• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony investing $2.1B in Gaming R&D, Focusing on Live Service

Sony went from "you’ll have to get a second job to buy our console" to "you’ll have to quit your job to play our games"

Yeah this shit is dire. Aside from Apex Legends, Genshin Impact, and I think Valorant, there hasn't really been many big live service games coming out that actually feel "earned". If Sony wants to break into this, they need to be targeting a niche no one else is providing, just like what Genshin did. But even with that, I expect almost all of these ventures to just flatline quickly after the initial hype.

It's a damn shame.

Some of these are surely gonna be FPSs but I think it'll be key to play around with different genres for something like this.

We're almost certainly getting a new Twisted Metal at some point with the show sort of rebirthing the IP so I wonder if that is gonna have a GaaS model. I think Rocket League has been the only one to get huge in that category.
They dug up Marathon from the 1990's Macintosh scene and are giving it the GAAS treatment.

I'm sure it'll have as much to do with the original trilogy as Beyond Good and Evil 2 does to Beyond Good and Evil. /s

Back
Top Bottom