• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Tears of the kingdom vs Elden ring which will be more influential?

Which will be more influential?

• Tears of the kingdom

Votes: 48 53.9%
  • Elden ring

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • Havent played either so don't know

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
I just replayed both these games recently and both do open world action adventure so well. I perfered elden ring but totk was amazing too. Which do you think in the future will be more influential to the open world action adventure genre. Of course I see a ton of games getting inspiration from both but I have seen way more souls likes recently with lords of the fallen being a recent example. What does fami think?

Last edited:
I think we've already seen developers take inspiration from BotW on a few occasions but I don't know if they will take cues from Tears of the Kingdom to be honest, it didn't reïnvent a genre like BotW did.

Elden ring... Is Dark Souls Open World, but still Dark Souls so if there is a cue to be taken it's mostly from there.

Actually, I don't think either game will have a substantial amount of influence over games from other big developers in the future.

Unpopular opinion: hopefully neither are more influential than other games in their series. Devs are already taking the wrong lessons from BotW and the Souls series, and TotK and Elden Ring have a lot of more issues imo than other entries from the Zelda series or FromSoft games. I shudder at the thought of games getting half-assed vehicle building mechanics and more games going all in on more BS game design because hard = fun and clearly that's the only reason why Elden Ring is a good game. I like both of these games a lot, but I really don't want any more games to be like them. They're just very flawed and devs are already taking the wrong lessons from BotW and other Souls games.

Tears just seems challenging for most developers honestly. Like you have the chemistry engine, the new vehicle stuff, the glue, fusion system, time rewind, ascend. Just absurd potential for player created fun through crazy breadth of mechanics.

Elden Ring is Dark Souls in an open world. The best thing it has going for it vs other open world games is that it has a relatively large amount of fresh content (yes I know there are reused bosses and some level geometry, but compare it to Horizon/AC etc and the variety is way higher), and few map icons (much like BOTW).

Hopefully future open worlds will be less repetitive, and have more fun player driven mechanics in a broad sense.

Oh yeah, the whole map reuse thing from TOTK/Spiderman (and a lesser extent GOW Ragnarok), will probably become a bigger thing. Hopefully devs remix existing maps more if they keep doing this, cause I don't love it.

Last edited:
It's technically easier to be inspired by Elden Ring open world philosophy than do something in the vein of Botw/Totk physics engine if devs want to tackle high-end graphical fidelity as well.

But ultimately I think they will just be influential for the studios that made them. From and Aonuma's team got their respective Goty and best selling game.

Other AAA devs don't understand/are too afraid to make a game that doesn't insult player's intelligence and make them actively curious about the world and discovering mechanics by themselves.

The fact that, despite the load of content Elden Ring has, more than half of people who bought it have finished it (and even with the most elaborate ending) is a miracle, not something that can be easily replicated.

half-assed vehicle building mechanics and more games going all in on more BS game design because hard = fun and clearly that's the only reason why Elden Ring is a good game.
Half-assed vehicle building? Lmao

Also ER definitely has a lot more going on than just being hard, especially since it's the easiest of the bunch, or rather, it's the one where you are given infinite possibilities to overcome anything and you don't even have many real roadblocks since you can just go anywhere else and do side content that will make you overlevelled pretty easily.

Anything Tears would influence would be something BotW already did in terms of its general approach to open world design philosophy, which Tears carried over. So I’d still consider that BotW influence.

The new stuff Tears specifically added (Ultrahand, Fuse, Ascend, Zonai tools) is just so fucking crazy and ambitious, and so specifically Zelda-coded, that other devs won’t even bother. It’s the epitome of Zelda’s tool-based logic/puzzle adventure gameplay. That’s something most other games don’t even try to replicate in the first place, even back during “traditional” 3D Zelda, much less to the extent that Tears did it. Maybe if we see more open worlds with tiers/extreme verticality I guess that could be TOTK influence?

Similarly anything Elden Ring would influence, you could probably just get away with calling that Dark Souls influence since ER is basically open world DS.

So yeah, I’d say… neither?

Last edited:
Neither?

Elden Ring was big Dark Souls. Dark Souls will continue to be aped, but Elden Ring isn’t especially unique in what it does.

