• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Stellar blade estimate 1M in software sales and 15.8M in royalty.

Idk why people think it's a big deal that this is selling similarly to a $20 cheaper Mario game, but I guess Fami gonna Fami.

That's just how games like this often sell, and it seems like they're happy about it.

I thought the game was good despite all the toxicity about it from basically every side of the discussion online, so good for them I guess. And yeah god fucking speed when/if this gets a PC port.

I was definitely interested in the game in the beginning, but lost interest when I played demo and found the combat to be very souls like.

I assumed it would be extremely fast pace like Bayonetta/DMC.

The difference being that Stellar Blade cost more to make, than Bayonetta.

Since it's estimated that the budget is around 30-50M.
This doesn't include the marketing push that Sony tried to do.

Like... 1M is surprisingly low, since i remember the game being hyped up, but it's another tale of average consumers not being interested.
The marketing is crazy in japan, almost every PS game store have their big ad, even at the entrance. IMO it maybe even more than FF7RB.

Considering the cost, this game is most likely at loss, either for Shift-Up or Sony, or both of them.

Congrats to Sony’s devs humiliating themselves to promote this piece of shit from this terrible artist just so it can be outsold by Mario vs. DK.

It’s still so funny that Sony’s devs went to the mat talking about how amazing of an artist the hentai guy who photoshops AI art is.

“He may be a misogynist, but at least he can’t draw and has zero creativity.”
Huh? It's an 8.1 and 9.2 on metacritic. How's this bad? And why do some of you hate Sony with a passion?

1. Get inspired by NieR:Automata
2. Remove everything interesting and intriguing about characters, setting, themes, philosophical undertones and narrative poignancy until all there is left is flashy combat and a lewd protagonist
3. Receive truckloads of Sony marketing cash
4. Market the game
5. Become a rallying cry for the obnoxious shills over at r/KotakuInAction
6. ???
7. Profit (kinda?)

"All that for a drop of blood..."

Always wondered why Sony was pushing so hard for this when the optics surrounding the game were toxic as hell. The off-putting sexualization of the main character championed by the worst chuds on the internet, the reports of the misogynistic work culture at ShiftUp and to a lesser extent use of AI-art for their super horny mobile game etc. Just a weird move.

Please refrain from console warring rhetoric. - Dardan Sandiego, MissingNo., IsisStormDragon
1. Get inspired by NieR:Automata
2. Remove everything interesting and intriguing about characters, setting, themes, philosophical undertones and narrative poignancy until all there is left is flashy combat and a lewd protagonist
3. Receive truckloads of Sony marketing cash
4. Market the game
5. Become a rallying cry for the obnoxious shills over at r/KotakuInAction
6. ???
7. Profit (kinda?)
Sony players sadly don’t buy games.
They buy the same slop every year.
Just look at their top 10 best selling games, it’s always the same shit.

And the people who Stellar Blade marketed to, didn’t even buy the game.

"All that for a drop of blood..."

Always wondered why Sony was pushing so hard for this when the optics surrounding the game were toxic as hell. The off-putting sexualization of the main character championed by the worst chuds on the internet, the reports of the misogynistic work culture at ShiftUp and to a lesser extent use of AI-art for their super horny mobile game etc. Just a weird move.

There’s a couple of reason why.

1. The game released when their only competition was princess peach.
  2. Probably one of Sony cheaper funded games, despite the budget being kinda high
  3. We’re thinking it’ll have the same impact as Nier and Bayonetta, since it had a hot protagonist.
  4. Having another exclusive in their catalog, despite it likely arriving on PC and Switch 2 to regain the lost profit.

Maybe I’m completely out of touch, but considering the size of the PS5 install base and the amount of games releasing on PS5, isn’t that shockingly mediocre even for a new IP?
I mean size of the install base doesn’t always correlate into a higher percentage of sales. I think it fine for what it is given what we see of PS customer buying habits; combine that with Sony funding + potential releases down the line.

Maybe I’m completely out of touch, but considering the size of the PS5 install base and the amount of games releasing on PS5, isn’t that shockingly mediocre even for a new IP?
A remake of a GBA game as outsold Stellar Blade and it's a game that barely got any marketing and was only mentioned on twitter and on the September Direct.

Meanwhile Stellar Blade had a marketing push and had a lot of hyped talked about it and released at a time with no competition, it was the only big game for the end of April and May, since it was technically only competing against Blue Ocean and maybe Paper Mario.

‘Sex sells’ is fine, but I think there’s reasonable criticism to be made in terms of how so many of these character designs relentlessly objectifying the same demographic are aimed at the same demographic of customer base. If there were sexy AAA games for every demographic, I’d agree with your point.
I mean it could be more women are more likely to get their smut content through other forms of media than videogames, compared to men- mediums like books, audio stories, movies, reality shows etc. and there are games appeal to women in the AAA space: Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and BG3.
I think the main audience for character action games like this are mainly a certain type of person, so devs develop for that audience, which is fine.

I get why if you're a straight women being into action games it could be annoying with all these games openly pandering to other people. But i don't think catering to an audience is inherently "bad". It's not the responsibility of game devs (or artists on general) to cater to every demographic in a game (in most cases)

Last edited:
I mean it could be more women are more likely to get their smut content through other forms of media than videogames, compared to men- mediums like books, audio stories, movies, reality shows etc. and there are games appeal to women in the AAA space: Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and BG3.
I think the main audience for character action games like this are mainly a certain type of person, so devs develop for that audience, which is fine.

I get why if you're a straight women being into action games it could be annoying with all these games openly pandering to other people. But i don't think catering to an audience is inherently "bad". It's not the responsibility of game devs (or artists on general) to cater to every demographic in a game (in most cases)
That’s the thing. It’s not the responsibility of any one studio to cater to all possible demographics in terms of diversity/sex appeal/ representation etc in any one game with a single main character. That’s reasonable. But when the majority somehow end up laser-focused on objectifying the same demographic every time to sell it to another, the issue is a woefully unbalanced industry-wide one. All the RPGs you mention are designed to appeal to everyone, including straight men again, with a range of characters, they aren’t specifically designed to appeal primarily to women or LGBTQ+ audiences. It just seems that way when looking at an impressively diverse range of characters in a video game cast when the status quo is games aimed squarely at men, and so everyone looking for something more inclusive in the ‘AAA rpg’ or whatever space ends up rallying around those rpgs. It’s great that BG3 is horny and fun and diverse and inclusive for everyone. But that’s not a game designed to appeal to anyone but straight men. It just seems that way to such people who’ve only ever had sexy rpg casts aimed squarely and almost entirely at them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom