• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Switch OLED users: Standard or Vivid mode?

Switch OLED owners - what color profile are you using?

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
unknown.png

So the Switch OLED includes two color profiles - a "standard" one which is basically what the colors would look like on an LCD screen, and a "vivid" one, which skews towards oversaturation to make the colors look more, well, vivid, and pop.

Which color profile are you using, as a Switch OLED owner?

Personally, I'm vivid all the way. Yeah, yeah, less accurate and all that shit, I don't really give a fuck. Vivid looks nicer, the colors look richer, the image pops more. I'll live with my red looking redder than the developer intended, thank you very much.

What about you?

I use standard at around 90% brightness because it looks almost exactly the same as my oled tv so the experience I get docked and undocked is basically the same.

I feel shame for my vivid mode use, considering I'm a stickler for color accuracy, but there's just something about the SWOLED that makes me crumble to the tasty colors.

I've been using vivid because it was selected by default and now I just cannot go back to standard, I tried but vivid is so much better in my opinion.

Started with Vivid but changed it to Standard with near max brightness. Looks fantastic, so I don't think I'll be going back.

Wich mode is on automaticly vivid? Cuz if so that one if not ill try it later today for sure!

I don't own an OLED Switch but based on my limited experience with OLED displays, i would go lower brightness VIVID and higher brightness STANDARD. The mode picked would be game dependent but i would likely have standard as default.

Going vivid for now, even adjusted my Samsung QLED to native colours because of it. Like the more intensive colours even if they might be less accurate.

Vivid. I have my TV set to proper color temp, backlight, brightness, etc, etc.

For gaming handheld? I want the POP :D

Accuracy needs damned

I didn’t know there was an option so it’s set to the default and I have no desire to change it

Hope no one is upset I left it to the default.

I went with Standard due to color accuracy, but I switch between them all the time. I wish there was a quick option to switch from standard to vivid, maybe by holding the home button down. Tetris Effect Connected is really making me want to go with vivid tho, whoooo boy...

I started off with Vivid but it looked too different from my CX when I was going back and forth. Switched to Standard and they pretty much look the same now.

To be honest, even Standard looks a lot nicer than the original Switch so I'm happy.

I've only played one game so far on my OLED and that's been a bleedin' ancient Game Boy game... Mystic Quest. It did pop in fifty VIVID shades of beige though.

I think I will be alternating depending on the game. Mario Odyssey yes... Bioshock perhaps no...

EDIT: I hooked up my spare dock to our bedroom telly (it's an old Toshiba but it still does 1080p60) and I couldn't believe how washed out the colours looked. I had it set to "natural" as that is how I used to prefer to game on it before we upgraded the living room TV to a Philips ambilight. Very stark contrast.

It’s a petty red is off in both modes. I had a perfect 6500k calibrated V1 and V2 Switch and the OLED has better contrast for sure, but it lacks red (too much green and blue). Unfortunately that was confirmed by all the tests and impressions I’ve seen so far.

Still prefer to have the bigger screen and the better contrast of OLED, but why don’t we have a simple calibration setting. I’d love to add some red to the standard mode.

And no, vivid doesn’t fix that, it adds more extreme colors where they where not supposed to be. I want my pure Mario Red ☺️

I waffled back and forth a bit but stuck it on vivid after trying a few levels in Smash. Just looks better man!

Back
Top Bottom