Tears of the Kingdom was very much Breath of the Wild++. In most cases developers will still be chasing Breath of the Wild. You could argue some developers might try to allow more building and creativity that comes with it, but I don’t even want Nintendo to return to it. Happy to have it be a once-off.

The main thing I'm hoping Tears, specifically, may influence things is mainly in the form how the various hand abilities are ripe for being used as the basis for games starring superheroes or any other player character that may have strange/special abilities. Not unlike how once Max Payne worked in Matrix-style Bullet Time into a game, you had so many others working to take it for themselves and expand upon it.

Any one of those main abilities could have been expanded on as the base power for a game. Tears had FOUR.

There's already been an explosion of dodge-roll combat games in the last 8 years, and Elden Ring just takes that to an open world. The most we've seen other games take from BOTW has been gliders and bright colors. TotK likely won't inspire much more than that.

So yeah, I’d say… neither?
Pretty much. Elden Ring is still following the Souls formula. Tears of the Kingdom is still following the open air formula. In addition, TotK’s mechanics would be difficult to replicate for other studios.

Both will hopefully be influential in showin publishers and gamers that there's nothin wrong with heavy asset reuse 🙏
This is the real lesson to learn lol

Yeah I agree with everyone saying neither. Tears especially I can’t see being influential at all. It’s far too specific and probably requires too much work.

Whereas BotW was already influential, and elden ring is just the natural conclusion of “open world souls”

I'm not sure what Elden ring being "open world dark souls" takes away from it being influential. The world design was immaculate and the way you do progess hasn't really been done in other games. It very easily can be influential.

Tears of the kingdom open world vertically definitely could be a definition of new game open worlds.

Ya’ll underselling Tears. The way the glider in Botw influenced so many games, I can see developers taking inspiration from Ascend and even adding their own twist on it. Hell, I can see more games utilizing weapon fusion and vehicle building

Oh yeah, the whole map reuse thing from TOTK/Spiderman (and a lesser extent GOW Ragnarok), will probably become a bigger thing. Hopefully devs remix existing maps more if they keep doing this, cause I don't love it.
I agree, and I'm afraid this is all developers will take away from TotK. And you know, anything that can simplify the development process I'm for in principle, but in TotK's case it did not serve the game well at all. Majora's Mask figured out a clever way to do asset reuse over 20 years ago, TotK doesn't have enough of the same tricks, it just reuses the world straight up and doesn't have enough interesting ideas in how it changes it to compensate for the fact that in a game about exploration they're making you explore the same world.

I agree, and I'm afraid this is all developers will take away from TotK. And you know, anything that can simplify the development process I'm for in principle, but in TotK's case it did not serve the game well at all. Majora's Mask figured out a clever way to do asset reuse over 20 years ago, TotK doesn't have enough of the same tricks, it just reuses the world straight up and doesn't have enough interesting ideas in how it changes it to compensate for the fact that in a game about exploration they're making you explore the same world.
I can daydream up a ton of ideas about how TotK could’ve changed up its world more, but I think in principle, OoT/MM and BotW/TotK are so different in how they approach their world design that the comparison isn’t really a simple as that, imo.

Ocarina and MM have worlds that have some level of abstractness to them. They don’t account for scale, they’re segmented, they have boundaries, they’re specifically designed for that game and it makes their worlds feel more “gamey.” Reusing the world for MM wouldn’t make sense because it was so specifically designed for OoT.

BotW’s world is masterfully designed, but it’s something totally different. It’s absolutely massive, for one, but it’s way more “realistic.” Every single thing is defined in a single seamless space. Because of that can’t pull what they used to for depictions of Hyrule across different games where locations can shift or change size and people don’t really question it because of that abstract nature. If you’re making a BotW sequel and Gerudo desert shifts to the east side of the map it’s just way more jarring, for example.

There’s also the simple fact that the world is just so big that, at least personally, I couldn’t possibly commit all of that to memory so a lot of it still felt new even after 200 hours in BotW. There’s just tons of quiet space that was ripe to be used in a sequel, and in many cases, was used in for points of interest in TotK. You couldn’t really get that if you reused OoT’s map.

