• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation Sony to Take Action as PS5, PS4 Owners Play Less Than Anticipated

Like others have said: normal people aren't forced to stay home, so no shit you'll see your playtime and engagement metrics fall.
Unlike what many on forums and social media would have you believe, most people would rather go outside when given the chance.

Unlike what many on forums and social media would have you believe, most people would rather go outside when given the chance.
throw-up-dry-heave.gif

What the fuck is wrong with people? smh

COVID caused an unprecedented boom in people playing games across the board. Speaking purely anecdotally I knew of loads of friends who got back into gaming during those times so they, you know, had something to do. I do think it's screwed up comparisons to past performances and stats. Once people were able to leave their homes and head outside and play, engagement numbers were naturally going to drop.

That being said, I do wonder if gaming is approaching the same kind of event horizon that we're seeing from streaming services. With so much choice of high end expensive shows to binge watch, people are having to be much choosier with what they consume. For gaming, gone are the days where someone would pick up a title, play it for a month, then move onto the next. With countless games as a service now rubbing shoulders with the time intensive JRPGs and open world games for our attention, gamers are having to be choosier, which therefore leads to them playing fewer games overall.

Oddly there is such a thing as giving people too much choice. The more things competing for a consumer's attention, the less likely they are to make a decision. The old choice paralysis situation.

(Thread hop) "User engagement"

I really hope that doesn't mean stuffing games full of repetitive content and GaaS systems.

maybe should have stuck that "for me" in your original post then rather than making a sweeping declaration
Clearly it's for me, because I wrote it. What a weird post. Are you not perceptive enough to understand that when someone posts a critique, it's their opinion? Jesus.

I mean, I threw an IMO into the original post for all the smooth brains out there who don't understand that, but I guess you preferred not to read and comprehend so that you could make this snarky post, huh?

Funny that no one posts like this when people criticize Xbox or Playstation, though. I made this same critique of Sony's 2022, and no one rushed to post SAY IMO NEXT TIME. The Switch is a game machine, not your personal identity. Don't get so hurt when people critique it.

For me its simple.

• Not enough games I'm interested in
  • I have a PS4 still
  • A vast majority of titles are cross-gen
  • I play on Switch more
  • Too many remakes, remastered, and lack of original titles
  • $500 is steep in today's world
  • I have yet to be truly wowed by a next generation experience because now most companies focus graphics > gameplay

Clearly it's for me, because I wrote it. What a weird post. Are you not perceptive enough to understand that when someone posts a critique, it's their opinion? Jesus.

I mean, I threw an IMO into the original post for all the smooth brains out there who don't understand that, but I guess you preferred not to read and comprehend so that you could make this snarky post, huh?

Funny that no one posts like this when people criticize Xbox or Playstation, though. I made this same critique of Sony's 2022, and no one rushed to post SAY IMO NEXT TIME. The Switch is a game machine, not your personal identity. Don't get so hurt when people critique it.
the switch is my personality actually. my whole world revolves around it.

I keep thinking about this. What does it even mean!? Like take action? Sounds like a threat I'm super confused.

Back
Top Bottom