• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Switch Games To Travel With

juuso

Koopa
You are traveling with a Nintendo Switch and a carrying case that fits five cartridges. Which games will you put there? And what should go in the Switch itself?

I am not looking for the best 5+1 games on Switch, but a versatile collection of 5+1 games to keep you entertained on a travel. Perhaps you want the opportunity to share the joy with some multiplayer games, or maybe you want to do the Mario, and pick only Super Mario games?

You are limited to games with a physical release. Please offer some explanation for your picks, not just the individual games but more importantly the whole collection.

This is not a hypothetical situation:

IMG-2749.jpg

(I have most games digitally, but picked up TotK and Mario Wonder just in case I need something safe and familiar, and put Mario Kart 8 in the Switch to finally try out the DLC)

Exclusives:

1. Pikmin 4
2. Fire Emblem Warriors
3. Fire Emblem Engage
4. Super Mario Maker 2
5. Xenoblade 2

Multiplat:

1. Octopath Traveler 2
2. Theatrhythm
3. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
4. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
5. Monster Hunter Stories 2

I think Clubhouse Games is worthy of a spot here. Rock solid collection of some of the most enduring games...ever! And many of them can be played with someone else right from handheld mode.

On the airplane I was on a week ago, I played:
Animal Crossing Happy Home Paradise
N64 NSO games
Persona 5R
Pokemon Violet
FE Engage

I think Clubhouse Games is worthy of a spot here. Rock solid collection of some of the most enduring games...ever! And many of them can be played with someone else right from handheld mode.
One of the most magical moments of "Nintendo Switch" being all Nintendo Switch is when I met a friend on a train by chance and we wanted to play chess, so I took out my Switch, popped in 51 Worldwide Games, and we played with touch.

Especially good on the 7" OLED Model panel.

Speaking of this magic, Super Smash Bros., which I played in tabletop mode with friends during downtime at university open days and tours, also great for travel. It's essentially endless and pretty mentally stimulating, internet or not

Depends on how I'm traveling. My girlfriend and I are going to Japan next year and have a few long-ish train trips planned so if I had to build a library that fits these criteria I'd go

Monster Hunter Rise (+ Sunbreak) in the cart slot
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp
Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line
Snipperclips

Basically a mix of games with varying levels of intensity and level of commitment, i.e. MH is pretty intense and hunts can take a while but they have a pre-determined ending. FFXII is mid intensity but play sessions could last me for hours. Theathythm can be quite intense but levels are relatively short etc. And Snipperclips is our go-to tabletop multiplayer game.

BotW
MK8DX
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
DQXIS
Metroid Dread

I feel like that’s more than enough to keep me engaged!

Currently in my Waterfield travel case for my holiday family visit:
Mario Wonder (in the system)
MK 8DX
Smash Ultimate
Switch Sports
Super Mario Party
Clubhouse Games
TotK
Kirby Star Allies (in case Wonder is too much for people)
Katamari Damacy Re-roll

I'm bringing:

Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life
Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line (stays in the console)
Shin Megami Tensei V
HARVESTELLA
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Final Fantasy XII

I'm glad I'm not limited to 5. I buy all digital and a 1TB microSD card so I can just have everything everywhere.

But I'll bring:

1. Tears of the Kingdom - can always find something to do
2. Metroid Prime Remastered - Always up for a re-play and it's such a great looking game
3. TUNIC - I recently started playing again and would use the travel time to dig in further
4. DOOM Eternal - lots of challenge to go back to, and an impressive feat on Switch
5. Tetris Effect Connected - sometimes I can't decide what to play in travel situations. Tetris is never a bad idea

and +1: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

My carrying case is 8+1, though for the sake of 5+1, I'll do two list based upon if multiplayer is expected or not.

No multiplayer

Zelda BotW/TotK
Rune Factory 3/4 Special
Metroid Dread/Prime
Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
The Great Ace Attorney Collection

Multiplayer expected

Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Bomberman R/2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Puyo Puyo Tetris 1/2
Super Mario Bros Wonder/3D World

For the /'s, both titles scratch the same itch for why I'd include them on this list. I'd also put /'s for AA1-3 and AA4-6 collections but was lazy.

• Animal crossing, especially if traveling to a tropical island
  • Smash ultimate, just because it’s a multiplayer game I can pretty much always jump into
  • Mario kart, same reason as smash
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris (either 1 or 2), always good to have a puzzle game to pass the time
  • Kirby and the forgotten land, so me and whoever I sit next to can journey together through the forgotten lands

I will preface this in that I have kids so need mostly multiplayer games and also travelled for work so have a ton of time with certain games so know what actually works for how I travel.

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Obvious choice for solo and multiplayer. A must have for travel.

2. Clubhouse games. So many great games and easy for pick up and play or short bursts.

3. Animal Crossing New Horizons: another game that easy for pick up and play sessions and has that daily loop that really works for travel.

4. Super Smash Bros Ultimate: great for multiplayer but also can put it on in music player mode when I was working or relaxing in the hotel.

5. Sega Genesis Classics: I know the emulation isn’t that great, but there are so many options here that it’s nice to have since we don’t have Nintendo compilations.

6. Tetris Effect: have to have a puzzle game and this one is the best one in physical format.

This list basically takes out most of the big single player games but find those are often harder to work into a packed travel schedule. Like this variety and actually have this (except the Sega games as I use NSO normally for classics) as a pretty standard setup when I go out currently.

One of the most magical moments of "Nintendo Switch" being all Nintendo Switch is when I met a friend on a train by chance and we wanted to play chess, so I took out my Switch, popped in 51 Worldwide Games, and we played with touch.

Especially good on the 7" OLED Model panel.

Speaking of this magic, Super Smash Bros., which I played in tabletop mode with friends during downtime at university open days and tours, also great for travel. It's essentially endless and pretty mentally stimulating, internet or not

Currently in my Waterfield travel case for my holiday family visit:
Mario Wonder (in the system)
MK 8DX
Smash Ultimate
Switch Sports
Super Mario Party
Clubhouse Games
TotK
Kirby Star Allies (in case Wonder is too much for people)
Katamari Damacy Re-roll
Love the clubhouse games recognition. Such a great collection.

Step 1: Count your money
Step 2: Replace TotK with BotW and Super Mario Wonder with NSMBU.
Step3: Reapply a new screen protector, I mean what's even the point, that corner... agh.
Step 4: Fill out your needlessly limited carrying case with whatever you want. Are you going to drop $180 dollars to fill out the remaining 3 physical games based arbitrarily on random people on the internets sparsely explained suggestions? Barely anyone is providing reasons anyway. Clubhouse Games? A single game that is a collection of 51 games, yeah, of course. It's also a game that is better off digital anyways. We don't even know what you already have digitally.
Step 5: Carry around Ring Fit Adventure and Nintendo Labo Vehicle Kit. At least they are only available physically and you will appear to be an eccentric who can't make up their own minds while on your travels.
Step 6: Don't take my post to heart, also Just Dance 20-whatever.

I'm actually about to go on my own holiday with my Switch, my carrying case is able to hold more than 5 games but I'll play along:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Super Mario Bros Wonder
Super Mario Maker 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

That should keep me covered on the "pick up, play for a bit, put back down" front

I travel every 2 weeks for my job and here is what i bring with my switch:
1.- The game im currently playing (In this case, DQ11)
2.- A quick game, (Mario Kart 8, Mario Wonder or Clubhouse)
3.- Something grindy (Monster Hunter Generations)
4.- A roguelike (Isaac is always great for this)
5.- A Backlog game (Nier Automata and baten kaitos are looking for me)
6.- A comfort game (Smash Bros, 3D All Stars, etc)

Of course the NSO and the digital library of indies is always a great choice but for me are these games.

This is why you get one of those ButterFox Switch cases that have 19 game slots, so you can always have 20 physical games on you in total!

Back
Top Bottom