• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Switch surpasses all time sales records in France at 7.1 million sold.

The home console thing is a bit weird since sales include the lite. Anyway it is the second best selling system ever in France which is incredible by itself. And DS was way cheaper.
10,5% of French population owns a switch.
The top sellers are also mostly switch softwares.
Being French, I can totally witness how Nintendo is on top. It is like a mini-Japan lol. Although Playstation situation is healthier here than Japan : Nintendo is the leader but Sony is in a good spot too.

What is the French word for weeb so I can welcome you into the fold, friends
There is no such word in French since a weeb is just a regular French person lol :p. We were weebs before the weebs, Anime started airing in French theaters in the late 60's.

There is no such word in French since a weeb is just a regular French person lol :p. We were weebs before the weebs, Anime started airing in French theaters in the late 60's.
Your people are a people of culture

French speaking people (with maybe the big exception of Western Africa, I don't know) have a long history of exposure to Japanese audiovisual culture. It is quasi-universally liked.

Otak' (shortened from otaku) has to be the "better" equivalent although I don't know if it's still as used as 15 years ago..
Yeah, it was all the rage back then. I hated it because I knew all the negative implications it actually had in Japan. Nowadays it is not as used, some people are now aware it is a rather pejorative word. People tend to use the more broad term "geek" it seems

We've always had a special love for Nintendo in France. I read that it was one of the best selling countries for the Wii U outside of the two big markets. If they do the Game Boy Color trick again, counting apples and pears, NSW+Drake will end up far exceeding DS sales in France and worldwide. They will even be able to boast of having surpassed the Playstation 2, if they follow this route in terms of marketing, which wouldn't make much sense.

Of course, all this depends absolutely on their ability to guarantee full backwards compatibility of their next hardware. And I'm a little worried about that because according to Youtube for the past two days, that's not going to happen. Nintendo is doomed.

French speaking people (with maybe the big exception of Western Africa, I don't know) have a long history of exposure to Japanese audiovisual culture. It is quasi-universally liked.
We can thank the "Club Dorothée" for this. Dragon Ball Z was huge in the 90s here.

We've always had a special love for Nintendo in France. I read that it was one of the best selling countries for the Wii U outside of the two big markets. If they do the Game Boy Color trick again, counting apples and pears, NSW+Drake will end up far exceeding DS sales in France and worldwide. They will even be able to boast of having surpassed the Playstation 2, if they follow this route in terms of marketing, which wouldn't make much sense.

There's still a fair chance switch passes the DS and PS2 worldwide without any marketing tricks, and at this point, if it doesn't, nothing ever will. If it hits the forecast prediction for FYApril22-March23, it should be around 125.5m by March, and then there's 30m to go. 2023 should still be fairly strong with tears of the kingdom, continuing support for heavy hitters like Zelda (season pass is basically inevitable), Splatoon3, Mario kart, Fire Emblem Engage and Xenoblade 3 through the year, as well as whatever unannounced software Nintendo has cooking should mean at absolute worst, there's a floor of 140m lifetime at this point. And that last 15m should be reasonable if they don't drop support like a rock in 2024 (Splatoon at least is getting supported through mid 2024)

Even though I'm absolutely convinced that Nintendo will continue to release attractive games - this nonsense about Nintendo deciding to stop doing it, as if cross-gen didn't exist, seems absolutely crazy to me - I'm not as optimistic as you are. On the one hand, because I think that the shortages that handicapped the PS5 and the XSX will seriously fade away. On the other hand because I think it's better for Nintendo if the sales you're talking about are for their next hardware.

Back
Top Bottom