• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble |ST|

I've always been interested in the multiplayer since the announcement and this is still looking great.

A ton of previews dropped too, and they're all quite positive!
I'm glad the new characters they showed off last trailer are in fact playable, but I'm really hoping Jam and Jet show up again too. They've been shafted for far too long, their only playable appearance outside of party games was Banana Mania, where they reused their SMB3D models and AiAi's animations for some reason, even though they had full animation sets from Banana Splitz.

previews
You can see how seriously developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (the same developer behind Like a Dragon) is taking this installment when you pop open the settings menu. There, players can adjust the most minute of details, down to setting dead zones for their joysticks.
HELL YEAH!

HELL YEAH!
Man, so happy to see this love and passion for our little monke friends again after so long. So weird seeing a Switch-exclusive from RGG Studio and funnier still after Nagoshi's departure. Might explain why it took so damn long.

Now if we could get Yakuza on Switch in any form we'd be gravy. Fuck I'd take a port of Yakuza 1 & 2 HD and localized without a dub (as they got big names in Yakuza 1 like Mark Hamill!). Genki was behind that, they're not super busy these days, or O-TWO who did Shining Resonance Refrain and Valkyria Chronicles on Switch specifically.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but here’s an hour of gameplay footage!

Sega will have a public demo for the game... for a festival in Japan.
Honestly though I think it's very likely this demo will be released on the eShop at a later date. Sega has not been a stranger to downloadable demos, so I think the fact a demo build exists is a good sign, even if most people reading this can't play it.

4/6 Characters from the SEGA Pass have been confirmed to be Sonic & Friends! That leaves 2 to go - I'm guessing Yakuza will be one with the developer, hopefully the last is someone new, maybe Beat tho.

Doesn't look like any of them do a proper spin dash from what we see, Sonic might though. Missed opportunity if not!

Also, no Shadow in his year?!

4/6 Characters from the SEGA Pass have been confirmed to be Sonic & Friends! That leaves 2 to go - I'm guessing Yakuza will be one with the developer, hopefully the last is someone new, maybe Beat tho.

That’s disappointing. I’d be okay with 1 or maybe 2 Sonic characters, but for over 50% of the SEGA Pass to be Sonic? No thanks.

Obviously I want to see Yakuza characters in there, but I can think of a bunch of Sega/Atlus characters I’d like to see more than Sonic characters. Oh well. I’ll just get the basic version of the game and get the Yakuza characters separately if I can.

The new look of the characters has really grown on me since the reveal of this game. I wasn’t a big fan at first, but I’m starting to quite like it

Please let one be Amigo! It makes too much sense!! It is Super Monkey Ball, after all!

In a surprising throwback, one of the Sega Pass characters turns out to be Ecco the Dolphin in a semi-water filled ball.

Last edited:
Still hoping that Jam and Jet show up, I was so happy that my favourite design in the series was finally playable in the main game in Banana Mania, I really hope Jet didn't get shafted yet again.

I thought the Sonic characters were a cool add when I thought they were the first wave of 6 dlc character waves, them being 4/6 slots is pretty disappointing, even if I'll probably sucker buy it anyways.

Normally I’d absolutely love Sonic characters as DLC in any game like this…but unfortunately they use the classic versions in Super Monkey Ball, not the modern versions, so I’m far less interested. Still, I’m more interested in them than any other SEGA characters—besides Amigo, that is! 🪇

EDIT: Okay, I’d also be totally thrilled to see Phantom R from Rhythm Thief, but that’s never going to happen, unfortunately, lol.

Beat from Jet Set Radio (using his new design shown off last year) is the final character of the Sega Pass, with possibly a sneak peek at JSR3's soundtrack!

Also Axel from Crazy Taxi is the 5th character, kinda forgot to post him but he also looks great!

Beat from Jet Set Radio (using his new design shown off last year) is the final character of the Sega Pass, with possibly a sneak peek at JSR3's soundtrack!

Also Axel from Crazy Taxi is the 5th character, kinda forgot to post him but he also looks great!

RIP Amigo… I don’t understand why they didn’t choose him, being another Dreamcast era arcade SEGA monkey with a relatively recent Switch release that could use the marketing boost this DLC could provide—Amigo would literally be the perfect choice for a Super Monkey Ball DLC guest character! The dream is dead now, I guess (like just Samba de Amigo because too few people bothered to give the new game a chance)…

Checks out, given those are two games they definitely want to push right now for the upcoming revival releases.

