• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Hardware TecToy is unveiling their new hardware "Zeenix" at Gamescom Latam (06/30)

CyberWolfBia

I talk more about games than I play them
Pronouns
She/Her
Pff, and you all are so excited about Switch 2! What about the Zeebo 2?!

image.png

Gamescom Latam is happening in São Paulo, Brazil from June 26 to 30; And TecToy is showing off their new hardware Zeenix (a clear and deliberate name to allude to their previous endeavor, the Zeebo) apparently is also a handheld! Alongside the system, they'll show a horror game running on Unreal Engine 5 (teaser image they published a couple of months ago below)...

GNfz3BZWsAAKM4_

As far I know, this isn't exactly new, despite the shock of them attempting a new hardware.. we've seen patents and rumors about this in inner circles from about 2 years by now.

But if you ask me, I wouldn't exactly count on TecToy as a legit contender on the hardware race.. this has a good chance of being one of those existing handheld PCs that are all over the market these days and they're just selling it here with their own branding; Wouldn't be the first time, since they have the same partnership with ATGames to sell their plug 'n plays here

tectoyferias2023-01.jpg

But we'll see!

Who is unveiling the what?
TecToy is a Brazilian company that in the 90's was SEGA's official distributor here; They worked with them from the Master System to Dreamcast (and they still got the license from SEGA to sell plug 'n plays and their own Master System models);

In 2009, they launched their own system, the Zeebo, a cheap ass mobile console running on BREW OS and Qualcomm's chipset. Long story short, it wasn't successful, it lasted only 2 years in the market and since it was a digital-only system (first of its kind), everything was shut down once they discontinued production.

Now, they are trying again with a handheld, the Zeenix. I don't think the odds are on their favor, but that's just me 🤷‍♀️

EDIT: Wow, just now I noticed how the name Zeenix is a combination of Zeebo and Fênix (Phoenix), as in the bird that reborn from ashes lmao; even their logo is alluding to that.

capa2.webp

this has a good chance of being one of those existing handheld PCs that are all over the market these days and they're just selling it here with their own branding;
is there even a white label version of these yet? the closest company i could consider doing such a thing is Ayaneo, considering the sheer amount of models they've made.

regardless. there's no way they could get Unreal Engine 5 running on famiclone/Genesis clone hardware at least.

I'm really excited to see what they're cooking and I hope they get a lot of Sega last gen ports on board.
Zeebo was actually really ahead of its time but sadly not in a good way.
It's also wild to think that technically Mega Drive/Genesis never discontinued in Brazil and they always have some plug and play version really cheap selling with 30+ games.
Very curious to see if this horror game will be self published and who's making it.

They removed the “portable” from the event description so that might have been an oopsie 😅 though they did post a teaser talking about playing and buying anywhere (“free your game” seems to be the slogan) so that already sounded like a handheld or hybrid PC anyways

Back
Top Bottom