All of this really circled back to my curiosity at the long term future of the series - BotW depicted “classic” Hyrule so definitively, so massively, so seamlessly instead of feeling like it was a curated series of levels designed specifically for a linear game, that I don’t think the team sees a point in doing that all over again for the traditional Death Mountain, Hyrule Field, Zora’s Domain, Faron Woods setup in terms of Open Air games. So I totally get why they reused it instead of arbitrarily moving shit around.

There’s enough room for even more adventures in the same Hyrule, probably even more changed than TOTK. Like, say another sequel 20 years after BotW and there’s a bustling town now built in Buttfuck, Hebra with a dungeon next to it that feels brand new because no one remembers that random snowfield with a single Korok in it from BotW. Burn down Korok forest and make it a badlands area, I don’t know. There’s so much quiet space they could play with, so I don’t think that’s the problem. I think the problem was that there wasn’t enough significant POI’s like new towns and stuff in previously unoccupied areas of BotW. Which I can get, but it personally didn’t bother me too much.

But yeah, now that they’ve said they’re done with that Hyrule, I think we’re in for an open air Zelda that DOESN’T rely on typical Hyrule location tropes - which is incredibly exciting to me. No death mountain, no Zora’s domain. Something completely brand new. I’m so interested to see how they handle it.

Sorry this became rambling, I just find the current state of Zelda and potential future so interesting lol.

Last edited:
I haven't played Elden Ring so I wouldn't even know what's original about it and so far no one has been able to explain it, but I'm sure it's not TotK. That's a derivation that only really works if you have a solid template, that already requires a decade of development work. You couldn't pitch that to anyone.

In what sense can elden ring be more influential? How does elden ring innovate or what make a game souls like? (seriouse question)
I did search some things about this, but i really want to know the most correct answer.
Difficult games were already a thing during the nes area. And slow combat integration (start delay and end delay) was also a thing within some of the older games. (I did played dark souls on switch already.)

I feel like the majority in this thread; Elden Ring and TotK don't really bring anything "new" to the table; If you feel a game has been inspired by them, then chances are those inspired aspects can be traced back to BotW or to a previous Souls game.

I feel like the majority in this thread; Elden Ring and TotK don't really bring anything "new" to the table; If you feel a game has been inspired by them, then chances are those inspired aspects can be traced back to BotW or to a previous Souls game.

Yep.

Best of luck to any developer who even attempts to be inspired by TOTK.

Souls games are much easier to rip-off which is why Souls clones are a dime a dozen even from lower budget studios (From is still obviously the king of Souls style games though).

The things that make TOTK different from BOTW are worth taking influence from, but they're also so complex, so dependent on an unbroken decades-long chain of institutional knowledge, so reliant on being able to take essentially infinite time to make sure that they work properly, that I just don't think that anyone could feasibly take inspiration from TOTK in a meaningful way. Maybe in the layered world design? But certainly not in the fusion, build, or interactive physics mechanics

Elden Ring is a wonderful game and an engaging open world but it is also Dark Souls With Horse, and doesn't provide any meaningful innovations in terms of its mechanics

Given that other developers are only just now getting the essentials down for Dark Souls inspiration, and still aren't quite there with capturing Breath of the Wild, I think we'll continue to see more focus on those two games rather than TOTK or ER

I agree with the idea that they're probably ultimately being inspired by Dark Souls, but more developers will say they've been inspired by ER for their games than ToTK. Pretty sure it already happened with something or another

ToTK is a very hard game to be directly inspired by and I doubt we'll see many games successfully attempt something similar. Not everyone has the Zelda team handy

Yeah, I’m with everyone else in that neither game will be particularly influential. They’re both, at the end of the day, iterating off of what came before. Most of the influence will still come from BotW and Dark Souls

I mean I can see more open world Souls type games being attempted akin to Elden Ring, but the unique aspects from TOTK like the Zonai devices on top of the emergent systems will be too intimidating to get done with that same amount of polish.

So I doubt that would happen.

Hmm I doubt many games are going to use the arm crafting of totk, on the other hand what can ER influence that hasn't already been done by dark souls?,

I feel like TOTK, despite being insanely good and revolutionary, is a sequel to a game the was already revolutionary. Elden ring on the other hand is fully unique, with no prior entry existing (that’s open world anyway)

Back
Top Bottom