Wish they had cut down on Sonic characters so we could get some deeper cuts, but oh well... we'll get 'em next time, NiGHTS...

RIP Amigo… I don’t understand why they didn’t choose him, being another Dreamcast era arcade SEGA monkey with a relatively recent Switch release that could use the marketing boost this DLC could provide—Amigo would literally be the perfect choice for a Super Monkey Ball DLC guest character! The dream is dead now, I guess (like just Samba de Amigo because too few people bothered to give the new game a chance)…
Checks out, given those are two games they definitely want to push right now for the upcoming revival releases.

Wish they had cut down on Sonic characters so we could get some deeper cuts, but oh well... we'll get 'em next time, NiGHTS...
I do think it's worth noting though, that in an interview yesterday when asked about crossover characters, they very briefly mentioned that post-launch support would go beyond the Sega Pass. We know they have more stages for battle mode planned, but it's interesting that this was about characters.
image.png

I do think it's worth noting though, that in an interview yesterday when asked about crossover characters, they very briefly mentioned that post-launch support would go beyond the Sega Pass. We know they have more stages for battle mode planned, but it's interesting that this was about characters.
image.png
That’s good to know…though you’d think that if they had any plans of adding Amigo as DLC, it would be in the SEGA Pass… Plus it’d make way more sense to add a Samba de Amigo character before Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio characters, considering the former already has a new game out now, while the latter two are still a ways off. So I don’t have high hopes that they’ll be adding Amigo later, unfortunately.

That’s good to know…though you’d think that if they had any plans of adding Amigo as DLC, it would be in the SEGA Pass… Plus it’d make way more sense to add a Samba de Amigo character before Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio characters, considering the former already has a new game out now, while the latter two are still a ways off. So I don’t have high hopes that they’ll be adding Amigo later, unfortunately.
There's also a bunch of customization items in the Sega Pass so I could see Amigo's clothes being a costume for all the monkeys

Quoted by: Tye
I wonder if this is a clue. Which of the recently announced Sega revivals will be released first? We got Beat and Axel here sooooo...

THEY BURIED THE LEAD

SHADOW SHINOBI KNIGHTS and more!

Also, animations look amazing for the new characters.

Seeing a NiGHTS costume among all of the others, who have all been confirmed to be getting new entries or are part of long-running series... dare I hope...?

In all seriousness, it looks great, glad to see there was a bit more to this.

Last edited:
smh I just realized it's 15 pieces not 15 outfits

dang that really seemed like an obvious one...
It's so obvious, I almost feel like there's gotta be more DLC after the Sega Pass. There are gonna be outfits you get from playing the multiplayer with a (free) battle pass, as well as Battle Mode stage updates.

Is there any word on whether there’s in-game speedrunning/leaderboards in this game? I had tons of fun with that in BBHD and BM…

Is there any word on whether there’s in-game speedrunning/leaderboards in this game? I had tons of fun with that in BBHD and BM…
I dunno about leaderboards, but when you beat a stage it tells you your splits over your best time for that stage. I'd imagine leaderboards probably aren't gone though.

It's so obvious, I almost feel like there's gotta be more DLC after the Sega Pass. There are gonna be outfits you get from playing the multiplayer with a (free) battle pass, as well as Battle Mode stage updates.
omg that is awesome news!!! a MB game could benefit big time from a Tetris 99 style approach to keep players returning

Yeah I might actually get the character pack - though idk if they can be used online or not. I'd assume so cause the online looks fun.
it would be an incredible shot in the foot to not let players advertise them to each other so I'm assuming you will

The game has leaked! There's photos of the ending floating around because people got their copies early, so be warned if you don't want to get spoiled on the first Monkey Ball story mode since 2006!

If I want to play this as early as possible with a digital copy, what would be the best way to go about it? Do I create a Japanese Nintendo account for my Switch? Will it even accept my Canadian credit card?

Rrrrgggghhh I want to play monkey ball NOW!!!1

My guy @switchum is gonna put in another 500 hours of Monkey Ball this year.
I am mentally preparing myself for a summer of Monkey Ball. These world records aren’t going to set themselves

Also, would people in the thread be open to try 16-player racing sometime?

belief is that that reviews go live tomorrow. I'd love to get the game but life is busy so I'll probably wait until the holiday sales later this year.

I'm very curious to look at the reviews.

Back
Top Bottom