• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion [Take From Kotaku] Dear Metroid Dread: Samus Doesn’t Need To Be An Emotionless Robot To Be Badass

Can't wait for the companion article: "Dear DOOM: The Slayer Doesn’t Need To Be An Emotionless Meatsack To Be Badass." I'm sure they'll be posting it aaaaany day now.

Can't wait for the companion article: "Dear DOOM: The Slayer Doesn’t Need To Be An Emotionless Meatsack To Be Badass." I'm sure they'll be posting it aaaaany day now.
Nah, its kotaku, so you need to maximize the debate: “Open Letter to DOOM Developers: How the Doomslayer stoicism reinforces the toxic masculinity stereotypes in gamers”

Last edited:
I did wonder if we were perhaps throwing the baby (Other M pun maybe intended) out with the bathwater as far as Samus' character in the Mercury Steam games, but the further I got into Dread, the more that worry faded away. I don't really care for the "badass" label thrown around; she comes off as much more seasoned and poised in Dread. You can see it in her eyes, especially. At the same time, I also...didn't really have a problem with Other M's depiction of Samus. She still has plenty of similar moments of "action-heroine-badass" but she's actually presented with a different dynamic of having to go about her mission while consciously thinking of other living people on the ship. It's not an isolated adventure and the game does reflect that, probably not as well as it could have, but it did. The biggest crime against Samus in Other M was her VO/dialogue. Very droning, monotone delivery and a lot of it.

And I know people will point to Samus freezing up during the Ridley scene in Other M as a "betrayal" to her character, but I don't blame the continuity for that as much as I believe that scene was just an idea they had a chance to flesh out in 2010 that they didn't have in 2002, as there's no scene like that in Fusion. But in Zero Mission, released in 2004, Ridley's entrance has a small cutscene with Samus' eyes widening, like she couldn't believe who she was seeing. I think the intent was always there but they weren't able to implement it until an awkward point in the timeline. But it all checked out to me. Plus, during that fight, she was just as much of a hero as she always was.

The lines they gave Samus to speak in Dread were brilliantly done. Having her speak in Chozo to a respected elder plays into her more seasoned persona in Dread I previously mentioned.

All this being said, I didn't read the article and based on Kotaku's recent output, I don't plan to. But I really don't understand the article's timing. Feels incredibly clickbait-y.

I don't even know if I'd say she showed emotion in Other M. Maybe fear? Slightly? It was also earlier in her career than Dread. Much earlier.
I mean, by the time you get to Dread she's survived multiple planet explosions, a giant space dragon trying to kill her countless time, a killer clone hunting her down and basically dying and only surviving by becoming part of the thing she was trying to save the universe from.

Samus has seen enough shit in her life by this point that there's likely nothing can could phase her.

I prefer the strong silent type.

Way too much hammy dialogue in gaming today.

Kotaku is a joke.

Oh come on now, we all saw what talkative Samus is and it doesn't work with the way her character was built.

Back
Top Bottom