• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Switch best selling console for December in the United States, Pokemon S/V No.2

Luminoth9090

Moblin
Banned
December 2022 NPD (National Purchase Diary) covers the period from November 27, 2022 to December 31, 2022 in the USA.

https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...-1-revenue-nsw-2-update-full-report-out.1311/

December Hardware:
  • Units: NSW #1, PS5 #2, XBS #3
  • Revenue: PS5 #1, NSW #2, XBS #3
2022 hardware:
  • Units: NSW #1, PS5 #2, XBS #3
  • Revenue: PS5 #1, NSW #2, XBS #3

Switch Best-Selling Console in the US in December, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series X|S​

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in the US in December 2022 in terms of units sold, according to figures from The NPD Group. NPD includes the dates for the five week period of November 27, 2022 to December 31, 2022.

The PlayStation 5 was the second best-selling console in December in terms of units sold, while the Xbox Series X|S came in third place. In terms of revenue. the PlayStation 5 was number one, followed by the Nintendo Switch in second and the Xbox Series X|S in third.

For the entire year of 2022, the Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in terms of units sold, followed by the PlayStation 5 in second and Xbox Series X|S in third. In terms of revenue, the PlayStation 5 was number one, followed by the Nintendo Switch in second and the Xbox Series X|S in third.

ps5-xbox-series-x-s-switch-new-2-1.jpg

Overall spending on video games in December were up two percent year-on-year from $7.43 billion to $7.58 billion. Spending on video game content decreased one percent from $5.60 billion to $5.55 billion, while video game hardware sales increased 16 percent from $1.32 billion to $1.53 billion.

Year-to-date sales for 2022 are down five percent from $59.62 billion to $56.56 billion. Spending on video game content in 2022 dropped seven percent from $50.83 billion to $47.48 billion, while video game hardware sales are up eight percent percent from $6.06 billion to $6.57 billion.

"U.S. consumer spending on video game content, hardware and accessories totaled $7.6B in December 2022, an increase of 2% when compared to a year ago," said The NPD Group Executive Director and Video Game Industry Advisor Mat Piscatella. "Hardware spending grew 16%, offsetting declines in both content (-1%) and accessories (-2%)."

"2022 spending totaled $56.6B, 5% below 2021 levels despite growth in hardware and subscription content spend. Factors impacting 2022 spending included continued supply constraints of console hardware, a relatively light slate of new premium releases, and macroeconomic conditions."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II remained the best-selling game (in terms of revenue) in its third month on the market and is the best-selling game of 2022.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet was up one spot to second place in its second place, while God of War: Ragnarök dropped one spot to third place. Madden NFL 23 and FIFA 23 were both up one spot to fourth and fifth places, respectively.

Need for Speed: Unbound was the top selling new release in December 2022 as it debuted in eighth place. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII: Reunion debuted in 10th place and The Callisto Protocol debuted in 17th place.

For the best-selling games of 2022 (in terms of revenue) Elden Ring came in second place, followed by Madden NFL 23 in third place, God of War: Ragnarök in fourth place, and LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga in fifth place.

Multiplatform software charts for December and 2022 followed by Switch software charts for December and 2022.
Note: Nintendo published games do not include digital eshop sales due to Nintendo not sharing the data.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for December 2022:​

FmrfxpSaUAIJtGu

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in year-to-date 2022:​

Fmrf1bkaYAE8-wt

Top 10 best-selling Nintendo games for December 2022:​

Fmrf40NagAEVzwM

Here are the top 10 best-selling Nintendo games in 2022:​

Fmrf83xaUAAOBso

Last edited:
It’s also the fifth year that Switch has been at the top of the US sales charts in units sold
Yes you are right, Users on InstallBase are saying that 2022 sales are around a flat 6 million.
From memory i think Switch's yearly US sales have been something like this:

2017: 4.88 million
2018: 5.64 million
2019: 6.48 million
2020: 8.98 million
2021: 7.61 million
2022: 6.00 million?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Damn Switch #1 another December and #1 another year lol.

I think it's a big feat for Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope and Just Dance 2023 to be 3rd and 4th place of Switch games sold in December.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet ending up in 6th of the year with only 1.5 month is wild. Arceus not falling behind is great too.

Also, can anybody tell me how well Bayonetta 3 charted in October?

Hardware tech fail of the year I guess.

Also long as Nintendo sticks to what works, switch 2 will be a winner.

Damn Switch #1 another December and #1 another year lol.

I think it's a big feat for Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope and Just Dance 2023 to be 3rd and 4th place of Switch games sold in December.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet ending up in 6th of the year with only 1.5 month is wild. Arceus not falling behind is great too.

Also, can anybody tell me how well Bayonetta 3 charted in October?

Multi Platform

7w4welN.jpg

Nintendo Switch

Last edited:
They are reporting factual information though and not estimating numbers but i'll link to InstallBase as well.
Thanks, I know you are right but vgchartz have been dodgy in their claims ever since ioi started posting on NeoGAF and that was a long time ago.

I estimate you, have always had. Your charts are awesome.

KFL is gonna become the franchise's first 10 million seller and I'm proud to be part of that history.

How much has it sold so far? What ever it is I'm glad this is the highest selling Kirby to date. It just sends a great message as far as my tastes are concerned that people want more of this. I just future 3D Kirby gets even more ambitious.

Kirby now big in the US, pink puff finally made it. I’m sure
Forbidden Land will get proper sequels.

They are reporting factual information though and not estimating numbers but i'll link to InstallBase as well.

First, thanks for the making the thread. Secondly, why give them clicks tho? And it’s NPD’s pr anyway.

It’s better to avoid giving vgchartz any more exposure in my opinion

Pokémon had an amazing year full stop.

It's really interesting how Mario Party is starting to go from a C tier spinoff, to something along the lines of Mariokart. I wouldnt be surprised if it outsold Luigis Mansion, or even New Super Mario Bros Deluxe.

It's a shame about Splatoon 3's relative lower performance. I think the marketing team completely and utterly failed in the West.

Switch Sports at number 5 for overall Switch games this year but the internet told me it bombed? That can't be right? /sarcasm

How much has it sold so far? What ever it is I'm glad this is the highest selling Kirby to date. It just sends a great message as far as my tastes are concerned that people want more of this. I just future 3D Kirby gets even more ambitious.
As of last September it's sold 5.2 million. 10 million might be a stretch, but we will have a better idea when we have Q4 numbers from the holidays.

The power of hardstyle

i think that song is meant to reference early mid 90s gabber and happy hardcore. hardstyle is a bit slower and came a bit later.

there's various stuff in there but hard to say since the bpm is a bit lower than most happy hardcore, though hardcore can be slower and yet too fast for most hardstyle.

four on the floor distorted kick drums are a part of a lot of genres but the uplifting Pokemon nature makes it more akin to happy hardcore in finished sound.

It's a shame about Splatoon 3's relative lower performance. I think the marketing team completely and utterly failed in the West.
Splatoon is the kind of game I could see having a high digital ratio. I’m not sure physical only charts give us an accurate picture of its performance. We know from the last Nintendo financial report that it’s Western sales have grown in the same timeframe when compared to Splatoon 2.

Splatoon is the kind of game I could see having a high digital ratio. I’m not sure physical only charts give us an accurate picture of its performance. We know from the last Nintendo financial report that it’s Western sales have grown in the same timeframe when compared to Splatoon 2.
I can say I'm one of the digital Splatoon folks. With how online focused it is + consistent updates it's great for in and out play sessions.

I didn't get a physical copy of Splatoon 2 until Black Friday 2021 ($26!) but that was well past that game became content complete.

Kirby outsold Switch Sports holy shit
Switch Sports might have a bigger digital ratio since it was cheaper on the eshop, the physical copies being sold with the gimmicky strap.

Splatoon 3 seems to do OK but not great physical. Again without digital it is impossible to get the full picture.

