• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Shigeru Miyamoto explained why Pikmin Bloom is good and somehow everyone ignored him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
Shigeru Miyamoto is irrefutably one of the greatest minds of the video game industry, credited with creating Mario, Zelda, and most importantly Pikmin. So please tell me why when he took the time to kindly explain to the uncultured masses why mobile application Pikmin Bloom is good, they ignored him? Why when this genius opened his mouth, the plebeians among us complained about pacing? I contend that when Shigeru Miyamoto speaks, we should all sit our gaijin asses down and listen. Perhaps if you won't listen to this absolute legend, you'll listen to some guy on the internet. After all, I've beaten Pikmin 3 with all fruits and no deaths, so I'm something of a Pikmin gamer.

First of all, let's all take the time to listen to Miyamoto-san again, this time without the fanxiety and whining that marred his appearance when the Direct was live.

After briefly explaining the game, Miyamoto firmly asserts that Pikmin are all around us. With no further explanation, we then get to see the screen of the Mario maker himself. From this we immediately learn that Shigeru Miyamoto has 699 Pikmin, which is an incredible feat. After showing us where his godlike feet touch the Earth, he then drops a megaton quote:

You'll say to yourself, "okay, this time I'll try walking here!" It makes trips and walks a lot of fun.

In this single line, game master Shigeru Miyamoto explains the gameplay of Pikmin Bloom better than any marketing ever has: it makes walking into passive Pikmin gameplay. Pikmin is all about choosing the order in and path by which you do tasks, and in the case of Pikmin Bloom this is realized in your walking. Miyamoto describes choosing to walk different routes on different days to broaden his map, but in college I also often chose to return from a recreational walk by a different route than I left. Similarly, I would send Pikmin on expeditions halfway through and then catch up with them on my return, maximizing efficiency as one would in a Pikmin game.

But anyway, just as we took a look at Miyamoto-san's screen, let's take a look at mine.

URfNebx.jpg

As you can see, I have not quite half as many Pikmin as Miyamoto-sama. When I ran out of storage space last spring, I ended up releasing around fifty Pikmin instead of spending money to increase my capacity. Having since coughed up the money, I am now ashamed of my deed. In that instance, I was the Bulborb, and I will never forgive myself for it.

Incidentally, my 333 Pikmin are a reference to Pikmin 3, the third Pikmin game.

RMhWvDU.jpg

Here are my stats. As you can see, I've taken a lot of steps. My level is quite low, however; I live in a rural area and often am unable to plant a lot of flowers or participate in challenges. My total step count to level up is a lot lower than the steps I've taken, so from now on I should always have enough steps to level up right away. I think I missed one of the monthly Community Day badges, but I don't remember which.

PlyXjwM.jpg

Here are the flowers around my house. As you can see, I plant the flowers that I can when I'm at home, but you plant significantly fewer when you're roughly in the same spot.

Finally, here are a few Pikmin I recently grew. I used to give each type a name based on a theme, but now I give them whatever silly name I can think of at the moment.

rbpuoAM.png
KddQP8M.png

So, do you agree with Miyamoto-san and myself that Pikmin Bloom is a wonderful little mobile application? Do you now respect Miyamoto's presence in the Direct? Are you going to try the app yourself? If you've already used the app, how many Pikmin do you have? I hope that these questions and more are addressed in the conversation below. Thank you for reading.

I am always excited by these types of games but then I’m reminded by the rural areas I live in legit don’t have the best places for these types of games :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom