• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Should Nintendo Ever Consider Bring Back Majora For A New Zelda?

Should Majora Ever return?

• Total voters

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
arguably being the 2nd most recognizable villain in the franchise behind Ganondorf/Ganon, Majora only played a major part in one game, should Nintendo consider giving this villain another shot or would it cause diminishing returns?

No, they work better as a weird one-off. Trying to fit Majora into a more traditional scenario (or explain what they are) would only ruin them, little by little. The allusions in TP were enough.

Same for the Wind Fish.

I'm also inclined to answer "No" to every "should X come back?" (unless X is left unresolved or a series staple). Give me something new.

I would absolutely love that. Not Skull Kid, mind you, but the mask and the spirit inhabiting it. While neat that the mask appeared in BOTW and TOTK, I feel like it's inclusion as just another collectable headpiece sort of undermined how rare and dangerous (for everyone) the mask is supposed to be.

I adore Majora’s Mask, on some days it is my favorite Zelda game, but I don’t specifically want Majora to return. I would not mind however hearing more about the people who made it in future games if it makes sense.

Majora would be a lot less interesting without the mystery behind it. Love MM but see no reason to return to the lore of that game, it's fine as is.

No, think it would lessen how good Majora is if it were to pop up again, is the kind of thing you do once to get that level of lasting impact. Would prefer a new villain, hopefully in the next game.

Kind of wild at least for me the last new Zelda villains who made much of an impact were Ghirahim and Demise a decade ago. A Link Between World’s painting villain was a bit of a dud and Tri Force Heroes’ villain certainly was.

Kind of wild at least for me the last new Zelda villains who made much of an impact were Ghirahim and Demise a decade ago. A Link Between World’s painting villain was a bit of a dud and Tri Force Heroes’ villain certainly was.
Eh, historically speaking Zelda villains that leave an impact are pretty rare. It's mostly just Ganon, and then Majora/Skull Kid and Ghirahim.

Let's be real, people mostly mention Vaati because he's the only other recurring villain besides Ganon, he's not terribly interesting in his own right. Does anyone care about guys like Bellum? Or Nightmare? People mostly ended up disappointed with Zant's role in Twilight Princess (even though I thought he was at his most interesting as a kooky weirdo). Link's Shadow from Zelda II is mostly, well, oveshadowed by Dark Link. You get the idea here.

Vaati is less than not terribly interesting. He's a non-entity in the Four Swords games. Hell, not even Nintendo cared to clarify what happened to him in Four Swords Adventures.

Anyway, Majora specifically? No. It's another non-entity that people only remember because it was attached to Skull Kid. Once Skull Kid was removed it was just another silent boss. We got the relevant backstory and conclusion in Majora's Mask. I think thats enough.

I'd rather explore new villains and what they can bring to the franchise. There is still plenty of untapped potential in the BotW/TotK universe for villains if they stick with it. Like civil war, invasion from other kingdoms with Hyrule in a weakened state from Ganon's attacks etc.

Eh, historically speaking Zelda villains that leave an impact are pretty rare. It's mostly just Ganon, and then Majora/Skull Kid and Ghirahim.

Let's be real, people mostly mention Vaati because he's the only other recurring villain besides Ganon, he's not terribly interesting in his own right. Does anyone care about guys like Bellum? Or Nightmare? People mostly ended up disappointed with Zant's role in Twilight Princess (even though I thought he was at his most interesting as a kooky weirdo). Link's Shadow from Zelda II is mostly, well, oveshadowed by Dark Link. You get the idea here.
Zant is great. Love his menacing Darth Vader role early on and then his reveal as a volatile, petty, and pathetic weirdo.

Vaati works well enough in either his evil wizard or demon eyeball mode.

But this gets to what I mean. We got our first great non Ganon villain with Majora and had a decent streak going with Vaati, Zant, Ghirahim, and Demise. A solid decade or so of decent villains and then kinda eh again since.

Despite being a nothing character in terms of story and it being a silly game, the Lady in Tri Force Heroes is hilarious for how petty and low stakes she is with her curse.

I'd also say if you count spinoffs we got good villains in Cia and Octavo.

Nah, I loved it in MM but it’s not needed

If we want to talk about returning villains I’ll keep saying it - Twinrova.

It’s shocking to me that they aren’t used more, especially now that BotW/TOTK brought back the Gerudo. They could literally be the Kamek to Ganondorf’s Bowser. Like how you don’t see Bowser in every castle of a 2D Mario game, but little Kamek is always there to cause problems. Similarly, I couldn’t see Ganon following Link around and causing hijinx in all the dungeons, but Koume and Kotake would be very fitting for that.

They’re tied to Ganon and thus can justify being recurring without it feeling forced. They’ve proved they can mastermind a villainous master plan that carries a whole game with the Oracles.

I really think they’re still the most untapped villain in the series. they have an important relationship to Ganondorf so that can be interesting character-wise for him and them, they can act as his right hand lackeys and be kind of a reccuring “rival” fight (and already have multiple established forms you can fight them in), and they can act in his absence.

No, I don't think it makes a lot of sense and would only end up diminishing Majora's Mask and the new game. The entity of Majora lives from the mystery surrounding it, its true nature being lost due to the disappearance of the Ancient Ones. Giving it more exposure or fleshing it out misses the point entirely.

If they insist on bringing back old villains, there's better choices. I don't exactly know what they plan after BotW and TotK and how they are related to the older games. But Vaati, Twinrova, even Onox and Veran are better suited to reinterpretation.

I think the concept of Majora deserves another shot. They can reuse the current totk map if they want but with a moon coming in for destruction in 7 days (Would be a wonderful view from the Sky Islands) and also use the whole map as a basis for time related puzzles.

I'd rather see another time loop Zelda game like Majora's Mask rather then the titular Majora's Mask return. The only non Ganon/dorf villain who I think should get another chance to shine is Vaati in the 3D 4 Swords Adventure game Nintendo will definitely make one day.

I'd love to see Majora again, but I doubt they would bring them back unless they were doing a full on spiritual successor to Majora's Mask.

I think Vaati is more likely to return of Link's past foes, but a completely new one is even more likely.

Nah. Majora works in a specific context and is best left with some questions unanswered. Just do a new villain if they want to make another bizarre Zelda game.

I'm not in favor of them bringing back any returning villains, aside from Ganon/dorf. I want new characters.

I'd prefer something that maybe lightly alluded to Majora's Mask at most - really I want something thematically similar or at least unique in a similar way, after Tears of the Kingdom all the regular Zelda tropes feel especially exhausted.

A new Zelda? No. They need to be self contained and forward looking.

A new Hyrule Warriors though? Absolutely. That's a fertile ground for fanservice based lore stuff

That’s pretty much a textbook example of a game idea they could do if they feel like filling one of the holes in the timeline. MM prequel involving Majora and the Fierce Deity

Same thing with the Imprisoning War (the one between OOT and ALTTP)

I mean, who/what is Majora anyway? Not even MM really showed us. It’s just the mask. The mystery of it is what’s so compelling.

Unless you mean bringing back the Mask itself as a story element?

I love Majora’s Mask but absolutely not

what they need is more creative structures and interesting villains LIKE Majora

hell, even like Zant

EVEN LIKE GHIRAHIM (maybe less homophobic but eh, I’m the kind of queer who will begrudgingly read things as camp to not think about how hated I am)

more motivated and interesting people

a little more tragedy in the mix

like even Wind Waker Ganondorf feels more real

more recent motivations don’t have the same sting. there should always be a little truth to them, you know?

and I love how in Majora’s Mask and Twilight Princess and Wind Waker and Skyward Sword — the focal antagonists are so integral with what’s wild about the world

not that this isn’t true here

but…

yeah, some more Majora-like characters should be in the mix

not that BotW and TotK aren’t amazing at the things they’re doing and on a much grander scale — there could just be some more pointed story and interplay happening, more pointed relationships that mean things in real time

If you’re not going Ganondorf, make someone totally new, but with the same presence as Majora. that’d be sick.

I don't see why not, I don't think Ganon reappearing lessens his impact. I'd prefer they make new villains though, and I agree Vaati would make a lot of sense for returning.

I feel like BOTW/TOTK mined the Ganon/dorf villain space pretty heavily and we're kind of good on that for a while, so I think the next game should go wildly different and really change things up. But I don't really want Majora or anyone else to return - let's do a completely new world, new characters, new villain, everything.

How so? It was a mirror world so it basically exists so as not to impact the greater canon.

Right but does it actually exist within the Zelda universe, and are those events considered to have taken place? The events in, or land of, Termina do not seem to have any impact at all on the timeline or universe at all, notably with relation to the Hero of Time. I’d therefore consider MM to be decanonized, and the Hyrule Historia seems to reflect that Nintendo consider the events within retconned.

Right but does it actually exist within the Zelda universe, and are those events considered to have taken place? The events in, or land of, Termina do not seem to have any impact at all on the timeline or universe at all, notably with relation to the Hero of Time. I’d therefore consider MM to be decanonized, and the Hyrule Historia seems to reflect that Nintendo consider the events within retconned.
That's a feature, not a bug. Majora is a standalone story easily enjoyed regardless of your exposure to the rest of the series. Being sectioned off allowed them a lot of creative liberty, which makes the game so unique relative to the rest of the series.

“Retconned” means “continuity inserted retroactively” — if anything, bringing Majora back and explaining their origins beyond what we already have would be a retcon.

The events not really having any impact is part of the game’s core theme, as well. Link doesn’t do things because they’ll make a lasting impact even in Termina, since the world has to reset every three days. He does them because they’re important to do in and of themselves.

I do not believe that the systematic presence of Ganon slash Ganondorf is a handicap for the license. I say this not only because more and more years go by between each new episode, but also because the guiding narrative principle of the series is to be a myth with multiple rewrites and multiple variations.

Majora was a unique and singular project that is self-sufficient and it is very good like that, it is also what makes all its charm.

However, this does not mean that we cannot introduce new characters and new mechanics. What recent episodes of the series have managed to do with Link’s acolytes, it is possible to do with threats.

I also find that what is missing from the two episodes of the open world formula is the lack of narrative consideration of the point of view and motivations of the antagonists. That would be interesting and we can express a lot of creativity around that.
And if you really want a completely new universe, it’s just another great reason to make real new 2D games and not just remakes.

I actually thought Chancellor Cole was a good villain as was Byrne as an anti-hero. ST in general has a lot of elements of a great Zelda game just marred with broken instrument controls for some DS models and the overworld could’ve been a lot better.

I actually thought Chancellor Cole was a good villain as was Byrne as an anti-hero. ST in general has a lot of elements of a great Zelda game just marred with broken instrument controls for some DS models and the overworld could’ve been a lot better.
Cole and Byrne were great, but Malladus is like the funniest villain the series has ever had. Just an off brand Ganon in every facet lol. I genuinely wonder the thought process for creating him.

ST in general had this feeling, despite me actually liking it more than most. The game that depicted the far future of the new land that Link and Tetra founded deserved to be a main console game with a much more ambitious vision imo.

That's a feature, not a bug. Majora is a standalone story easily enjoyed regardless of your exposure to the rest of the series. Being sectioned off allowed them a lot of creative liberty, which makes the game so unique relative to the rest of the series.

It's not a stand-alone story because Majora's Mask takes place directly after Ocarina of Time, and includes one of the most important Heroes in the timeline, the Hero of Time. The core story premise for Majora's Mask is traced from Ocarina of Time and was not resolved in that game. There's always been a door open for Nintendo to return to the Hero of Time, but it seems as if they're looking to close that door instead of leaving it open.

I'm not even that hugely fussed about Majora's return, but it seems as if that the tribe responsible for the mask will also not feature again, as with most of the surrounding local transferable canon.

Cole and Byrne were great, but Malladus is like the funniest villain the series has ever had. Just an off brand Ganon in every facet lol. I genuinely wonder the thought process for creating him.

ST in general had this feeling, despite me actually liking it more than most. The game that depicted the far future of the new land that Link and Tetra founded deserved to be a main console game with a much more ambitious vision imo.
Agreed. While it would be very unlike Nintendo to do. I would love a remake of PH and ST presumably on a Switch or successor. That or a sequel to those games.

Back
Top Bottom