• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Sony Q4 FY3/2024 Financial Results (Jan - Mar 2024) | PS5 HW 4.5m, LTD 59.3m. Forecast 18.0m this fiscal year

Luminoth9090

Moblin
Banned

Credit: MegaXZero from InstallBase

Sony Group Portal - FY2023 Q2 Earnings Announcement

www.sony.com
www.sony.com
Cf0xM05.jpeg

frURhMu.jpeg

Q4 sales

Hardware - 4.5M
(-28.6% YoY)
Software - 72.6M (+6.8% YoY)

Q1-Q4 Cumulative sales

Hardware - 20.8M
(+8.9% YoY)
Software - 286.4M (+8.4% YoY)

Forecast for FY24 (April 2024 - March 2025)

Hardware - 18.0M

It is kind of insane how consistently close PS4 and PS5 sales trajectories have been respectively. PS4 was only 800 million ahead at this point in its life.

Edit: I’m leaving that typo

Last edited:
Hardware shipments are down 1.8 million year over year for the quarter, however for the entire fiscal year hardware shipments are 1.8 million up.

PS5 Versus PS4

For the 4th quarter of the 3rd full fiscal year (yellow) the 4.5 million the PS5 shipped is 1.6 million up on PS4's 2.9 million and after 14 quarters the PS5 totals 59.3 million compared to 60.2 million for the PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 0.9 million behind PS4.

NDXxVqQ.png

XoIXZ5c.png

PS5 versus current competitors

After 14 quarters the PS5 totals 59.3 million compared to 29.5 million (est) for XBS and 61.44 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 29.8 million (est) ahead of the XBS and 2.14 million behind the NSW.

mTH08uo.png

8x0AJ48.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.

Last edited:
Playstation 5's Shipments of 20.9 million in FY3 are very high, Only Switch, PS2 and DS were higher and they were sold at a much cheaper price.

uJf65DR.png

fjlfXHt.png

bbebn20.png

Note: PSV, XBO and XBS shipments are my estimates based on limited data.

Last edited:
only 5 million above what Nintendo expects Switch sales this year is very suprising

They couldn't even get to 21m the previous year with it no longer being beholden to production troubles and by their own admission they haven't got any tentpole releases coming this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the target again, honestly

Happy for Sony success and I imagine there is a very big “loyal” fanbase of people who chooses to play with a PS system (talking about people between 25-35 that grew up with their PS1/2 since childhood days).

As PS6 will enter the market 1 year later than PS5 was released, PS5 should have better legs so 130 or even 140 LTD should be very possible.

Yet another good quarter/year for SIE.

What I'm mostly "concerned" about is whether the game plan for PlayStation is to continue this hardware price rise. I don't know if they intend on testing the waters with the PS5 Pro but with the HD Twins seemingly shrinking for a second gen in a row one has to asks themselves whether this is a desirable way forward. Especially now that hardware sales seem to be just a touch rickety (of course, they're perfectly OK for PS, but still, forecasting a light decline from PS4 when your major competitor is having such a tough time on that front?). It's hard to think that price is not being a major hurdle for the market, when F2P cross-platform is pretty much bigger than ever the last thing you wanna do is making the barrier of entry any higher.

I wonder if they should have just scrapped the Pro and done something just a bit better than it for holiday 2028 with the PS6, trying to keep the price at the very least in line, if not ideally below, the PS5. Otherwise this just feels like sucking blood out of a stone.

Last edited:
They've established a solid audience for PlayStation that turns out each generation to buy the console. Microsoft would sell their own grandmothers to have that type of brand loyalty.

The main issue is whether software is selling enough to cover the increased development costs. Rather than copy Nintendo and release multiple smaller titles in-between the big titles, Sony seem to be going all in on having heavy hitters. I don't think that's sustainable for them long term: games like TLoU2 and Spiderman 2 are going to t-shirt longer and longer to develop, and require more money. If they don't have smaller scale titles as well, then that means more and bigger gaps between their tentpole releases. I can see that presenting problems down the road

mTH08uo.png

8x0AJ48.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.

The most shocking part for me it's not even Sony related. The best Xbox YEAR wouldn't even qualify for a top 3 Switch QUARTER. That's... that's quite something.

Looks like Switch may end up selling more in year 8 than Sony does in year 5…

That’s especially dire for the PlayStation 5, who’s only silver lining in a world of poor software sales and even worse profit margins is to be able to point to a big number for hardware units moved.

only 5 million above what Nintendo expects Switch sales this year is very suprising
It's a perfectly, perfectly respectable number by PS standards. Need I remind you that Switch is on track to becoming the best selling console of all time? The real challenge will be actually hitting that amount of units. A lot of it likely hinges on third parties bringing the heavy hitters for this FY.

