• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion So Nintendo decided to release a game in all of their Mario RPG franchises within a year..

souio

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if they're testing the waters to see which one they're going to continue one with going forward? It's a good time to be a Mario RPG fan either way!

Paper Mario is going to continue.

I really want to know who is handling Mario & Luigi since Alpha Dream is gone.

Super Mario RPG 2 is almost certainly going to happen. No way Square and Nintendo walk away after the remake did 3m in two months time

Paper Mario should have permission to go hog wild on making wacky original stuff if Mario and Luigi can still do it

Intelligent Systems, please

Mario RPG fans are sitting pretty right now. Would have never imagined all 3 of the main series would release so close to one another. They’ve gotta be assessing what fans are into.

Bodes well for Paper Mario's future if a brand new Mario RPG is allowed to have unique characters again. Hope the gameplay is better too in the next one but even if its not I just want unique characters with a fun story again. However even if Paper Mario never gets better to me I think I'll be okay with that now.

Mario and Luigi is back and the TTYD remake was incredible so honestly I can deal if Paper Mario stays on its current trajectory.

I'm so fucking happy about this new M&L game man, its unbelievable.

happy-tears.gif

Best case of all time scenario would be an annual rotation of SMRPG, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi. That would give each game a good 3 year dev cycle too!

We live in the best timeline.

I actually got TTYD and while it's pacing suffers and is definitely not as good as the original (and despite that its fans have been obnoxious), is still a good RPG so I'm all for more entries of each series.

Best case of all time scenario would be an annual rotation of SMRPG, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi. That would give each game a good 3 year dev cycle too!
This is about what I expect.

These, along with Ubisoft's next Rabbids game, would just make sure there'd be one new entrant in every Mario RPG franchise on the next console, and that would just be spiffy.

Mario RPG fans are sitting pretty right now. Would have never imagined all 3 of the main series would release so close to one another. They’ve gotta be assessing what fans are into.
To me it more looks like they realised there's room for more than one style of RPG/Adventure game with Mario characters.

The first Mario RPG I played was Superstar Saga, years ago, and didn't play Paper Mario until it hit NSO. Super Mario RPG was a good time, I loved the weird classic-square companion characters, and I've been enjoying my slow play through of Thousand Year Door.

But Mario + Luigi is my Mario RPG, and honestly I never expected to get a new one. I'm happy for all ya'll Mario RPG fans, but I'm most happy for me.

Giving Mario RPGs a COD-style development/release cycle sounds like a terrible idea.

This is about what I expect.

These, along with Ubisoft's next Rabbids game, would just make sure there'd be one new entrant in every Mario RPG franchise on the next console, and that would just be spiffy.

M+L:Brothership 2024 holiday
SMRPG2 2025 holiday
Paper Mario RPG 2026 holiday

Sounds like a plan

I hope they go back to the status quo of the 2000s with both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi co-existing as RPG franchises.

M&L existing shouldn't preclude Paper Mario from not being an RPG series and making the 64/TTYD successor game almost everyone wants. Paper Mario is better as an RPG and not an experimental adventure series with a papercraft aesthetic. Create a new series for that.

I wonder if they're testing the waters to see which one they're going to continue one with going forward? It's a good time to be a Mario RPG fan either way!
They're not "testing the waters" in any sort with Mario & Luigi, they flat-out greenlit a brand new entry that looks like it has the biggest budget the series has had so far. It seems to me they have full faith in the IP still despite the tail end of the 3DS era.

I don't know what the future holds, but it's pretty exciting!

mostly I just very much appreciate Nintendo taking a huge dump from on high on all the Mario RPG fan conspiracy debate nonsense

that era is truly behind us now. thank all the gods for that

oh doodoo my bad, a quick correction:

the era of absolute mario rpg fan nonsense is behind us for MOST of us

and you know, if some folks choose to remain in that hell state forever, well you got to respect that I guess. good for them lol

oh doodoo my bad, a quick correction:

the era of absolute mario rpg fan nonsense is behind us for MOST of us

and you know, if some folks choose to remain in that hell state forever, well you got to respect that I guess. good for them lol
No rest until Paper Mario is brought back to form. I love M&L but it's not a substitute, it's a different franchise

not looking forward to like 2 years from now when a sequel to one of these gets announced and the other two are pre-emptively declared dead

Remakes don’t always do it for me, but even so, I don’t know how the heck we got three Mario RPGs in one year, but wow what an awesome time to be a Mario RPG fan with all three branches covered and ending on a brand new big one that looks spectacular! All of these series mean a ton to me so to see that legacy revitalized in such a big way is awesome.

Paper Mario is only in question because nobody, fans included, seems to know exactly what Nintendo should do with it. All they have is “make a game like TTYD”, even as they admit that the combat system needs serious retooling.

Look, TTYD is tied for my favorite game of all time, and the Mario/Luigi games are great. But in both cases, most series have come further in fewer tries. I want to see what Super Mario RPG 2 would be like.

Back
Top Bottom