• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion That you can't buy White Joy-Con is a crime against me, personally

oldpuck

Like Like
Pronouns
he/they
my OLED switch has worn the rubber covers on the sticks down to the plastic.

They're also showing signs of drift. I don't like the feel of after-market Joy-con (I got small hands, sue me).

I bought hall effect sticks. The Left replacement goes easy.

The Right stick replacement is trickier for some reason - ZIF connector not quite behaving.

I have a had tremor due to a medication I take to Not Be Crazy. This is a new med, I'm not used to it.

Tremor causes me to break off the contacts for the shoulder buttons. Not repairable.

Time to buy new Joy-Con... but you can't buy white Joy-Con! Only purchasable with the OLED model! I can't take Grey Joy-Con, I'll look like a plebe! I can't take colored Joy-Con, I'll look like a fan boy!

I have to buy used white Joy-Con that are likely already drifting which means I'll need to try to use this spare hall effect stick, risking making the break a second time.

Now I'm still mentally ill, and my Switch is broken till this replacement comes in.

Please pity me and/or mock me, it's the only thing that makes this frustration tolerable.

I’m certain the reason white JoyCons aren’t available for sale is because Nintendo didn’t want regular LCD Switch owners like myself masquerading as OLED Switch owners.

On a semi-related note, I regret not getting the Blue/Red JoyCons. Gray is boring. This only (barely) affects me when I play Ring Fit Adventure.

I’m certain the reason white JoyCons aren’t available for sale is because Nintendo didn’t want regular LCD Switch owners like myself masquerading as OLED Switch owners.
p r e m i u m. But I would be lying if the white color wasn't one of the things driving me to buy it.

I'm just absolutely furious with myself for doing something so stupid, and taking it out on Large Corporation With No Feelings

I got a pair used from a Japanese seller from eBay and they work great.

Now that I think of it, I've never had my Joycons drift. Not a single one.

I got a pair used from a Japanese seller from eBay and they work great.

Now that I think of it, I've never had my Joycons drift. Not a single one.
Lucky. I've been through a bunch of them, which is why I decided the replacement was worth it.

The only solution is to buy new non-White Joycons and replace the shell.
I need to be angry for a while, first, but yes, you are correct.

This exact thing happened to me over time and I recently just got some control stick covers, which do help a bit actually.

But yeah I agree, I really like the Panda black/white contrast of the Switch OLED joycons. I bet you can choose them in their exclusive mix and match service in Japan though...

This exact thing happened to me over time and I recently just got some control stick covers, which do help a bit actually.

But yeah I agree, I really like the Panda black/white contrast of the Switch OLED joycons. I bet you can choose them in their exclusive mix and match service in Japan though...
Time to go to Japan

You can get a lot of replacement parts off ali express. You may be able to get the part you need to repair it.

Alternatively if that's not possible, could get another coloured Joycon and replace the shell. You can definitely buy aftermarket replacement shells for peanuts if the one from your broken Joycon is damaged.

If you're up to replacing the shells yourself, I recommend the ones from "eXtremeRate". I got their black Joy-con shells a while back and they look and feel great. I think they even sell white dock faceplates too, if you want to complete the budget OLED look.

Also, TIL Nintendo doesn't sell white Joy-cons on their own.

The rubber on my white Joy-Con sticks has also worn off and it drives me mad. Somehow I never had this issue (I did have many other issues 😅) with the Joy-Con of my launch Switch despite having it for a longer time.

Last edited:
I was more annoyed that the black joycons never went on sale as far as I'm aware, they look so good with the Switch Dev Kits.

v015C2i.jpeg

Eventually just started shell replacing and now I've got two pairs lol, one with a D-Pad.

You have my pity! Even though I think the coloured red and blue Joy-Cons that came with the og Switch are really neat :D

Truthfully, I'm more cheesed we never got coloured Pro Controllers, not even once. With the see-through plastic on them, Atomic Purple Pro Controllers were an idea just sitting there and nothing was done.

give me leaded solder, a decent iron, a needle tip, a spool of hair thin copper wire, uv activated epoxy, and six hours and I could prove this wrong

Send the two SNES that need complete recapping that I have laying around to you, you say.

They're also showing signs of drift. I don't like the feel of after-market Joy-con (I got small hands, sue me).

I bought hall effect sticks. The Left replacement goes easy.

The Right stick replacement is trickier for some reason - ZIF connector not quite behaving.

I have a had tremor due to a medication I take to Not Be Crazy. This is a new med, I'm not used to it.

Tremor causes me to break off the contacts for the shoulder buttons. Not repairable.

Time to buy new Joy-Con... but you can't buy white Joy-Con! Only purchasable with the OLED model! I can't take Grey Joy-Con, I'll look like a plebe! I can't take colored Joy-Con, I'll look like a fan boy!

I have to buy used white Joy-Con that are likely already drifting which means I'll need to try to use this spare hall effect stick, risking making the break a second time.

Now I'm still mentally ill, and my Switch is broken till this replacement comes in.

Please pity me and/or mock me, it's the only thing that makes this frustration tolerable.
Do you want mine?

The rubber on my white Joy-Con sticks has also worn off and it drives me mad. Somehow I never had this issue (I did have many other issues 😅) with the Jot-Con of my launch Switch despite having it for a longer time.
It's the exact same part so probably luck, or playing different games maybe (the rubber on my white Joy-Cons died because of too many Mario Party Superstars games this holiday season) ! As said above, you can get replacements for extremely cheap on AliExpress. They don't stick as well as the Nintendo ones, but it works, and you can get joystick covers so that it's even more robust.

Joystick covers have one side effect, though:

they make your Switch look too cool

switch-covers.jpg

Do you want mine?
Assuming this is a genuine offer, I already bought a used replacement. But thank you. Did we determine we're roughly local to each other? I can't remember

give me leaded solder, a decent iron, a needle tip, a spool of hair thin copper wire, uv activated epoxy, and six hours and I could prove this wrong
I won't lie, I immediately assumed someone with Brains and Good Hands would jump in and offer to recap the whole thing.

Assuming this is a genuine offer, I already bought a used replacement. But thank you. Did we determine we're roughly local to each other? I can't remember
It was genuine! I am in the region and have three sets of JoyCon, so I can afford to lose one. :)

Are you in a region where Nintendo offers free repairs for drift? If you're concerned about getting a used pair that already drifts, could you buy used and then send it in for replacement if the drift is present?

edit - hadn't seen your newest comment, I see you have one now

Back
Top Bottom