It is kind of irritating Nintendo refuses to report digital. I guess only enthusiasts care lol

Yes you are right, Users on InstallBase are saying that 2022 sales are around a flat 6 million.
From memory i think Switch's yearly US sales have been something like this:

2017: 4.88 million
2018: 5.56 million
2019: 6.44 million
2020: 8.98 million
2021: 7.67 million
2022: 6.00 million?
Not sure if true but I heard that it's the 5th year in a row that Switch is the best selling for the year in the US, which is unprecedented. Huge if true.

Not sure if true but I heard that it's the 5th year in a row that Switch is the best selling for the year in the US, which is unprecedented. Huge if true.
Of course it's true.

Just trying to figure out how this is possible though I thought the reason Nintendo hasn't released Switch 2 is because they're deathly afraid of the console transition, nothing at all to do with the fact that Switch is on pace to be the best selling platform ever:unsure:And what about all the momentum they lost because the Pro model didn't come out so it could run _____ third party game that Switch owners don't care about anyway:eek:

this fucking sucks!
Tell me about it. It's a great game, one of my favourites played this year. Don't sleep on it if you have even a passing interest in Marvel or strategy games (and don't be put off by the card based combat).

Another year, another big holiday period for Switch. Wonder what will happen next Christmas if rumours of a new Switch begin to pick up steam.

I wish Nintendo released digital sales

Same. But we do get sales updates directly from Nintendo every 3 months, as long as said game has shipped over 1M units (physical+digital) in the current fiscal year. Though because NPD doesn't release raw numbers, and because the Nintendo Financials release doesn't disclose the digital ratio per game, it's basically impossible to be certain of how much of those sales have been digital.

This is why japanese sales discussion is so popular, the amount of data we get is amazing.

Yes it's true, PS4 sold 5.45 million in 2017 and Switch has been the best selling console in the US from 2018 and the best selling console globally from 2019.

Last edited:
Pokémon had an amazing year full stop.

It's really interesting how Mario Party is starting to go from a C tier spinoff, to something along the lines of Mariokart. I wouldnt be surprised if it outsold Luigis Mansion, or even New Super Mario Bros Deluxe.

You're talking about Mario Party Superstars, right? Because Super Mario Party has outsold those two games by several million.

Yearly NPD winners from 1994, the 2022 number hasn't been leaked yet so it is just an estimation by users on InstallBase

1994: GEN - 3,27M
1995: SNES - 2,32M
1996: PS1 - 1,99M
1997: PS1 - 5,05M
1998: PS1 - 7,11M
1999: GMB - 7,21M
2000: GMB - 6,84M
2001: PS2 - 6,18M
2002: PS2 - ~8,50M
2003: GBA - ~7,70M
2004: GBA - ~7,10M
2005: PS2 - ~5,50M
2006: NDS - ~5,30M
2007: NDS - ~8,50M
2008: WII - 10,17M
2009: NDS - 11,19M
2010: NDS - 8,56M
2011: 360 - 7,24M
2012: 360 - 5,31M
2013: 3DS - 3,81M
2014: PS4 - 4,68M
2015: PS4 - 5,72M
2016: PS4 - 5,10M
2017: PS4 - 5,45M
2018: NSW - 5,64M
2019: NSW - 6,48M
2020: NSW - 8,98M
2021: NSW - 7,61M
2022: NSW - 5,80M to 6,00M

Using neogaf, resetera and Ludostrie.

Last edited:
And what about all the momentum they lost because
I mean, you're posting this shortly after numbers showing it's down to about 2/3 where it was two years ago. PS5 can't compete with Switch, but neither can Switch compete with past Switch.

or the development team made an uninspiring and completely safe sequel and left no room for any break out for the serie compared to past entries

or the development team made an uninspiring and completely safe sequel and left no room for any break out for the serie compared to past entries
Nah,

Considering that Splatoon 3 is one of the highest selling games of all time in Japan. It's really clear that the fault is the marketing. They just failed to show the appeal of Splatoon 3 to western audiences.

I mean, you're posting this shortly after numbers showing it's down to about 2/3 where it was two years ago. PS5 can't compete with Switch, but neither can Switch compete with past Switch.
I'm not sure which numbers you're referring to but the numbers overall are still incredibly good, and Nintendo may actually believe they can improve on them this year according to Forbes due to increased stock and other potential factors.

Back
Top Bottom