I know playstation is doing "well" but they aren't doing well enough considering how much Xbox is dropping. If there is anything this generation is showing it is that PC Gaming is eating Sony's lunch and it is about to get much much worse for them.

Xbox is shrinking massively and Sony isn't growing. This is a problem for Sony, not the industry.

Kind of looks like PS5 will slightly underrun the PS4 on a year-by-year basis, but I assume that it will have a longer life due to the current industry trends. I think somewhere in the 115-130 million range (probably in the mid/upper side of that) is what I'm expecting, but a lot can change in the back half of a console's life.

Pretty good numbers, just missed their forecast. Would it be possible for Sony to slash the price a bit this FY or is that not gonna happen? Because if a Pro is coming, Sony could rack up sales slashing the price of the OG PS5 maybe?

Pretty good numbers, just missed their forecast. Would it be possible for Sony to slash the price a bit this FY or is that not gonna happen? Because if a Pro is coming, Sony could rack up sales slashing the price of the OG PS5 maybe?

If you look at the FY2024 forecast they have: "Decrease in hardware losses due to lower unit sales"

Both HD machines this generation have increased their prices(in certain regions) rather than reduce the price compared to launch.
They would be hemorrhaging money if they went with a permanent price reduction.
I am not knowledgeable in supply chain and market realities to know why this is the case, but it's seemingly like this.

It's at a really inopportune moment considering how people have less money to spend.

Sony doesn't really have room to lower the price of the console. Far more likely we will see a more generous game bundle or other types of incentives.

Switch reaching it's target of 13.5 million is fantastical whimsy on the level of Sony's initial 25 million forecast for this year

Unless you know what Nintendo's lineup is, in which case, spill the beans, you can't possibly know that.

Nintendo have hit their targets every year and we've got no reason to think this one will be any different.

Unless you know what Nintendo's lineup is, in which case, spill the beans, you can't possibly know that.

Nintendo have hit their targets every year and we've got no reason to think this one will be any different.
They missed it on FY19

Peak year for PS5 and they missed their targets, even the revised one.

Still tracking behind PS4 and with a collapsing XBOX and ballooning budgets this gen has been brutal. In the quest for "fidelity" I think Nintendo is well positioned and Xbox may yet benefit through the series S if Switch 2 can pull games and devs around it's orbit that isn't reliant on the Sony business model which is clearly unsustainable

Last edited:
Xbox may yet benefit through the series S if Switch 2 can pull games and devs around it's orbit that isn't reliant on the Sony business model which is clearly unsustainable
That doesn’t make much sense. Switch didn’t help Xbox One, either.

I know playstation is doing "well" but they aren't doing well enough considering how much Xbox is dropping. If there is anything this generation is showing it is that PC Gaming is eating Sony's lunch and it is about to get much much worse for them.

Xbox is shrinking massively and Sony isn't growing. This is a problem for Sony, not the industry.
There's definitely some truth to this but it's also arguably painting an incomplete picture.

If we go by Mat's tweet on PS5 performance in the US over PS3 and PS4 it seems quite plausible that they are eating into Xbox's market-share, the thing is it's only happening in a sizable way in the US.

It's not impossible that they might be declining/stagnating in the rest of the world. Take the European market for instance, which seems to not be taking the price of the console well enough. Case in point if you look at the weekly Spanish charts you'll see that when the console is discounted it sells really well, when it's full price on the other hand it can (and often does) trail behind Switch. It won't come as as a surprise then that Dring reports the console falling behind PS4.

Too bad the price situation cannot be easily solved for SIE.

It's eating market share in US.

Asia outside Japan is where the markets are price sensetive and Europe to a certain extent where PS5 can't capitalise due to high price

4.5 mil in q4 is still impressive.

Looks like Switch may end up selling more in year 8 than Sony does in year 5…

That’s especially dire for the PlayStation 5, who’s only silver lining in a world of poor software sales and even worse profit margins is to be able to point to a big number for hardware units moved.
Poor software sales wut ?

Also yeah profits margins maybe a concern but you also to look at profit in number. They had a operating profit this quarter.

There accounting method are separate compared to Nintendo

Poor software sales wut ?

Also yeah profits margins maybe a concern but you also to look at profit in number. They had a operating profit this quarter.

There accounting method are separate compared to Nintendo
Well there is another thread on the front page about how Square Enix is having to drastically change their business model due to poor sales with Ps5 exclusives. And because of that poor profit margin, good sales for a company like Nintendo may be catastrophically bad for a Ps5 game. Remember the numbers form the Insomniac leak, it paints a grim picture.

I think we can confirm that PS5 hardware is still being sold at a loss, because they have higher hardware and software sales than Nintendo previous fiscal year, but half the profits. Meaning Sony as of now only earns money from software sales and are still selling the hardware itself at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom