• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Skies Of Arcadia is next pick for RPG remaster says new rumour

Sumio Mondo

Lynchian
Pronouns
He/Him
A new rumour says Sega is remastering cult classic Skies Of Arcadia, but doesn’t specify for which platforms.

In 2021, Sega mentioned wanting to bring back dormant IPs but, since then, it hasn’t really followed through with those plans, aside from a new Samba De Amigo that was announced for Nintendo Switch last month.

There were reports last year of big budget reboots for Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio but aside from them being namedropped in a recent survey, Sega hasn’t acknowledged either project.

Now, there’s chatter of the company reviving its cult classic role-player Skies Of Arcadia with a new remaster.

Skies Of Arcadia originally launched as a Sega Dreamcast exclusive in 2001 and is widely considered to be one of the console’s best games.

Unfortunately, it underperformed commercially and didn’t appear to do that much better when it was ported to the Nintendo GameCube in 2003.

Although Sega didn’t mention Skies Of Arcadia in its 2021 list of dormant IPs it was considering reviving, XboxEra’s Nick ‘Shpeshal’ Baker claims that it is getting the remaster treatment.

He even goes so far as to say, ‘If this thing doesn’t come out, it’s because Sega chose not to [sic] cause I’ve seen screenshots, so I know it exists.’ You can hear his comments from the 2:02:24 mark in the video below.

Rumour is 5 days old but didn't see a thread on here about this. Walk me off the plank if news is old.
This ain't April Fools by the way, just since this is now a SEGA board, thought people would wanna know if they didn't already. :p

Much as I love the game, skies of Arcadia would be a terrible pick. It'd be among the most expensive choices Sega could make but is also the absolute definition of a cult following rather than anything mainstream. Coupled with it being one of the bigger pre third party games Sega put out...

I guess if they want to go for 3/3 times with it underperforming and killing the initiative, it's a solid choice though.

Gonna take this with a pinch of salt, but wouldn't complain if it was real.

I hate that you made this thread today.
bh187-home-alone.gif

Was thinking it was an april fools joke, but then I saw it was a Xbox Era/Nick rumor, so it makes it even less likely to be real.

Much as I love the game, skies of Arcadia would be a terrible pick. It'd be among the most expensive choices Sega could make but is also the absolute definition of a cult following rather than anything mainstream. Coupled with it being one of the bigger pre third party games Sega put out...

I guess if they want to go for 3/3 times with it underperforming and killing the initiative, it's a solid choice though.
Why would it be expensive? They don't need to do a comprehensive remake; this could easily be a simple face-lift and digital only release.

I can't confirm if it was from Dolphin exactly, but it sure looked like just a slightly higher res screen of the original game cropped down weirdly.

I can't confirm if it was from Dolphin exactly, but it sure looked like just a slightly higher res screen of the original game cropped down weirdly.
Yeah, if it was real it looked like a pretty basic remaster, which is really all we could expect for a niche game like this.

I'd expect a SoA remaster to be no more than what Square did with Chrono Cross: update the main character models just a bit, render in a higher resolution, and call it good. It's probably all a Dreamcast era game really needs at this point. So hopefully not as expensive as you assume.

Skies of Arcadia Legend was excellent though I never finished it (probably about 85% completion). I’ve been meaning to revisit it even if I’ve said that every year since 2003. I’d be down for a remaster.

I'd expect a SoA remaster to be no more than what Square did with Chrono Cross: update the main character models just a bit, render in a higher resolution, and call it good. It's probably all a Dreamcast era game really needs at this point. So hopefully not as expensive as you assume.

I probably did a bad job conveying it, but the problem as I see it is that there just doesn't seem to be much demand for Dreamcast games.

Shenmue 1+2 on steamspy is in the 100k-200k range (couldn't see better estimates elsewhere), and that was an equivalent cult classic from the same era. And segas first attempt at doing budget re-releases of Dreamcast games was so far below their expectations that shuttered the project immediately.

And to be honest, I think people underestimate a little how much effort needs to go in to porting old games well. Otherwise, you wouldn't get garbage like the disastrous switch port of tales of symphonia, for a recent example. Other than shenmue, which has already been done, SOA is probably the biggest (in terms of size and assets, not audience) game Sega released on the Dreamcast, and if I was in the decision making chair at Sega, I definitely wouldn't make it my first pick. There are other games they would probably do first to test the waters again, most obviously Sonic adventure 1/2 that I would expect to see first if they actually did decide to revisit the Dreamcast library in earnest.

I probably did a bad job conveying it, but the problem as I see it is that there just doesn't seem to be much demand for Dreamcast games.

Shenmue 1+2 on steamspy is in the 100k-200k range (couldn't see better estimates elsewhere), and that was an equivalent cult classic from the same era. And segas first attempt at doing budget re-releases of Dreamcast games was so far below their expectations that shuttered the project immediately.

And to be honest, I think people underestimate a little how much effort needs to go in to porting old games well. Otherwise, you wouldn't get garbage like the disastrous switch port of tales of symphonia, for a recent example. Other than shenmue, which has already been done, SOA is probably the biggest (in terms of size and assets, not audience) game Sega released on the Dreamcast, and if I was in the decision making chair at Sega, I definitely wouldn't make it my first pick. There are other games they would probably do first to test the waters again, most obviously Sonic adventure 1/2 that I would expect to see first if they actually did decide to revisit the Dreamcast library in earnest.
I apparently missed the rereleases of DC games they did... What titles were those? I had no idea Sega was even starting to dip into that library.

In the early 2010s Sega Bass Fishing, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio got PS3/X360/PC releases.

EDIT: JSR came a bit later, I guess Sonic Adventure was part of the first wave.
ryRnoG3.jpg

Day 1 if this happens, especially if they release a physical version.

I used to own the DC version, but i traded it for i don't remember what. Such an idiot.

Then i remember back in the day seeing the GC version in a store at release asking price and thinking to myself "will get it later". So will not make the same error......3 times.

The dream of reviving Skies of Arcadia died with Rieko Kodama (may she RIP).

Wasn't this already debunked as the alleges screenshot was actually from Dolphin?
for those unaware, this is the screenshot.
Qm9EJMgl.jpg

it was, in fact. just a cropped Dolphin screenshot. taken from a fanmade HD texture pack.

regardless, i wouldn't be surprised if SEGA eventually does a new Dreamcast re-release soon. since it's been about 4-5 years since the last one. (Samba De Amigo seems to be more of a proper sequel than a re-release.)

Rumour is 5 days old but didn't see a thread on here about this. Walk me off the plank if news is old.
This ain't April Fools by the way, just since this is now a SEGA board, thought people would wanna know if they didn't already. :p

YES!

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I'm the #1 fan of Skies of ArcadiaI!

With a remaster, a sequel is now possible!

Back
Top Bottom