• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Super Mario RPG Now Considered A Mario Sub-Series On The Super Mario JP Portal

I mean.. having two games now kinda classify it as a "series", just barely, but it does.

I wouldn't read too much into this...

Kind of strange tbh, I have doubts the web team would have that deep an insight into possible sequels though

I was gonna say this might just be Switch relevant sub-series' but then I guess Mario & Luigi is on there lol

wasent paper mario 64 in japan originally called mario rpg 2? I wonder how all that works out
It was called Mario Story in Japan in the final release. Super Mario RPG 2 was a title used during development. You could see it on early build footage of the game.

Kind of strange tbh, I have doubts the web team would have that deep an insight into possible sequels though

I was gonna say this might just be Switch relevant sub-series' but then I guess Mario & Luigi is on there lol
I imagine that M&L entered there when it was still a live series in 3DS.

"Does this increase the likelihood of a sequel being considered?"

Absolutely not. But would a sequel being considered increase the likelihood of a web page being set up like this? Sure.

I don't think this means much beyond "Nintendo is marketing this Mario game and putting it on the portal." Every spinoff that stars Mario released from 2017 onward has a section on this portal, and if the Internet Archive stored the website accurately, then it shows that games in a series are added to the portal after a relevant release. For example, the 2020 archive did not include any Mario Strikers games, nor did it include Super Mario RPG. To be realistic, SMRPG didn't fit any category, so it got its own so they could put the new game on the portal.

Doesn't rule out a sequel, but it doesn't mean that this is a hint for one, either.

Yeah, all of those are series with still active releases. By the same logic that they added SMRPG, Mario Baseball should had been there due of having two titles... So no surprise of its absence (or M&L's 😥 )

At the very least, much like StarFox for more general Nintendo portals...as long as it's being acknowledged, there is always a chance.

This has been going on ever since the portal launched in early Switch era. Every time a new game from a sub-series was released, that sub-series got its own section. That includes Mario & Luigi (in fact, for a while, M&L was one of the very few series included, thanks to Bowser's Inside Story remake launching some months after the portal), even though the writing was already on the wall for AlphaDream.

So I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm pretty sure they would have included Mario's Picross too, if they had launched a new Mario's Picross game.

As it should, hopefully it's a sub series with a bright future.

Last edited:
Dr. Mario, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics have never been added despite having new entries come out while this page has been up and running, and despite having quite a lot of games amongst them too

So it's not actually a set rule that all Mario-starring games have their series history listed after a current release

But of course they weren't gonna snub SMRPG; they love SMRPG

it's a classic

Dr. Mario, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics have never been added despite having new entries come out while this page has been up and running, and despite having quite a lot of games amongst them too

So it's not actually a set rule that all Mario-starring games have their series history listed after a current release

But of course they weren't gonna snub SMRPG; they love SMRPG

it's a classic
In Mario and Sonic's case, that's probably because it's recognized as a Sega IP.

OLLhvzQ.gif
OLLhvzQ.gif
OLLhvzQ.gif

I sincerely hope there will be a future follow up. Would be great if Mario RPG came back in a big way if Paper Mario is more content blazing its own trails.

Does the Super Mario RPG brand have a future?
Yes.

Does Nintendo considering it a Sub-Series mean anything for the future of the series?
No.

That said, Nintendo will be motivated more by sales numbers than by anything else. If the "One type of Mario game per console" thing Nintendo said to Ubisoft is true and they take it literally, then maybe Nintendo is waiting to compare SMRPG and Paper Mario TTYD to see what type of turn-based RPG Mario they can decide on: SMRPG 2 or a spiritual successor to TTYD.

You know it lists Mario and Luigi RPG there too (Dead T_T). I wouldn't read into this. It means it is its own series but it doesn't mean they will make new games in it.

Here's hoping they will add Mario vs. Donkey Kong in the near future! I thought it was an underappreciated series and I would like Nintendo to acknowledge Mario's Donkey Kong origins more.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom