• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion So what's the current big new kid/ya sprawling book series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Bob-omb
Younger Families help me out here. We had Harry Potter. Rick Riordan started his journey into Demi gods with Percy Jackson. We had stuff like Twilight, The Hunger Games, and the Mortal Instruments. We got Artemis Fowl, Eragon, and Spiderwreck.

What's the new new stuff that is all the hype and rage these days though? What writer is the next Cassandra Clare or Rick Riordan? I'm an old man now so young Fami needs to clue me in and keep me current.

Harry Potter is still thriving, and funnily enough the Twilight series sees it’s periodic booms of interest as well. There will be more big book series eventually, but I don’t think we are at that cycle point yet. Most of the books you mentioned in the OP are still very popular.

I know Colleen Hoover has seen a lot of popularity lately, especially with her books “It Ends With Us” and “November 9”. John Green is still pretty popular, as well. I think he was the bridge between your generation and the current generation, with “The Fault in Our Stars” being the defining transitional moment.

I think cinema had a big impact on the sudden halt of interest in YA titles. The onslaught of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner having what felt like annual instalments, and almost just blending into each other towards the end, really burned people out. Being into stuff like that isn’t cool or trendy anymore, unless it’s a classic like HP. I think nowadays it’s just one-off books like “It Ends With Us” and “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” that occasionally trend.

I can confirm that HP still seems to be pretty popular outside of the online progressive circles unfortunately. As much as the right likes to complain about "cancel culture," Rowling's TERFness hasn't really become something most people care or know about.

People are of course welcome to still enjoy Harry Potter, but reducing JK Rowling's highly problematic transphobic rhetoric to "not agreeing with her views" is a little glib and dismissive. This has in turn caused a thread derail. - Moderation
I can confirm that HP still seems to be pretty popular outside of the online progressive circles unfortunately. As much as the right likes to complain about "cancel culture," Rowling's TERFness hasn't really become something most people care or know about.
There is a difference between person and creation. While I don’t agree with her views, I still love the world she created.

There is a difference between person and creation. While I don’t agree with her views, I still love the world she created.

Ehhh…one must still consider the tainted perspective of the author in how and what they write because it can influence readers (especially youngsters), but I can’t remember any glaring horribleness in the books. So HP is still okay, but fuck JKR now and forever, obviously.

I mean a lot of what I posted is still popular. I think like Percy Jackson just hit like week 600 on the NYT best sellers list. I just was wondering what the new new is.

I’ll agree with the poster above that especially for slightly older YA stuff a lot of the post apocalyptic stuff burned bright hard and fast then fizzled out. Some of the movies like Divergent bombed too. So not surprised that all retreated back to the shadows.

Thanks for some of the new recommendations though. Also I’m probably older than some expect in here cause the poster above who said the bridge between my era had me going if only they knew to add like 10+ to how old they think I am. LoL

Some of those books I had to read in school. I think the ones that the teachers saw no one cared for was for sure Artemis Fowl. Also as a part of class we read Touching Spirit Bear which is an amazing book. I own it and the sequel via Amazon e-reader. I've not read the sequel yet since it was gifted to me in 2017.

Touching Spirit Bear and Ghost of Spirit Bear

Why do people feel the need to throw this out when someone mentions that she’s suffering no real consequences for her horrendousness? Give me a break. The fact that she remains untouchable is important to bring up. She continues to write bestsellers for children and adults (her adult fiction is overtly racist and misogynist), and her wealth and status affords her political and legal power that allow her to exert her influence to harm individuals and groups of people here. She is quite literally and actively campaigning to make life worse for a lot of us and I’m sick of papering over that with her shitheap work (which has always been full of questionable stuff and red flags and I’m surprised people in here seem to be forgetting it lol) or moving the discussion to “but it’s okay to like her third rate wizard books, I’m not a bad person for that!”

Because I don’t think it has any bearing on my enjoyment of the books. One of my favorite book/series is Enders Game who also has a problematic author (but the movie adaption was horrendous! 😕 ).

Didn’t mean to divert the thread. I’m also interested in the premise of the thread, if there’s something great and new I haven’t heard of. 😇

Quoted by: Leo
Harry Potter represents the dangers of the UK Labour Party embracing third-way neoliberalism

Because I don’t think it has any bearing on my enjoyment of the books.

That was not the discussion though. Your comment was unprompted and felt dismissive of a serious issue.

If people are discussing trans rights and bigotry, no one cares or needs to know how much you love Harry Potter, it's irrelevant.

That was not the discussion though. Your comment was unprompted and felt dismissive of a serious issue.

If people are discussing trans rights and bigotry, no one cares or needs to know how much you love Harry Potter, it's irrelevant.
Yes, it was the discussion. It's a thread about YA novels, not JK Rowling. Which is in the midst of a derail.

Trans rights and bigotry are important to discuss and highlight, but if a mention of She Who Must Not Be Named means the thread immediately becomes about her and only her then this ceases to function as a forum.

Here's a list of 2021 YA novels recommended by Goodreads users

Yes, it was the discussion. It's a thread about YA novels, not JK Rowling. Which is in the midst of a derail.

Trans rights and bigotry are important to discuss and highlight, but if a mention of She Who Must Not Be Named means the thread immediately becomes about her and only her then this ceases to function as a forum.

Here's a list of 2021 YA novels recommended by Goodreads users

The thread is about what YA series are popular these days. Someone made an in topic comment saying HP is still popular even with the whole problem surrounding JK Rowling. Then, the user I responded to, came with "I can separate art from the artist". No one had said at that point people should stop liking HP, so that comment felt like the intention wasn't to respond to something in the discussion, but to umpromptedly dismiss the trans community issues with JK Rowling.

This is a pattern I've seen too many times in any discussion that remotely involves HP and I don't think it should get a pass without being called out.

One can't read a thread about books without to be remembered of Rowling's hate against LGQBT. I know this would happen if i click on the thread. People just can't let go of it and give her the spotlight. For all i fight against racism ( i basically studied that as a social worker). It really gets annoying to read about Rowling's dumbness over and over and over again.

To be honest. I was really interested, what are current youth books too. With the pandemic, i havn't set foot in a bookstore for like two years. Feel out if touch with that and really like to know.

Last edited:
One can't read a thread about books without to be remembered of Rowling's hate against LGQBT. I know this would happen if i click on the thread. People just can't let go of it and give her the spotlight. For all i fight against racism ( i basically studied that as a social worker). It really gets annoying to read about Rowling's dumbness over and over and over again.

To be honest. I was really interested, what are current youth books too. With the pandemic, i havn't set foot in a bookstore for like two years. Feel out if touch with that and really like to know.
It's really honestly the same stuff I grew up with that is still popular. I think the 2000s were the golden Era for young adult novels.

Like everyone has been saying, Harry Potter is by far the most popular among my students. Then you have your Rick Riordon Demigod series, Twilight comes and goes in popularity, ect. I don't really think there is something that is huge coming along yet. I suspect though coming out of the pandemic, we could see something pretty big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom