• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance announced for PC and consoles, coming June 14th (out now!)

Oh I wouldn't say that I thought SMT V was necessarily bad. It just fell massively short of what I wanted out of the series after SMT IV. The foundation was good, there just needed to be more done with the world, story, and characters. Vengeance looks like it'll be addressing a good chunk of that so I'm definitely gonna be picking it up
Yeah, I’m similarly hoping that Vengeance makes up for what I found to be lacking with the original release. Fingers crossed!

We got more info on the transfer from SMTV to Vengence on switch. I wont post the list because there are demon spoilers.

TLDR; You have a clear game bonus and rewards for inidividual route plus if you completed every route.

We got more info on the transfer from SMTV to Vengence on switch. I wont post the list because there are demon spoilers.

TLDR; You have a clear game bonus and rewards for inidividual route plus if you completed every route.

About what I expected. yeah that's fine. still worth finishing all the content in the OG

I gotta decide who I wanna carry over. wish it was more than 3 😢

Seeing the improvements and I'm more pissed as I refuse to spend another 60 bucks. They could've atleast offered digital buyers a discount on this smfh. Think I should just ignore these threads as find myself getting mad everytime I read them

The higher resolution used in these trailers really makes this game shine, some very pretty shots in that trailer.

Must include lots of small jingles

Still very salty that I won't be able to transfer my entire dope Compendium, but oh well
Just think, you get to recreate it all over again! Plus with lots of new demons! And besides, if the new level cap is 150 then I would assume they wouldn't cut it in endgame anymore anyway. Although who knows exactly how that works.

I gotta decide who I wanna carry over. wish it was more than 3 😢
Still very salty that I won't be able to transfer my entire dope Compendium, but oh well
Just think, you get to recreate it all over again! Plus with lots of new demons! And besides, if the new level cap is 150 then I would assume they wouldn't cut it in endgame anymore anyway. Although who knows exactly how that works.
Hah yeah, I can understand why they restricted it this way to encourage players to experiment more with the new demons, but it's gonna be hard picking just 3 😂.

I haven't played it in forever...looking forward to booting it back up and checking out who to bring.

Who will you guys take?

Hah yeah, I can understand why they restricted it this way to encourage players to experiment more with the new demons, but it's gonna be hard picking just 3 😂.

I haven't played it in forever...looking forward to booting it back up and checking out who to bring.

Who will you guys take?
I'm actually going to move over to the PS5 version this time, so no transferring for me. If I could, I'd take my Metatron - he was my MVP from base game. That almighty suped-up Fires of Sanai is crazy good

Who will you guys take?
The same demons everybody uses
Cleo and Idun for sure. Then either Shiva or Nuwa. I like Nuwa better but Shiva's got a better skillset

The same demons everybody uses
Cleo and Idun for sure. Then either Shiva or Nuwa. I like Nuwa better but Shiva's got a better skillset
I never got the DLC, so I'll get to try out the DLC demons this time around. Or beat Shiva, for that matter. I did everything except that.

So am I the only one bringing lv 99 Nekomata with me then.

Seeing the improvements and I'm more pissed as I refuse to spend another 60 bucks. They could've atleast offered digital buyers a discount on this smfh. Think I should just ignore these threads as find myself getting mad everytime I read them
The way I see it, I got my money's worth the first time around already. It was a fantastic experience, one of my fave JRPGs. Even knowing what I know now about Vengeance, if I were told back in 2021 that it would be coming in 2024, I'd still get it then because I ain't waiting 2-3 years to play this amazing game.

Now enough time has passed and Vengeance seems substantial enough in terms of added content, so I'm fine with double-dipping.

Who will you guys take?
Sorry for the double post but I just realized.

I think I'll be going with another version this time, but I was planning in bringing the most basic demons lol Idun, Artemis and maybe a busted Mermaid I had with 120+ Magic.

Looks like it is probably worth it for me to finish my NG+, especially since I'm in the last Da'at area anyway.

I am trying to avoid spoilers and thus did not read previews. Is the Vengeance path worth it if I played the original several times? Afaik the paths split after the first area: is the Vengeance path also new areas/maps/locations or simply a different storyline within the same areas?

I am trying to avoid spoilers and thus did not read previews. Is the Vengeance path worth it if I played the original several times? Afaik the paths split after the first area: is the Vengeance path also new areas/maps/locations or simply a different storyline within the same areas?
Mostly new story tidbits in the same areas, but then at about the 50% mark of the original story it goes completely off the rails. There's a new superdungeon and one new Da'at zone, though.

Exactly the 50% mark, no idea. But going by the levels we've seen in the trailers it's likely around there. The stuff about the locations is from the articles and interviews though.
Based on what we saw the story changes way earlier. The whole scene at the school with Lahmu is already VERY different and changes everything happening after that

Based on what we saw the story changes way earlier. The whole scene at the school with Lahmu is already VERY different and changes everything happening after that
That's big from a character perspective but that's what I meant by new tidbits, especially since Sahori and technically Tao still both die there. The next chapter of the story plays out basically identically to the base game, while the third and fourth chapters are quite different.

That's big from a character perspective but that's what I meant by new tidbits, especially since Sahori and technically Tao still both die there. The next chapter of the story plays out basically identically to the base game, while the third and fourth chapters are quite different.
We know this... how? Unless I missed something I didn't think they had been this specific.

....they had a six-hour livestream showing the school getting attacked, what happens with Sahori, and you going into the second Da'at to find the missing students. It's archived a page or two back.
Oh seriously? I didn't see that at all! Shows how much I'm apparently out of the loop. Okay then. Well, that's still pretty promising.

Anyone know how the performance on Switch is compared to the original yet?
I don't think there has been a real indication as to how it will perform. The one trailer looking like Switch footage (on Nintendo's YT channel, iirc) could have just been PC footage with everything set to low and a framerate cap. I fear we'll have to wait til launch day basically.

....they had a six-hour livestream showing the school getting attacked, what happens with Sahori, and you going into the second Da'at to find the missing students. It's archived a page or two back.
Did we watch the same stream?
Nobody died there. That was the big twist people were surprised about. Sahori survived this.. We did miss some scenes WHY we get into second Da'at but from all we saw Sahori survived and was NOT fused with Lahmu at the school.

Did we watch the same stream?
Nobody died there. That was the big twist people were surprised about. Sahori survived this.. We did miss some scenes WHY we get into second Da'at but from all we saw Sahori survived and was NOT fused with Lahmu at the school.

Lilith shows up and kills both Tao and Sahori for their Magatsuhi after you beat Lahmu. Tao goes to a freaky negative space where someone tells her about her powers, and she reincarnates where she died. Yuzuru decks Dazai for screwing around and letting Miyako get kidnapped, which leads into the second Da'at.

I was laughing about exactly this last page.

EDIT: In fact here let me timestamp this for you.

2h:44m:44s if the video doesn't go straight there.

Lilith shows up and kills both Tao and Sahori for their Magatsuhi after you beat Lahmu. Tao goes to a freaky negative space where someone tells her about her powers, and she reincarnates where she died. Yuzuru decks Dazai for screwing around and letting Miyako get kidnapped, which leads into the second Da'at.

I was laughing about exactly this last page.

EDIT: In fact here let me timestamp this for you.

2h:44m:44s if the video doesn't go straight there.

Okay, I missed or forgot this scene. But actually.... this changes the story even more. In the original in this scene Sahori fuses with Lahmu and Tao survives. It's only at the END of the 2th Da'at that we fight Lahmu's second form and Tao and Sahori died. Here both die BEFORE the second Da'at instead of at the end. In the original our goal was to rescue Sahori in the second Da'at.

Okay, I missed or forgot this scene. But actually.... this changes the story even more. In the original in this scene Sahori fuses with Lahmu and Tao survives. It's only at the END of the 2th Da'at that we fight Lahmu's second form and Tao and Sahori died. Here both die BEFORE the second Da'at instead of at the end. In the original our goal was to rescue Sahori in the second Da'at.
Again, not really. You're in the second Da'at to save someone important to a Bethel member. It's just Yuzuru instead of Tao. The story goes off the rails at the end of that Da'at, when (going by the trailer) you're forced to fight Khonsu.

Reviews starting to come out and looking quite good. Sounds like story and QOL are much improved over the original, although the Switch version isn’t really improved performance-wise

I was thinking of buying it, since I didn't play the original and Persona 5 Royal I loved it. I have PS4 as well, but I play a lot more on Switch, was the performance bad or was it just at certain specific times?
As usual, exaggerated by people who never played the game. There was one specific area where I had routine slowdowns, otherwise it was more than fine.

Reviews starting to come out and looking quite good. Sounds like story and QOL are much improved over the original, although the Switch version isn’t really improved performance-wise
I saw mixed takes on the story. One comment claimed it has a stronger first half, which is unfortunate because that's the half with the most in common with the original game.

It seems that the performance has not improved compared to the original.

I was thinking of buying it, since I didn't play the original and Persona 5 Royal I loved it. I have PS4 as well, but I play a lot more on Switch, was the performance bad or was it just at certain specific times?
It got worse the further you got into the game, at least for me. The early areas run fine, but in the later ones the framerate could drop to (eyeballing it) 24-25, and it usually stayed at the 27-30 range. It fluctuates a lot, and that's on top of things like low-ish draw distance, half-rate animations for distant objects, jerky screen transitions and the like.

It got worse the further you got into the game, at least for me. The early areas run fine, but in the later ones the framerate could drop to (eyeballing it) 24-25, and it usually stayed at the 27-30 range. It fluctuates a lot, and that's on top of things like low-ish draw distance, half-rate animations for distant objects, jerky screen transitions and the like.

The area with the towers activations had really awful stuttering and performance dipped fairly low there. On top of the bad performance, it's a hell area to navigate. Really made for a miserable experience. Hoping if nothing else, that area was improved across the board

Back
Top Bottom