• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Sports Story |ST| Arnold Palmer's Xtreme Pickleball

I just heard v1.0.3 is out. Maybe I'll continue the game again.

I was only at the beach in the beginning though.

I took issue with your comments suggesting they hadn't playtested the game themselves and threw the patch out as though they were treating the public as QA.

I'm not going to make excuses for the state the game is in and I don't blame anyone that looked forward to it for being disappointed with its state. At the same time, game dev is hard, and indie game development has its own set of challenges. I don't think "they didn't test their game" is a fair or accurate criticism, snide comment or not.

Many games go through rigorous QA where bugs are documented and are summarily ignored because the developer or publisher doesn't believe they're important enough to stop shipment, and that decision is never QA's fault. We don't know what this game's bug log looks like, but someone did test this, and if they reported even half the bugs that the game shipped with, well, someone other than the tester said "good enough". That's all.

I wasn't even really suggesting that they were not playtesting this game. I'm sure it was tested at least somewhat. What I meant with my comment was that it was in so sorry state that it is as bad as it was not tested at all. Maybe a slight exaggeration. It was not meant to be taken litetally. I'm sure there was a decicion to release it in this state. And I'm not sure that's much better.

Thats said I don't understand why anyone would take issue with my comment either way. Look at the game! My comment is not really overreaction to anything. They released a game and practically cheated 15 euros or dollars from us. You know when you buy a product it should work. I know I was a little stupid to buy it blind. I don't usually do that. But this game is not just bad. Then this would be completely on me. But it doesn't work. You can sell a bad game, but you can't sell a broken one.

I'm not even that much against the game as you seem to think. I have commented here before that I liked what I played so far but had to stop because of the bugs. And I really hope they get their act together and patch it.

Edit: And with that I think I have said all I have to say. So lets just hope they patch this game and move on and stop this argument.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is now possible to find the Lumberjack and play tennis against him?

I have actually moved on to other games, but I am curious.

One day I hope we'll get t hear the behind-the-scenes stuff about that happened with this game. Matt McMuscles should get to it.

I haven't played enough to judge, but I can see the other sports being more superficial than golf. That's one complain I have seen. I don't really play these games as a sports games so it doesn't bother me much although golf was good on it's own in the first one.

Apart from the bugs how are people feeling about the game? I'm reading quite a bit online that it's also just not that good in general and worse than Golf Story?
All the talk online has turned me off the game completely, and it's not just because of the bugs and glitches. It sounds like it just isn't any fun, full of fetch quests instead of playing actual sports. It just sounds boring, and I'm not sure I'll ever play it at this point. I consider my launch day purchase a way to support the devs, but that's all I guess.

New patch is live. That first patch note item though 🤨 - https://sidebargames.com/PatchNotes_SS_04.html

Main

Blocked access to the secret dev room.

Progress

If the squid boss disappears, he will return to the platform after reloading the game.

Wildlands birdie medals task will tick off correctly if medals are collected over multiple rounds.

Fixed some trades that required some amount of money to work.

Misc

Various fixes for places/events where the player could become stuck.

Clubs screens will show beyond 5 clubs correctly.

Fixed an issue that can lock the player sometimes after throwing golf balls.

30% coupon working correctly now.

Catching fish with the sticky hand won't cause issues anymore.

Fixed the swing bar when using the PureStrike Green woods.

Maybe Sidebar can rescue the game. For example Baldo was another indie that was a disaster on release, but it has been patched significantly, not only correcting bugs, but also improving the core gameplay. Though I'm not sure Sidebar would go that far.

Hmmmmmm that's not a good look.

Potentially this could mean goodbye goodwill from Golf Story with this entire rollout AND removing the dev room.

It's completely understandable that they removed access to it, whether it was in there for a joke or not is up in the air, but it doesn't matter, because the internet already decided they're villains because of that room, regardless of what the truth of the games development is (I'm not pretending to know the answer to that, or saying that I think it's a good answer).

Last edited:
Jesus Christ they really not only said let’s draw more attention to this, but instead of just removing it went insane and tried to rewrite history. Though it just comes off as completely sarcastic now lol, perhaps the devs doing “as told” by management

Here’s the OG tweet since the quote adds nothing of substance

Jesus Christ they really not only said let’s draw more attention to this, but instead of just removing it went insane and tried to rewrite history

Shame on them.

Here’s the OG tweet since the quote adds nothing further

This is exactly what I meant by they had no choice but to remove it.

Is this an North American missing out on British style humour thing? The team are Australian and that's some incredibly obvious sarcasm which I found immediately hilarious.

Is this an North American missing out on British style humour thing? The team are Australian and that's some incredibly obvious sarcasm which I found immediately hilarious.
Oh yeah I edited my message after seeing the actual changes. Liam’s tweet didn’t note the obvious sarcasm. I should have gone right to the source before saying anything lol.

Liam is British and so he should recognise sarcasm, but he doesn't and so doesn't anyone else, even other British people.

If the sarcasm was that obvious, I would be seeing loads more people realising it's a joke.
So I think you might be noticing sarcasm where it isn't.

Not quite related to Sports Story, but I was playing Golf Story just now and i noticed my Switch's screen started glitching a bit, like grey lines appearing for a fraction of a second. I almost had a heart attack thinking my Switch was dying, but Google tells me it's a common issues with the game. Gee.

Anyway, contrary to most I'm finding Golf Story extremely boring. The writing is great, but that's all it has going for it, the structure of the game is go here, shoot 3 holes, go there, shoot 7 holes, go back there, talk to x person, shoot 4 holes. I think golfing games aren't for me, I think I might drop the game. If the impressions on Sports Store are that it's much worse, I'm keeping away from it.

Yeah, I liked Golf Story, but hadn't picked this game up yet since I had too many other games I wanted to play at the time it released. But now, seeing some of the stuff I've seen about this game is starting to make me have second thoughts about ever buying it. Eesh.

If it was supposed to humorous then this wouldn't be the only place saying its a joke.
Nowhere else is.
I'm sorry but imo that clip is one of the most obvious attempts at humour I've ever seen in a video game lol. I mean, the very over the top positive comments completely opposite to what was there before, even the way the "I promise" line is in tiny text right at the end, how more obvious can you get? People found it and noticed the first time, they absolutely knew people would find it and notice it again otherwise why change the dialogue? I say this as an Australian very familiar with this type of tongue in cheek humour. Perhaps it doesn't translate overseas?

Whether that humour lands for you, particularly given the state of the game, is obviously going to vary. I definitely wasn't impressed by the many bugs, softlocks, performance issues and unfocused, fetch-quest heavy game design. And how the actual conditions were while working on the game, I have no idea. And while I haven't been following discussion of this game much, the one other place I have seen it discussed also has people pointing out that it is humour.

I'm sorry but imo that clip is one of the most obvious attempts at humour I've ever seen in a video game lol. I mean, the very over the top positive comments completely opposite to what was there before, even the way the "I promise" line is in tiny text right at the end, how more obvious can you get? People found it and noticed the first time, they absolutely knew people would find it and notice it again otherwise why change the dialogue? I say this as an Australian very familiar with this type of tongue in cheek humour. Perhaps it doesn't translate overseas?

Whether that humour lands for you, particularly given the state of the game, is obviously going to vary. I definitely wasn't impressed by the poor state of the game. And how the actual conditions were while working on the game, I have no idea. And while I haven't been following discussion of this game much, the one other place I have seen it discussed also has people pointing out that it is humour.
I have seen many British people think its not a joke and we are known for our sarcasm, so if they don't think it's a joke. Then I am pretty sure that isn't a joke.

I have seen many British people think its not a joke and we are known for our sarcasm, so if they don't think it's a joke. Then I am pretty sure that isn't a joke.
Lol ok, just ignore everything in my post then. I'm sure the "I promise" line in tiny text right at the end was 100% supposed to be taken absolutely completely seriously.

/s
in case you couldn't tell

I felt it coming since it was announced to be "sports story", but this game is so underwhelming compared to golf story. Unfocused AF on top of being literally unfinished. I don't know what happened, but I'm not even sure that I want to finish it.

New update. It should be obvious now thay they are joking with the dev room:

-Secret Dev Room 80% Removed.
-Secret Dev Room secret access patched.
-Restored regular access to the secret dev room.

Of course there's other patches as well:

-Fixed a fishing bug that made the player float into the air.
-Updated context for Wildlands trash challenge.
-Some multiplayer golfing issues have been addressed
-Fixed a few places the player could become stuck while exploring
-Save file load muddling issue fixed.
-Perfect golf hits are rewarded with a distinctive sound.
-Golf power shot hits a bit further.
-Rustling Vale chipping challenges will stick around after leaving the area.

Back
Top Bottom