• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Take Two is acquiring Zynga in a deal valued at $12.7bn

DrearyOrnateCaracal-size_restricted.gif

Putting all those GTA Online profits to good use before inflation makes it all (even more) worthless.

this would be the most expensive acquisition in the gaming industry so far

It's cool that they have the list inflation-adjusted there as well - because it's absolutely mindboggling to me that this acquisition being around 4-6 times more expensive than the Bandai Namco deal, Facebook buying Oculus, and Microsoft buying Mojang has nothing to do with inflation. I know the industry is growing but hot damn.

These acquisition prices always just make me think Microsoft got away with robbery when they purchased Minecraft for as little as they did.

I wonder if NIntendo is planning to buy more studios this year and expanding them?

Camelot really needs to expand.

Nintendo's expansion plans seem to be more focused on their internal teams as of now. I think they're probably happy getting a 1-2 million seller out of Camelot every 3 years but that's it.

These acquisition prices always just make me think Microsoft got away with robbery when they purchased Minecraft for as little as they did.
compared the acquisitions that have happened since then, both mojang and zenimax were bought for really cheap.

hahahaha Disney didn't pay that much for fucking Star Wars

Disney bought Pixar for $7.4bn and Marvel Entertainment for $4bn, for a total of $11.4bn.

In a way, Pixar movies and the MCU are only $1.3bn short of FarmVille and Words with Friends.

E: Lucasfilm was $4bn. So I guess you can get Pixar, the MCU and either Star Wars or Indiana Jones for a Zynga.

Last edited:
Disney didn't pay that much for fucking Star Wars
This is not how this works or really a great response. Personally whilst Disney will be happy to own Star Wars I think they've struggled to make their investment back and have basically had to pause most of how they planned to do so whilst they work out what to do next.

Zynga is more than just its product brands.

This is not how this works or really a great response. Personally whilst Disney will be happy to own Star Wars I think they've struggled to make their investment back and have basically had to pause most of how they planned to do so whilst they work out what to do next.

Zynga is more than just its product brands.
not a great response? I didn't realize this was a board meeting

They could have made thousands of Space Station Silicon Valley sequels with that kind of money. Talk about money wasted.
You’ll get Space Station Silicon Valley idle clicker, where you need to wait 12 hours before you get the energy to take over a robot animal.

honest question, what else does zynga do? like do they own mobile microtransaction patents or something
I mean your not far off - they will have systems, infrastructure, expertise - all the things a matured business builds up. They still have significant amounts of users as well which is valuable to Take Two in itself. Think of all the data Zynga have on gamers behaviours, buying patterns. Take Two meanwhile are arguably a bit behind when you look at other major players.

This is not an asset strip. The value is the company itself. Are they worth that? Maybe, maybe not but either way its a deal in the high billions.

It always fascinating to see how these mega companies are valuated. Current games, planned games, proprietary tech, workforce experience, etc. So complicated!

Honestly, when I was at Zynga during the messy Mattrick years, it really felt like it wouldn't be around for much longer. I'm happy that they were able to turn things around, and it's shocking by how much.

I mean your not far off - they will have systems, infrastructure, expertise - all the things a matured business builds up. They still have significant amounts of users as well which is valuable to Take Two in itself. Think of all the data Zynga have on gamers behaviours, buying patterns. Take Two meanwhile are arguably a bit behind when you look at other major players.
GTA Online 2 is going to be hella gross is all I’m hearing 😬

The real infuriating thing about this is Take Two being an already great mobile supporter, even the western publisher with the best lineup on mobile. They had full versions of games like Bioshock, Civilization 2 and XCOM 1 and XCOM 2. Now they're looking to end full paid games and delve into Zynga's MTX heaven. Mobile really is steadily becoming one of the darkest corners of the gaming world.

Weird how Zynga is worth 12 billion dollars. Sounds wrong, but I’m sure they know how to value companies.

Weird how Zynga is worth 12 billion dollars. Sounds wrong, but I’m sure they know how to value companies.
they are valued at around 5 to 6 billion. take two is paying a large premium to buy all the shares.

Back
Top Bottom