• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Super Smash Bros. is 25 years old

Mekanos

Physically Repellant
Pronouns
he/they

January 21, 1999 is when Super Smash Bros. released for the Nintendo 64 in Japan. It was Masahiro Sakurai's first time directing a non-Kirby game and became one of the best selling games on the console, launching what would be one of Nintendo's most successful and iconic franchises.

I’m 31.

In a way. A series I was old enough to grow alongside it. If that makes sense.

The series might not be for me anymore. But boy do I enjoy the marketing for it in todays world

Damn. Smash Bros can go rent a car now. Hopefully they got full insurance for that rental!

9-funny-gif-cars_1067603.gif

I’m 31.

The series might not be for me anymore. But boy do I enjoy the marketing for it in todays world
I'm also in my early 30s and the fact that I can say I anticipated every release of this series does make me feel a certain way lol

Ultimate was my favorite entry, but I'm skeptical the next one can top it for me. It's been a hell of a ride, either way.

Checks out. We didn’t get the game until Pokemon Red and Blue were released in Europe, but yeah, checks out. I was twelve when I first played it.

And I still play Smash to this day. Its still hilarious that group of friends, all thirty somethings can get all heated up when pummeling each other senseless

Peak nostalgia, and I wasnt even a Smash guy until in-between Brawl and 3DS

I remember renting it from Blockbuster during the N64 days, and thinking it was really cool, but not quite getting how it played. Then in High School someone installed Roms of it on the Library computers, so people would be playing it every morning before classes started.

From a gameplay perspective, it's been surpassed by every game which came after it, but there's always been something special and cozy about Smash 64. It's just one of those games that perfectly encapsulates its era.

Really hoping it makes the jump to NSO soon. It feels like one of the last big things really missing from it to make it feel "complete" (Atleast from a first party perspective).

The original Super Smash Bros. had such a weird atmosphere to it for no reason. All of the first three Smash games did to some degree, but I can at least tell what they were going for with Melee's sleek futuristic darkness and Brawl's gritty photorealism epic. They fit the image of the time periods they were made in a lot. What was this one's deal, even?

A lot of it was Hirokazu Ando's small but surprisingly experimental soundtrack. Why does the main menu theme sound like that? The Meta Crystal theme is one of his early stand-out compositions imo. Although I have to say, as someone who loves fake video game trumpets, this game's trumpets are horrible. I think it's really cool how Smash Remix got a bunch of people together to make versions of all sorts of classic tracks to put into the game and give it a Brawl-sized soundtrack, but man... the Smash 64 soundfont is just so bad.

I do find that the character designs in Melee and 64 are way more charming than the character designs in Brawl to Ultimate.

I’m 31.

I feel that as a 32 year old. I still have love for the series but I don't feel like playing some of the games much anymore these days. I might not even get the next one because Ultimate has Banjo & Kazooie.

This news made me feel a little old though so thanks OP 😅

1999 was such a fun year in gaming imo

I remember Smash specifically having a somewhat muted release compared to a lot of the other stuff that year, and especially for something that would become such a massive deal later on

I also remember deciding to buy the game outright after a while because it eventually became impossible to rent thanks to everyone else always renting it

The sound effects usage in this game is life defining imo. The hits feel like they really hit... ya know?

It's amazing to think this series is already 25 years old. Ultimate has the most fighters, but Brawl had an amazing story with Subspace Emmisary.
And how I would love to have a next gen Smash game, I am not competitive, and am very casual. That's why I really would love to see the series got a spin-off title, while still remaining the core of being a cross-over. I've spoken with a few other people from Dutch sites and they agree in the idea of Smash getting a more adventure type spin-off, while the main game can still be a Platfrom Fighter. I really was thinking of wanting a Subspace Emmisary sequel that's not part of the game, but the whole game itself.

A whole adventure game that plays like Smash, with a similar cast of Ultimate would make me more happy than getting another Mainline Smash to begin with. That way, with the release of a mainline and spin-off, both can get DLC fighters/characters to play with.

Nevertheless, in any kind of form for the next installment, I really want GTA San Andreas' CJ to be part of it.

Holy smokes that N64 opening. !!!SUPER SMASH BROTHERS!!! Hey if I begin some sort of movement to have Sakurai consider adding that dynamic yell to the next game I expect everyone to back it!

I hated fighting games at the time but I was obsessed with Pokemon. Seeing Pikachu in the game was all I needed and I never looked back. I remember sitting in my 8th grade microbiology class talking with a friend, my first thoughts in regards to a sequel, "what if they put Metaknight in the game?! Or Ridley?!" My friend was like "who?!" lol

Because I had been begging and pleading my case for Ridley for 17 years I enshrined Smash Bros on my wall near my gaming tv. Its basically my dream Smash (aside from the exclusion of a playable Dixie and barrel chucking DK but close enough).

ExdLD08.jpg

Legendary franchise. My siblings and I still return to the OG Smash Bros every once in a while.

It is amazing how this franchise went from an experiment that Nintendo wasn't 100% sold on to a celebration of gaming.

I remember it blew my mind just seeing Mario, Link and Pikachu fighting each other on the 64, and that I knew I needed to go out and get this game. And since, there's been no shortage of other mind-blowing moments with this series, in terms of what they've managed to accomplish, and who they managed to fold in.

Holy smokes that N64 opening. !!!SUPER SMASH BROTHERS!!! Hey if I begin some sort of movement to have Sakurai consider adding that dynamic yell to the next game I expect everyone to back it!

I hated fighting games at the time but I was obsessed with Pokemon. Seeing Pikachu in the game was all I needed and I never looked back. I remember sitting in my 8th grade microbiology class talking with a friend, my first thoughts in regards to a sequel, "what if they put Metaknight in the game?! Or Ridley?!" My friend was like "who?!" lol

Because I had been begging and pleading my case for Ridley for 17 years I enshrined Smash Bros on my wall near my gaming tv. Its basically my dream Smash (aside from the exclusion of a playable Dixie and barrel chucking DK but close enough).

ExdLD08.jpg
Might be the first amiibo display I've seen that makes the amiibo look a little more dignified than the cheap little plastic toys they are, haha. Very nice (y)

What's the plan for the remaining ones? Looks like there's room for Sephiroth next to the Clouds and I guess Sora with Hero.

One thing I really love about this first game in particular is just how much it feels like a home port of an arcade fighting game that doesn't exist

you might say all the games in the series have that vibe to them, but this one especially does

it's a shame they never did make an actual arcade version of Smash Bros. tho.

For a moment there, when they were doing the Triforce board stuff with Namco and SEGA, I thought we might get one

I remember my older cousins renting this game near release, playing a bit with them, and not believing that your character having low% was a good thing. When my older cousin said that to me my response was "I know you're lying".

A year and a half later it came with my N64 and it was the first game I played on it. It spawned a lifelong obsession that still continues to this day. Hats off to HAL.

I remember it blew my mind just seeing Mario, Link and Pikachu fighting each other on the 64, and that I knew I needed to go out and get this game. And since, there's been no shortage of other mind-blowing moments with this series, in terms of what they've managed to accomplish, and who they managed to fold in.

Might be the first amiibo display I've seen that makes the amiibo look a little more dignified than the cheap little plastic toys they are, haha. Very nice (y)

What's the plan for the remaining ones? Looks like there's room for Sephiroth next to the Clouds and I guess Sora with Hero.

I didn’t quite care for the Amiibo at first until I saw someone display them behind glass similar to this. Then I was like hey, that doesn’t look like an episode of Hoarders.

This is an old picture but yeah I planned space for the remaining Square characters. They are in there now waiting for Sora.

Back
Top Bottom