• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Share Your Ranking Of The Mario RPGs! (No Meta/Fanbase/Direction/Etc. Discussion Allowed)

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
We are currently one week out from the release of the Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door Remake and my excitement for Mario RPGs in general is quite high. While I don’t get too excited for graphical remakes as much as others, the quick one two punch of Mario RPG Switch and TTYD back to back has been exciting and has kept me thinking about all of the games again for months now. I recently finally finished the last Mario RPG I hadn’t finished, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, and had a great time with it which meant I could finally rank all of the main RPG series games for the first time in over a decade.

In this thread, let’s share our rankings of the games and discuss all of the awesome Mario RPGs out there. I’ll be sticking with just the main three JRPG series myself, the two versions of Mario RPG, the six Paper Mario games, and the five Mario and Luigi games, but you are welcome to include games like the Golf and Tennis RPGs and the Mario and Rabbids games if you’d like.

I want to hear your thoughts on the individual games specifically so please focus your posts there. Meta/fanbase/direction/etc. discussions are not allowed. Also, do not take shots at other posters over their video game preferences. You do not have to go in depth with your rankings as I will, nor do you have to rank and discuss every game out there, but please try to at least share a thing or two about your ranking so this isn’t just a list thread.

Ok then, let’s have fun! I’ll kick this off with my rankings:

13: Paper Mario Sticker Star – Sticker Star is unfortunately a completely uneven experience. By ditching regular attacks in favor of one use items, removing unique NPCs in favor of generic Toads, and removing XP and level ups, it creates a dreadful situation in the first half of the game where it is best to just run through every level as everything is a resource drain with no benefits. I had many playthroughs fizzle out in Wiggler’s woods (a horrible poisonous swamp), but on my successful run where I made it across the ocean for the first time, I discovered a much better back half where it becomes the game it wanted to be. Fun scenarios like a haunted house and a river raft ride provide a welcome feeling of proper adventure and the normal levels are markedly better than prior ones. With a greatly expanded inventory, more interesting stickers regularly at your disposal, and generous refunds at the end of levels, the back half is enjoyable to play as you efficiently aim to take out enemies.

12: Mario & Luigi Dream Team – On paper, Dream Team looks to be a fairly solid game and plays with ideas and mechanics that all could be interesting, but ultimately I found this game just a bit too dragged out across the board. Momentum through levels feels slow, the enemy variety feels too limited, and the Dream World sections regularly interrupt the pacing of the adventure. Can’t say I was too wild about this one sadly.

11: Mario & Luigi Partners In Time – It’s been nearly 20 years since I played this game so unfortunately I just don’t really remember it. If I remember right, the level design being more restricted compared to Superstar Saga was a bummer and I wasn’t terribly invested in either the babies or the Shroob aliens. I think I do remember liking the final boss fight. I’d be potentially interested in revisiting this one sometime, so I’ll give it the edge over Dream Team.

10: Mario & Luigi Paper Jam – I just played this one a few weeks ago and I largely enjoyed it! Paper Mario offers great shake ups to both traversal and combat, as the three characters demand more wider level design and as his clone copies let him dodge attacks and power up and shift the properties of his normal moves respectively. Paper Mario and the new combat cards refresh the combat so much it somehow manages to largely overcome the bizarre decision to limit enemy encounter formations to usually just a single type per screen. I also really dug how even though there are only a few worlds in the game to explore, they get refreshed over the adventure as paths close and open as cardboard boxes rain down from the sky. The big mark against this one is sadly the story is paper thin and there aren’t really any memorable characters outside of Toadette.

9: Super Mario RPG Switch – I grew up adoring Super Mario RPG and while I did enjoy checking out this remake and had a blast doing so, with distance I just don’t feel it was terribly essential by any means. It’s distinct enough as a remix to warrant ranking separately I feel, but I doubt I’ll ever reach for it as long as I have access to the original game. Elite enemies for example are an awesome addition that keep you on your toes throughout the adventure, but the new combo buffs and other new combat mechanics generally make a fairly breezy game too easy (bosses especially suffer here) as the game wasn’t rebalanced around them. The new mechanics do however shine brightly in the new post game super bosses that put your mastery of the combat system to the test and wonderfully explore new ideas as well. Even though there wasn’t a lot to it, getting a little bit more of one of my all time favorite games decades later still was very cool.

8: Paper Mario Color Splash – Color Splash is Sticker Star 2, but every weakness in that game is a now a huge a strength. One use items that are a pain to manage and battles that are resource drains? Now they are cards that you don’t have to micromanage as much and can easily replace / refill between levels since the game showers you with money and the game offers a form of XP again with hammers you collect so battles have a point again. Generic toads dragging you down? Here every single one is hilarious and are often just super out there which makes you want to find them. The world map and levels being generic half the time? Every level is now more of a distinct place and levels have themes and stories that you explore across multiple stages like a big train ride or a rad pirate adventure. Paper Mario Color Splash is a wonderful game that needs to come back.

7: Paper Mario The Origami King – The Origami King is a fun delightful adventure that offers an exciting world to explore and sort of brings back partners in excellent fashion with Bobby the bob-omb being the absolute stand out. I thoroughly enjoyed throwing confetti everywhere and whacking things with my hammer to progress through levels, find Toads, and solve the bigger puzzles. The ninja themed amusement park and the Wind Waker-like ocean were absolute highlights, but I enjoyed every stop along the way. Both puzzle-like battle systems remained interesting throughout and the music in the game was wonderfully notable even across all of the Mario RPGs which have been blessed with great music.

6: Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story – Like Partners In Time before it, I sadly don’t really remember Bowser’s Inside Story as I only played it once at launch 15 years ago. I remember really enjoying it though as Bowser is always amazing in the RPGs and I really loved how it brought back Fawful who is definitely my favorite original villain across the RPGs. I definitely have to replay this game at some point.

5: Super Paper Mario – I always loved this game and I was really happy to find when I replayed it two years ago it absolutely holds up. While the platforming and 2D to 3D perspective switching is pretty cool, what I always remember most from this game were the absolute wild story scenarios. There’s an amazing sequence where Mario survives the complete collapse of a world due to a black hole only to be sent to The Under Where (hell) shortly afterwards and another separate sequence where he must escape a prison after being wrongly forced to work off a debt by running on giant hamster wheels. Getting to team up with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser and use their different abilities to navigate the levels and take on Count Bleck and his crew is great fun and there’s even some fun bonus content like the challenge dungeon.

4: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga – This game is awesome! Right from the jump it feels so good to play and the mix of combat, open world exploration, and minigames is spot on and the length of the game is ultimately just right! Mario and Luigi’s moveset feels versatile and exciting (jumping, hammers, magic, and Bros attacks) and being able to regularly counter enemy attacks with the right timing feels satisfying to pull off. I also really like the adventure to the Beanbean Kingdom has a great mix of new and familiar features and introduces us to fun characters like Fawful and Prince Peasley.

3: Paper Mario – The story book presentation in this game is wondrous fun and like Super Mario RPG before it, does an excellent job of expanding Mario’s world in a way that platformers alone can’t. The layout of Toad Town in particular is ingrained within me and I love how the adventure expands in every direction around it from the spooky forest next door, to the complex sewer system below, and even inside a toy box in town. The partner and badge systems introduced here are awesome. I loved gathering a group of friends for Mario (Bombette is my favorite!) and watching my abilities expand over the course of the adventure. Badges are especially cool since you can really customize your abilities exactly as you want and shuffle them around as needed as your adventure unfolds and your badge collection grows.

2: Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door – This is a tremendous, substantial adventure that regularly takes Mario out of his element in awesome ways. Whether it’s navigating the crime ridden Rougeport and discovering its many tucked away secrets, aiming to become number one in the Glitz Pit wrestling-like battle arena, or saving the day in Twilight Town, the adventure is always great fun. I really adore the party Mario assembles here including Goombella, Yoshi, and my favorite character Vivian. I won’t spoil it here especially as the remake is so close, but Luigi’s role in the adventure is legendary and I love how it functions on so many levels. The new theater battle system is awesome as you have to pay attention not just to the enemies, but also the crowd and stage itself to reap benefits and dodge hazards. I also love how there are hidden prompts to add appeal and show off with your base moves which is a fairly unusual addition to JRPG combat.

1: Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars – The very first Mario RPG on the Super Nintendo remains my favorite Mario RPG of all time and one of my favorite games of all time. As a big Square fan, it’s perhaps obvious I’d gravitate toward the most classic of the RPGs, but it’s not just the RPG gameplay that cements it as my favorite. Super Mario RPG offers an excellent mix of RPG combat, unique isometric platforming (that I personally adore), and wild set piece moments, that are tied together to create tremendous pacing. My favorite stretch of the game for example from Moleville to Marrymore offers excellent dungeon, platforming, and puzzles between the Moleville Mines and the glorious Booster Tower, and tons of memorable moments and minigames between the exciting minecart ride, climbing Booster Hill, and crashing the wedding between Peach and Booster and battling the big wedding cake. There are tons of awesome secrets to discover as well for those who want to poke beyond the excellent main quest such as Yoshi’s Island, the Lazy Shell, and the awesome super bosses Jinx and Culex. It’s an awesome, refreshingly short, but dense adventure that holds up fantastically no matter how many times I replay it.

Alright Fami, I’ve shared mine, what is your ranking of the Mario RPGs? :)

We are currently one week out from the release of the Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door Remake and my excitement for Mario RPGs in general is quite high. While I don’t get too excited for graphical remakes as much as others, the quick one two punch of Mario RPG Switch and TTYD back to back has been exciting and has kept me thinking about all of the games again for months now. I recently finally finished the last Mario RPG I hadn’t finished, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, and had a great time with it which meant I could finally rank all of the main RPG series games for the first time in over a decade.

In this thread, let’s share our rankings of the games and discuss all of the awesome Mario RPGs out there. I’ll be sticking with just the main three JRPG series myself, the two versions of Mario RPG, the six Paper Mario games, and the five Mario and Luigi games, but you are welcome to include games like the Golf and Tennis RPGs and the Mario and Rabbids games if you’d like.

I want to hear your thoughts on the individual games specifically so please focus your posts there. Meta/fanbase/direction/etc. discussions are not allowed. Also, do not take shots at other posters over their video game preferences. You do not have to go in depth with your rankings as I will, nor do you have to rank and discuss every game out there, but please try to at least share a thing or two about your ranking so this isn’t just a list thread.

Ok then, let’s have fun! I’ll kick this off with my rankings:

13: Paper Mario Sticker Star – Sticker Star is unfortunately a completely uneven experience. By ditching regular attacks in favor of one use items, removing unique NPCs in favor of generic Toads, and removing XP and level ups, it creates a dreadful situation in the first half of the game where it is best to just run through every level as everything is a resource drain with no benefits. I had many playthroughs fizzle out in Wiggler’s woods (a horrible poisonous swamp), but on my successful run where I made it across the ocean for the first time, I discovered a much better back half where it becomes the game it wanted to be. Fun scenarios like a haunted house and a river raft ride provide a welcome feeling of proper adventure and the normal levels are markedly better than prior ones. With a greatly expanded inventory, more interesting stickers regularly at your disposal, and generous refunds at the end of levels, the back half is enjoyable to play as you efficiently aim to take out enemies.

12: Mario & Luigi Dream Team – On paper, Dream Team looks to be a fairly solid game and plays with ideas and mechanics that all could be interesting, but ultimately I found this game just a bit too dragged out across the board. Momentum through levels feels slow, the enemy variety feels too limited, and the Dream World sections regularly interrupt the pacing of the adventure. Can’t say I was too wild about this one sadly.

11: Mario & Luigi Partners In Time – It’s been nearly 20 years since I played this game so unfortunately I just don’t really remember it. If I remember right, the level design being more restricted compared to Superstar Saga was a bummer and I wasn’t terribly invested in either the babies or the Shroob aliens. I think I do remember liking the final boss fight. I’d be potentially interested in revisiting this one sometime, so I’ll give it the edge over Dream Team.

10: Mario & Luigi Paper Jam – I just played this one a few weeks ago and I largely enjoyed it! Paper Mario offers great shake ups to both traversal and combat, as the three characters demand more wider level design and as his clone copies let him dodge attacks and power up and shift the properties of his normal moves respectively. Paper Mario and the new combat cards refresh the combat so much it somehow manages to largely overcome the bizarre decision to limit enemy encounter formations to usually just a single type per screen. I also really dug how even though there are only a few worlds in the game to explore, they get refreshed over the adventure as paths close and open as cardboard boxes rain down from the sky. The big mark against this one is sadly the story is paper thin and there aren’t really any memorable characters outside of Toadette.

9: Super Mario RPG Switch – I grew up adoring Super Mario RPG and while I did enjoy checking out this remake and had a blast doing so, with distance I just don’t feel it was terribly essential by any means. It’s distinct enough as a remix to warrant ranking separately I feel, but I doubt I’ll ever reach for it as long as I have access to the original game. Elite enemies for example are an awesome addition that keep you on your toes throughout the adventure, but the new combo buffs and other new combat mechanics generally make a fairly breezy game too easy (bosses especially suffer here) as the game wasn’t rebalanced around them. The new mechanics do however shine brightly in the new post game super bosses that put your mastery of the combat system to the test and wonderfully explore new ideas as well. Even though there wasn’t a lot to it, getting a little bit more of one of my all time favorite games decades later still was very cool.

8: Paper Mario Color Splash – Color Splash is Sticker Star 2, but every weakness in that game is a now a huge a strength. One use items that are a pain to manage and battles that are resource drains? Now they are cards that you don’t have to micromanage as much and can easily replace / refill between levels since the game showers you with money and the game offers a form of XP again with hammers you collect so battles have a point again. Generic toads dragging you down? Here every single one is hilarious and are often just super out there which makes you want to find them. The world map and levels being generic half the time? Every level is now more of a distinct place and levels have themes and stories that you explore across multiple stages like a big train ride or a rad pirate adventure. Paper Mario Color Splash is a wonderful game that needs to come back.

7: Paper Mario The Origami King – The Origami King is a fun delightful adventure that offers an exciting world to explore and sort of brings back partners in excellent fashion with Bobby the bob-omb being the absolute stand out. I thoroughly enjoyed throwing confetti everywhere and whacking things with my hammer to progress through levels, find Toads, and solve the bigger puzzles. The ninja themed amusement park and the Wind Waker-like ocean were absolute highlights, but I enjoyed every stop along the way. Both puzzle-like battle systems remained interesting throughout and the music in the game was wonderfully notable even across all of the Mario RPGs which have been blessed with great music.

6: Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story – Like Partners In Time before it, I sadly don’t really remember Bowser’s Inside Story as I only played it once at launch 15 years ago. I remember really enjoying it though as Bowser is always amazing in the RPGs and I really loved how it brought back Fawful who is definitely my favorite original villain across the RPGs. I definitely have to replay this game at some point.

5: Super Paper Mario – I always loved this game and I was really happy to find when I replayed it two years ago it absolutely holds up. While the platforming and 2D to 3D perspective switching is pretty cool, what I always remember most from this game were the absolute wild story scenarios. There’s an amazing sequence where Mario survives the complete collapse of a world due to a black hole only to be sent to The Under Where (hell) shortly afterwards and another separate sequence where he must escape a prison after being wrongly forced to work off a debt by running on giant hamster wheels. Getting to team up with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser and use their different abilities to navigate the levels and take on Count Bleck and his crew is great fun and there’s even some fun bonus content like the challenge dungeon.

4: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga – This game is awesome! Right from the jump it feels so good to play and the mix of combat, open world exploration, and minigames is spot on and the length of the game is ultimately just right! Mario and Luigi’s moveset feels versatile and exciting (jumping, hammers, magic, and Bros attacks) and being able to regularly counter enemy attacks with the right timing feels satisfying to pull off. I also really like the adventure to the Beanbean Kingdom has a great mix of new and familiar features and introduces us to fun characters like Fawful and Prince Peasley.

3: Paper Mario – The story book presentation in this game is wondrous fun and like Super Mario RPG before it, does an excellent job of expanding Mario’s world in a way that platformers alone can’t. The layout of Toad Town in particular is ingrained within me and I love how the adventure expands in every direction around it from the spooky forest next door, to the complex sewer system below, and even inside a toy box in town. The partner and badge systems introduced here are awesome. I loved gathering a group of friends for Mario (Bombette is my favorite!) and watching my abilities expand over the course of the adventure. Badges are especially cool since you can really customize your abilities exactly as you want and shuffle them around as needed as your adventure unfolds and your badge collection grows.

2: Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door – This is a tremendous, substantial adventure that regularly takes Mario out of his element in awesome ways. Whether it’s navigating the crime ridden Rougeport and discovering its many tucked away secrets, aiming to become number one in the Glitz Pit wrestling-like battle arena, or saving the day in Twilight Town, the adventure is always great fun. I really adore the party Mario assembles here including Goombella, Yoshi, and my favorite character Vivian. I won’t spoil it here especially as the remake is so close, but Luigi’s role in the adventure is legendary and I love how it functions on so many levels. The new theater battle system is awesome as you have to pay attention not just to the enemies, but also the crowd and stage itself to reap benefits and dodge hazards. I also love how there are hidden prompts to add appeal and show off with your base moves which is a fairly unusual addition to JRPG combat.

1: Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars – The very first Mario RPG on the Super Nintendo remains my favorite Mario RPG of all time and one of my favorite games of all time. As a big Square fan, it’s perhaps obvious I’d gravitate toward the most classic of the RPGs, but it’s not just the RPG gameplay that cements it as my favorite. Super Mario RPG offers an excellent mix of RPG combat, unique isometric platforming (that I personally adore), and wild set piece moments, that are tied together to create tremendous pacing. My favorite stretch of the game for example from Moleville to Marrymore offers excellent dungeon, platforming, and puzzles between the Moleville Mines and the glorious Booster Tower, and tons of memorable moments and minigames between the exciting minecart ride, climbing Booster Hill, and crashing the wedding between Peach and Booster and battling the big wedding cake. There are tons of awesome secrets to discover as well for those who want to poke beyond the excellent main quest such as Yoshi’s Island, the Lazy Shell, and the awesome super bosses Jinx and Culex. It’s an awesome, refreshingly short, but dense adventure that holds up fantastically no matter how many times I replay it.

Alright Fami, I’ve shared mine, what is your ranking of the Mario RPGs? :)
Huh, I'm surprised that SMRPG remake is ranked so low in comparison to the other Mario RPG games.

It's possible the TTYD remake will change my rankings but for now I'd say...

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Paper Mario
3: The Thousand Year Door
4. Superstar Saga
5. Bowser's Inside Story
6. Partners In Time
7. Super Paper Mario

Haven't played the other RPGs although I have Dream Team in my backlog... for over a decade now! But the first 3 are not just my top 3 favorite Mario RPGs, but some of my favorite games of all time. SMRPG, despite its simplicity in RPG mechanics compared to later entries, has an incredibly brisk pace, memorable dialogue/scenarios, and one of the best soundtracks on the SNES. It was one my earliest and most formative RPG games and the remake just reaffirmed my love for it. The first two Paper Mario games expand the universe of the games significantly and add some really fun mechanics that expand traversal on the map, though I think they occasionally get dragged down in pacing in ways the SMRPG doesn't. Still absolute classics with great music, cozy atmospheres, and TTYD's dialogue and story scenarios might be the overall best in the series. With the additions brought by the remake, there is a good chance TTYD will go above PM64 for me.

The M&L series I am a little more ambivalent about. While on paper their RPG mechanics offer the most depth, I tend to find them limiting with how you usually only have a couple of characters to battle with in each game. I also think they often suffer the most in terms of pacing, adding in lots of tutorials and minigames alongside dungeons that risk overstaying their welcome. But they're still charming and fun games and Superstar Saga has probably the least issues with regards to pacing.

Super Paper Mario I just do not really like. Gameplay is slow, visual style is unappealing, most of the scenarios aren't memorable or interesting, level design is mediocre and at times nonexistent. Music overall is weaker than the first two games though with some memorable tunes here and there. I do really like the villain group and consider Dimentio the best villain in the series. If it gets remastered, I'd be willing to give it another go to see if my thoughts have changed in the 17 years since I've played it.

1. TTYD
2. Paper Mario
3. SMRPG
4. Bowser Inside Story
5. Origami King

Haven't played the rest.

As a general comment I liked all of them even origami king and there is not much difference in my enjoyment.

Except from TTYD which is far above the rest for me

1. Colour Splash
2. Paper Mario 64
3. Origami King
4. Sticker Star

Those are the only ones I've played :[ It's pretty close between 1 and 2.

Can't wait to finally play TTYD next week!

So I'm just gonna be upfront and say that I much prefer the puzzle/adventure genre to RPG, therefore I expect my rankings are going to be very different to most people's. I also didn't get heavily into gaming until the Wii/DS generation, so my play order is going to differ from most people's as well. Just to give you an idea... my first Mario RPG was Sticker Star, so I went into it with no preconceived notions, and most of these games I only later played via Virtual Console releases (or a friend's GameCube, in the case of TTYD). I also haven't played all of them - only played Superstar Saga and Dream Team from the Mario & Luigi series, never played Super Paper Mario, and haven't finished SMRPG (which I have on Wii U VC and should probably go back to at some point, along with a few other stragglers).

I don't remember every game well enough to give exact rankings, so I'm just gonna give ballparks for all of them and some general thoughts. In terms of overall combat gameplay, the Mario & Luigi games are the best due to the heavily involved timing elements, while TOK has the best boss fights of all Mario RPGs by far due to their unique puzzle nature. And as I mentioned, I really like puzzle/adventure games, so in terms of overworld gameplay, I rank "modern" Paper Mario quite highly, followed by Mario & Luigi.

Sticker Star is actually a very solid puzzle/adventure game in my opinion. And it has some of that old-school point and click charm where you have a bunch of iterms in your inventory and have to experiment to figure out which one's the right one for the situation, but not to a frustrating degree. The answers were always telegraphed just enough. I also really liked uncovering all the secret exits. And a particular highlight - the Enigmansion is probably my favorite sequence in any Mario RPG ever, from the atmosphere to the interconnected layout to the setpieces. I expect to be tarred and feathered for this, but I place Sticker Star quite highly.

It might surprise you to learn, then, that I place Color Splash pretty low. It had some really cool and clever scenarios and locales, but a lot of them felt like rehashes of Sticker Star, such as the haunted hotel being an Enigmansion expy. And the battles were just way too tedious; performing any attack took way too much time and way too many clicks, even with the expert mode they gave you or whatever it was called.

My top two Paper Mario games, and probably Mario RPGs in general, are TOK and TTYD. TOK is better on the gameplay front, other than the regular battle system getting quite repetitive, and has a fire soundtrack, but TTYD has by far the best storylines, characters and settings in the franchise. The Rawk Hawk and Doopliss chapters are particular standouts for me. Although I will say, Bowser (and Bowser Jr.) is probably at his best in TOK. The hotspring chapter was wonderful. In comparison, 64 is a lot simpler and less memorable to me, so I place it quite a bit lower.

Both Mario & Luigi games I've played are quite solid. I prefer Dream Team to Superstar Saga, but I wish they pushed the Luigi dream sequences a lot further, narratively speaking. I know you don't play Mario games for the story, but Paper Mario's writing showed that it doesn't have to be so surface level. Delving into Luigi's mind could've offered some fascinating opportunities, such as touching on a potential inferiority complex. Dreamscape would've been the perfect way to explore these ideas via trippy symbolism. Oh well. Superstar Saga was good too, but honestly the parts I remember most about it are the ridiculous difficulty spike in the final dungeon and the absolutely BS final boss fight lol

SMRPG... well like I said, haven't finished it, but I found it kinda middling in most aspects. It did everything well enough, but no single aspect of it excelled for me, like how I could point to with every other game/subseries.

I'm not really an M&L person so here's my list:

Best: TTYD
Amazing: Paper Mario
Great: Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario, Origami King
Good: Mario RPG remake
Running Away from Combat Tier: Sticker Star

Welp, time to share some Unpopular Opinions.

In the last place comes TTYD. I suppose I was oversold on this game, but as I've mentioned on this here forum a few times, I hated its backtracking. I think the worst thing a game can do is waste player's time, and TTYD does it constantly, sometimes even making jokes about it. Sure, once is funny (see EarthBound's password), but when the game is clearly made to be so much longer than it can be, it sucks any enjoyment I could've had from it. Every chapter is a straight line, and the battles aren't fast enough to justify this design choice. The story is merely OK, but I also felt weird about Peach's treatment in this game. Really feels like someone on the team had the hots for her and it comes off a little creepy.

6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. There's not much to say here, I just dislike how the game controls. Controlling both Mario and Luigi is fine, but when it comes to special overworld moves which are used often, you pretty much have to do a fighting game combo to hit a block or some such. Played it like thrice before I finished it, won't replay it.

5. Super Paper Mario is another game that I feel tries to pad itself out too much. It has the same problem as TTYD, which I guess is a bit more justified because 2D level design is, in fact, straight lines. The story and characters are neat, but I also don't vibe with its geometrical design. Another of the game I've tried to replay but can almost never tough it out to the end, which is a shame, as it has some of the weirdest things involving Mario and the gang in the whole series.

4. Paper Mario is the best out of RPG Paper Mario games and it's weird that they knocked it out of the park first try. Each chapter feels different, and every time there's a backtracky chapter, it's usually made in a specific style: the desert has many ways to go, Toy Box is circular, and Flower Fields has a central hub. The story is quite basic, and the battle system is a little too slow (especially at the beginning), but it's a very cozy game.

3. Super Mario RPG/Remake. Now there's a game that has great pacing. Maybe it's even too fast, frankly. Was surprised when I completed the remake in about 10 hours, really thought it would've been 20. really cool battle system, some fantastic tunes. The only things preventing it from being higher on the list are SNES visuals in the original, and somewhat light story. Much like in every early RPG the NPCs are one-liner machines or info boxes who usually say one or two things, and there aren't a lot of them.

2. Origami King. I loved my time with this game. Honestly, new Paper Mario games are up there as some of the funniest games ever made. Tons of memorable locations, great music, amazing visuals. If there's one thing that I really dislike it's the ending. If you've played a Nintendo game you pretty much know what's gonna happen and what the main beef is. Real tired of this stupid trope, Big N.

1. Color Splash. I suppose there's also some value in underselling the game to people. I've not played Sticker Star so the whole "SS2" thing was a bummer because I've heard nothing but bad things. Then I caught the stream of it online and it looked good? The battle system is fast, requiring you to do multiple QTEs, the writing is solid. So I picked it up and had a blast! Technically the game is worse than Origami King, I suppose. The locations in particular can be somewhat bland. But I think what makes it number 1 for me is just that: low expectations going in.
I loved the silly card system and the battles only became boring in one particularly enemy-filled level. This was also the first Paper Mario game that I felt didn't need any editing done. The map system is fast to traverse and even if you need to return to a level, they're fast!
And yes, this game has the same goddamn issue with its ending, but I feel like it's a bit more justified than Origami's weird insistence on
killing off partners in a "sad" scene in the end
I don't care where the series goes next as long as the devs use their resources to craft games that justify their size.

1. Paper Mario
My favourite game of all time. Just replayed it this month (did a 10hp challenge run) and it holds up as well as ever. I could gush about so much with this game, but need to mention the charm - It's off the charts. Everything works together to create such a cosy, earnest yet funny, wholesome, nostalgic game.

2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Brilliant follow up that improves the combat and takes the game into more unique settings that are fresh to the Mario world. I have some minor quibbles and not quite as much nostalgia as the original, but it's a seriously great sequel that deserves the hype imo.

3. Super Paper Mario
Very cool story, themes, atmosphere and writing; average gameplay. I admire a lot about this game, but don't get the urge to replay it much because the combat, level design and 2D/3D gimmick aren't super interesting. Still, some great stuff here. The Underwhere is amazing and I'm so glad we got to see the Mario version of Hell.

4. Paper Mario: The Origami King
On another day I might have this switched with SPM. It's another game with high highs and low lows, but perhaps with lower lows that SPM. Great presentation, some great locations and scenarios, but the gameplay got old really fast for me and still felt held back in story and characters (bosses being stationery as an example). Mid chapter 2 to Chapter 4 is great though, particularly Chapter 3.

5. Super Mario RPG (Remake)
If I had played this back when the original was released, I probably would have this higher. I have a lot of respect for it, can see and appreciate some great stuff in this game (being a blueprint for future games) and had a good time with it, but it does feel a little barebones to me playing it today.

6. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
For some reason the Mario & Luigi series didn't fully click with me as much as it did with others, but I've never been much of a hand-held person so it might be a me problem. BiS was still a good time though and pretty funny. The big-screen bowser battles were great!

7. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
The inferior of the two M&L games I've played, mainly due to the babies and it feeling padded in parts. Again, I still had fun with it though and think the antagonists were pretty cool.

8. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
I don't think much needs to be said about this, but yeah, one of the only Mario games I've played that I consider a 'bad game'. Played it on launch, was massively disappointed, forced myself to finish it, then traded it in. The museum theme was a great track though!

I don't really consider the Mario + Rabbids games to be in the same category, but if I did rank them they'd probably be somewhere in the middle. Really good games. I think I enjoyed the first one more, even though I think the second might be objectively a better game, if that makes any sense? Probably due to it feeling so fresh and a crazy concept. Also, the open hubs in Sparks of Hope sounded cool in theory, but I found them kinda bland and just padded out the game.

Tbh, I never played Colour Splash due to it looking like Sticker Star 2. But I hear it's an improvement in a lot of ways. I might give it a try if it gets re-released someday.

I do like doing a ranking, let's see

12. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Fun idea on paper (heh) but they sucked so much of the charm and life out of Paper Mario, made the battle system annoying with the sticker mechanic, and ultimately strayed too far away from what made Paper Mario fun

11. Paper Mario: Color Splash
A step back in the right direction, at least writing wise. The card battle system still isn't my cup of tea but I did find this one charming enough to carry my interest for a good while

10. Super Paper Mario
Ok this one is great, I just unfortunately never finished it. It was humourous and had a cool 2D/3D perspective flipping gimmick but I got stuck somewhere and moved onto other games. Also was unfortunate enough to get the European launch version that had a game breaking bug in it if you spoke to a certain character that just crashed your game

9. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
My first Mario RPG! It's been a long time since I've played it so my memory is a little fuzzy but I remember having fun teaming up with the babies for this one.

8. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros.
Cool game and really neat seeing Paper Mario team up with regular Mario for this one. It was nice seeing elements from both series cross over into each other here. This one is a bit lower down because it came at a time when I was so fatigued from the Koopalings being the bosses in everything that it was frustrating seeing them in here again

7. Paper Mario: The Origami King
Getting closer to what Paper Mario was, I had a great time with this one. I enjoyed the weird ring arena battle system in this and there was some memorable moments like sailing the seas and the party Shy Guys in the desert town that stood out for me

6. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
This was a fun one for the year of Luigi, with him being one of the main focuses of the game. From what I remember there was cool stuff done by diving into Luigi's dreams, with things like giant Luigi battles iirc

5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Played it fully for the first time when it arrived on NSO, this really set the foundation for the Mario & Luigi series. I had a great time exploring the Bean Bean Kingdom and meeting it's weird and wonderful citizens. It also reminded that Toadsworth exists and should be brought back.... I miss him
Didn't play much of the 3DS remake so idk how much value the Bowser's minions mode adds to it but I prefer the GBA sprite visuals so I lean more towards that version

4. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
My favourite of the Mario & Luigi games, I loved how this one had you control Bowser while Mario and Luigi were inside him, helping him unleash attacks. I think everything came together well here, writing, battle system, etc and it makes for an excellent RPG.
Never played much of the 3DS remake for this one either but again, I prefer how the DS version looks so I lean towards that version as my preference

3. Paper Mario
I first played it when it arrived on NSO and this was a wonderful start for the Paper Mario side of things. Unique characters as party members, a fun aesthetic for the N64, and humourous writing all adds up to a fantastic first entry for the series.

2. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Us Europeans were robbed of this until it eventually hit Wii Virtual Console which is where I first played it, using the SNES controller extension you could get from Club Nintendo at the time 😎
This set the foundation for what I feel a Mario RPG should be. A battle system with bonus damage for timed button presses as well as damage reduction too, as well as characters and races you wouldn't normally see in traditional Mario games. Mallow and Geno still stand out design wise because of how unique they are compared to most Mario characters and that's cool. Also getting Peach and Bowser as playable characters is a really awesome thing too!
The Switch remake is a great visual remake though it does make things easier with unique specials and stuff so I think I prefer the SNES version over it here

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
This takes everything I loved about the original Paper Mario and just makes it better. Leaning a bit more into the paper side of the world, you get some incredible looking bosses as well cool transformations for Mario like the paper plane. On top of that the characters are on top form here, like there's a wrestling bird called Rawk.... I love it. Great set of party members in here with unique abilities and the stage battle system where props and the audience can interfere is such a unique thing. You also get little playable Peach and Bowser sections which are really fun ways to break up the chapters.
I'm really looking forward to this returning on Switch next week and re-experiencing it. Definitely one of my favourite games

13. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
It bad. I could end it right then and there, but like. Sticker star doesn't work on a fundamental level. Mechanically, it's an RPG that punishes you for random encounters. The story is extremely barebones. The best thing this game has going for it is the soundtrack.

12. Paper Mario: Color Splash
See above. It fixes a few small things from Sticker Star but not enough to salvage it. It also made the actual battle system really frustrating, which is worse than Sticker Star.

11. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Take the least interesting elements of Paper Mario and the least fun elements of M&L and you get this game. A bland, by the numbers game that could have been so much more. It made M&L boring, the M&L series' tendency for overly complicated attacks that whiff easily is in full force here, the story is so by the book that it barely eked out any laughter from me and the Paper Mario elements were a wasted flavour.

10. Paper Mario: the Origami King
Origami King is a game just short of being good, but it's main combat system makes it fall flat on its face. The circular battle system gets old fast. Unlike Color Splash and Sticker Star though, it at least has a core gameplay loop; doing random encounters gets you money and money lets you both buy stronger combat items and unlock neat things and unlike Sticker Star and Color Splash, combat items don't just drop from everything so buying them feels impactful. Also, it's genuinely kinda funny at times. Nothing too impressive but the first Mario RPG on the list that's passable.

9. The M&L 3DS remakes
These didn't need to exist and they make the original games look better by comparison. Bowsers Inside Story DX killed Alpha Dream and it was entirely unnecessary since BIS is a DS Game. Superstar Saga DX feels like it was painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa; the core identity of the game was stripped out to make it seem more fitting in with the overall Mario look. It's hard to avoid meta discussions when talking about these games, but these games are the main reason that M&L is dead. Best avoided compared to the originals.

Ok, now for the good ones:

8. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the seven stars
A worthy start to the RPG subgenre of Mario games. The SNES and Switch version are almost interchangeable, but I personally have a softer spot for the SNES versions' sometimes off-kilter translation thanks to the legendary Ted Woolsey. Still, it's hard to go wrong with either here. Very traditional RPG compared to the others on this list; it's a bit shocking how interactive Mario RPGs are, and this game kinda sets the baseline for that

7. Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story
Really, all the core M&L games (up to Paper Jam) are close. Bowsers Inside Story is the worst one, but that's the worst of a gold star. The main problem BIS has is that it feels... a tad unnecessary? It's just a bit less funny than the other M&L games, just a bit less domineering. It's where the series infamy for overly complicated move inputs kinda started. Except for Fawful. This is the game where he shines and my god, he's awesome.

6. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
The odd middle child of the M&L series. Shroobs are neat, the 4-character setup is cool. It switched up things a bit from Superstar Saga, but ultimately this is a very "safe" game. Nothing to complain about really. The panic music for this game lives rent-free in my head, it's really good.

5. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
I'd call this one mainly a 3DS showcase title; pretty much all 3DS capabilities get used at least once except for like, the camera, but that aside - this game is genuinely the only Mario RPG that I'd ascribe the moniker "hard" to. It's genuinely probably the most difficult JRPG I've ever played and I say that with praise. Very interactive battle system, very good enemy patterns and I never feel like dying was just me getting bullshitted.

4. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
It's weird. It's an off-kilter Mario game in tone. Lots of familiar things from the games, but with a weird spin on it. Some pretty deep cut references to other Mario spinoffs are in this game. Very memorable, deeply funny and it showed the world that the M&L series would be a mainstay just by being well... Good.

3. Paper Mario 64
It's good. It shows that a princess kidnapping plot can work in a Mario RPG (considering how many Mario RPGs tend to subvert this one, it's worth a mention). It also started the tradition of the Mario RPGs to try and flesh out the Mushroom Kingdom specifically and it's iteration of Toad Town is probably still my favourite in the franchise. It's got a simpler battle system to learn than anything else on the list, but the lower numbers means it's very accessible and being simple doesn't mean it has no depth.

2. Super Paper Mario
A bit... out there, especially for Mario RPGs, but the 2.5D platformer strikes the right chord in both being funny and adding RPG mechanics to Mario. There's loads of silly premises hidden in this game and the story it tries to tell is very good, even if it's not really a typical Mario story. Probably the easiest of all games on this list since the RPG mechanics kinda break the game, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Occasionally flips with Paper Mario 64 in position on my favorites list. Which is mainly because these two games are very similar. I'd hesitate to called TTYD "64, but better", but gameplay wise, that's what it is. Right now, TTYD edges it out for its stronger late-game chapters. Deeply entertaining.

For what it counts, anything from Superstar Saga onwards I'd consider to be part of the "must-play" Mario canon. They're all solid games.

For the Mario RPGs that I have played, my rankings would be:
1. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
2. Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
5. Paper Mario 64
6. Super Mario RPG

I just love the tactile sensation of battling in the M&L games, where you're gaining experience not only in terms of numbers but in terms of getting to know the enemies' attack patterns, allowing you to learn the optimal time to defend and/or dodge. Partners In Time however felt a somewhat bloated, and the added functions for babies made overworld exploration somewhat of a slog.

Which is why I put TTYD above Partners in Time. TTYD just has great characters and writing, so even though I don't enjoy its battle system as much, that was enough to give it the edge.

Super Mario RPG is fine. It was the one that started it all, the progenitor of the action commands, and I enjoy it a lot whenever I play it. But the others have just improved on it since.

1. Paper Mario
2. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
3. Super Paper Mario
4. Paper Mario: TTYD
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
7. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
8. Paper Mario Sticker Star/The Rest

The first paper Mario and Mario and Luigi are far and away the best, the rest are just trying to reach those heights again. SMRPG is a good prototype. I know people like Bowser’s Inside story but it really relegates Mario and Luigi to side roles and Fawful is a horribly written character. Super Paper Mario deserves a sequel, it’s a great and creative game.

Last edited:
01. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
02. Super Paper Mario
03. Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story
04. Mario & Luigi Partners In Time
05. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
06. Paper Mario
07. Mario & Luigi Dream Team
08. Mario & Luigi Paper Jam
09. Super Mario RPG Switch
10. Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Star
11. Paper Mario The Origami King
12. Paper Mario Color Splash
13. Paper Mario Sticker Star

bold = i like the game.

The Great
1- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
2- Paper Mario
3- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
4- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

The Good
5- Super Mario RPG
6- Paper Mario: The Origami King
7- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
8- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
9- Super Paper Mario

The Forgettable
10- Paper Mario: Color Splash

The Ugly
11- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
12- Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Leaving out games that I haven't played enough to assess fairly...

13. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
It has some good ideas but on the whole I found it to be pretty bland. I somewhat agree with the second half being better but I don't think they ever manage to make up for the game's other shortcomings. Makes it very easy to rank at the very bottom for me.

12. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
In theory, I like the M&L combat system with four controllable characters. In practice it just made for a game that felt a bit too messy with battles becoming longer and longer the further you get into the game. The big focus on the babies also didn't really help, it's just not that interesting from a story/character perspective.

11. Paper Mario: Color Splash
I actually like Color Splash a lot outside of the battles. It looks and sounds great, has the typically witty writing the series is known for and manages to have a very nice story progression. My issues with it really begin and end with the combat system which could have been an all-time great if they had made it more like Baten Kaitos/Slay the Spire. But the way it's set up it is an UX nightmare. So close.

10. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
I feel like this one really only nails the theming and is otherwise a big step back in almost every other area from the original. The changes in the combat system (first and foremost separate HP for partners) kinda trivialize the vast majority of battles, the level design isn't as tight and ripe with backtracking, most of the scenarios that try to go for something more unique are mechanically uninteresting and the music wasn't as memorable to me. I like a lot about it conceptualy but the execution just wasn't there.

9. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Looks and sounds great with a fun new world and story hook but ends up falling off around the halfway point. It's mainly dragged down by its heavy tutorializing which completely ruins the pacing and makes it feel twice as long as it should have been. If it weren't for that I think I'd have enjoyed it much more.

8. Super Paper Mario
I think I cherish the memory of it more than the actual game, which I haven't touched in years. It just felt extremely creative and trippy at the time and does a decent enough job combining the very disparate genres. Still my favourite when it comes to story and characters. Gave us the best meme.

7. Paper Mario: The Origami King
An audiovisual treat with some of my favourite scenarios and perhaps the strongest world design. The standard combat system stays sufficiently challenging throughout though I do wish there were better rewards. I'm not an RPG purist but at times it feels like you're being punished for getting into fights. A more robust badge system could have alleviated those issues. The bosses are pretty great though by the end I was over them being based on inanimate objects and devoid of character.

A game that I really enjoyed when I played it but have cooled on since. Bowser is very fun in this and central mechanic makes for some cool moments but it's a bit overdone and can be tedious at times.

5. Super Mario RPG
I'm counting the original and the remake as the same here though I do feel like the remake wasn't as good as it could have been (still enjoyed it though). Very much an "all killer, no filler" experience which means that I'm never bored but it's also lacking in quieter moments that I enjoy in RPGs. Compared to its successors it also feels a bit basic but that's to be expected. Stellar soundtrack, obviously.

4. Mario Tennis (GB)
This game rules. Just a great distillation of tennis in an RPG package and still impressive for the hardware it's running on.

3. Mario Tennis: Power Tour / Mario Power Tennis
Takes the predecessor and turns everything up to 11. Great mechanics, music and mini-games with vibes of Golden Sun. I think it might be my favourite sports game period.

2. Superstar Saga
Just like with PM they kinda nailed it on the first try and everything that followed it never really managed to reach the heights of the first entry. Loveable cast, great setting, banging music and the combat system is just engaging enough to not feel like you're going through the motions but also not too overwhelming like in the later entries.

1. Paper Mario
This one feels like it hits the best balance of what I want in these games. Great writing, characters, level design and pacing with an almost perfect difficulty curve. I could replay it over and over again.

1. Paper Mario TTYD
2.SuperMarioRpg(Both switch and OG)
3.PaperMario
4.Mario&Luigi SuperstarSaga
5.SuperPaperMario
6.Mario & Rabbids Sparks of Hope
7.M&L Bowser's Inside Story
8.Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
9.M&L Parteners in Time
10.PaperMario TOK
11.M&L Dream Team

12&13 Color Splash & Paper Jam

Never played Color Splash or Paper Jam because Sticker Star just burned me so hard, but from all acounts I'm sure I'd like em better since I hear CS has really fun writing and PJ, despite getting completely gutting all original characters that would have made this crossover fun, is still an RPG so I think mechanically at least I'd enjoy it.

14. PaperMarioStickerStar

I do also really like MarioGolf GBC but despite its light RPG elements I view it more as a sports game than an RPG

Also as I got older I find it interesting how my perspective has changed. MarioRPG was always at the top of my list' and while I still find it to be a verry special game to me, I find the first two PM games stick with me more nowadays and are I think a bit better paced. Honestly Id say PM1 and SMRPG could probably be swaped on my list but the Remake pushed it just a bit over at the moment.

My list probably starts out pretty standard, but might be different as it goes lower...

1. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Typically, my number one spot is a tie between this and the next one, but they tend to move back and forth between my favorites. M&L has my favorite battle system out of all the RPGs: I love the way it can turn enemy attacks into puzzles to find out how to dodge and/or counterattack. The world and characters of this game are so fun, and I love the sense of exploration some of the areas can achieve.
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • The expected choice, but what can you say? While I think the battle system is a tad weaker than M&L, I do think the badges make up that difference and then some. Mixing and matching badges for different builds is some of the most fun I've had in Mario RPGs to date. On top of that, you have a great cast of partner characters, some interesting settings, great music, and a pretty decent story and villains. My only real gripe is a lot of the levels end up being a series of hallways... not enough to ruin my experience, but it does become noticeable on repeat playthroughs.
3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • All the fun of the Mario & Luigi games, plus Bowser is there! Fighting as Bowser is tons of fun. I love how they bring back Fawful to be the main antagonist this time around, it is a weird bit of continuity that Mario games tend to shy away from. I'm not a huge fan of the "Inside Bowser" 2D Segments, but they are usually fine and sometimes the ways you can change stuff inside Bowser by doing things in the overworld are neat. A very solid experience.
4. Super Paper Mario
  • A very fun experience. Though it doesn't have as many RPG elements as previous Paper Mario games, it does have a lot of personality and sense of self. A great story with fun characters, great music, an interesting gameplay mechanic, and plenty of secrets to find. Don't have much to say other than... I like it.
5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  • A lot of people take digs at this one as one of the worse Mario & Luigi games and I... kind of get it? I have my issues with this game, sure, but I think they really nailed the vibe of this game. A bleak, alien invasion that Mario and Luigi (and Mario and Luigi as babies) needs to stop. I don't really like battling with the babies, but the gameplay is still the fun puzzle it was in Superstar Saga. In fact, most of what I like about Superstar Saga is here. The cast is probably a bit weaker, but I really love the Shroobs as antagonists, so I think it makes up for it. It should have gotten a chance as a remake like the others...
6. Paper Mario
  • The original Paper Mario does still have most of what I would like in terms of gameplay in TTYD, but... weaker. And that is to be expected, as it was the first Paper Mario. Badges are there but you can't equip as many of them. Action commands are a bit clunkier, but still there. Partners are there and still great. The story is much more generic and the areas are as well. I'm really not big on the music either. But it's fun to play even now! The battle system is still great and the areas honestly feel better designed in terms of layout and exploration than TTYD.
7. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars/Super Mario RPG
  • I love Super Mario RPG, but for some reason I don't really like playing it. I don't even know what it is, I couldn't tell you. I love classic turn-based RPGs (I'm a Dragon Quest fan if that tells you anything). It's not like this game doesn't have action commands or anything. Maybe it's slower paced than the others? But I'm not even sure if that's true. In any case, I love the world and characters of this game, and the music is great. I think if perhaps I enjoyed playing it more, it would be higher on the list.
8. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Dream Team is fine. It is a solid Mario & Luigi experience that follows in the footsteps of Bowser's Inside Story... which is to say, it keeps the aspect of Bowser's Inside Story that I did not care for (2D sections) without the part that made it so cool (playing as Bowser). However, I don't think it is bad and I had fun with it. The story is a bit generic, and Antasma did not wow me as a villain. The music though... dang does this game have some good music.
9. Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • A fun experience with well designed areas and puzzles, some great music, and good visuals... that I don't really care for. I think it was a step in the right direction for the series, but it fell a bit short. I actually think the battle system is fun and compelling, but once you've fought one battle... they're all the same and it usually feels like there is no incentive to do so. I think adding partners or items or badges that could attack in different formations around the ring other than line or square would have helped give the rings more versatility in how you use them. I did like the boss fights for the most part. The cast I found to be forgettable, and I personally despise the decision to make the main bosses of each area just... objects. Like yes, it was commendable that you managed to give so much personality to a tin of colored pencils, but can you imagine how much better that would have been if they had also been able to give that tin of colored pencils an actual character design? I do think the formula for this kind of Paper Mario can work, but it really does need tweaking.
10. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
  • A bland game. Unfortunately. I wanted to like this one, but I really did not enjoy it. There's no characters other than the main cast, and even the music did not hook me the same way as previous games in the series did. The battle system did try to do something fun, and I had a good time experimenting with it, but it wasn't enough to redeem the game for me unfortunately.
11. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Predictable placement, but it really doesn't have much to offer. Well, to start with the goods, I think the soundtrack is great. Beyond that... I think its pretty barebones. There are some fun and memorable moments, and I do think the battle system with stickers could have been good with some adjustments, but it is not an experience I am planning to return to any time soon.

Honorable mention to Paper Mario: Color Splash. I have not played it. I might one day, though. I'd expect it to go somewhere near Origami King on this list just from impressions I've gotten.

1. Paper Mario
2. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Paper Mario: The Origami King
5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
6. Super Mario RPG (both Switch and SNES)
7. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
8. Super Paper Mario
9. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
10. Paper Mario: Color Splash
11. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
12. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

The top half is pretty well cemented in my head (I owe BIS a replay at some point, tbh). The lower half could probably change a lot depending on my mood.

I think Paper Mario's stronger level design, music, and aesthetic puts it above the others for me, but the top 3 are all pretty close.

I haven't actually completed that many... so I'm only including the ones I've completed!

1. Paper Mario: Color Splash — you must think I've lost my mind! Nope, Chuck Testa I just love it. I understand why some people find it annoying, and don't like that you usually have to fail a boss fight once before you figure out what you need to beat them... but that kinda works for me, tbh! It makes the threat more interesting. You can't brute force them. You have to understand them before you can win. I just... I just like it...

2. Paper Mario: The Origami King — Still fun, and I enjoy the world, just... less effective than Color Splash for me in many senses. The bosses are cool, and I like that the world is expansive. Plus the dash of spooky shit is primo. The jokes, locations, and gameplay just hit a lot harder in Color Splash to me.

3. Super Mario RPG (Switch) — Pretty good, glad I played it! I can see why this might have had some very intense staying power if I played it as a kid on SNES. But, it does kind of fall into some of the more boring pockets of story tropes. It has great fun with them! But the driving motivations of Color Splash and Origami King are much more interesting to me.

I'm excited to get through the Thousand-Year Door and see where it lands! and I should probably get my Wii U to stop being weird so I can go back to Super Paper Mario, too. Not to mention the first... and several Mario Luigis...

1. Paper Mario TTYD
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Mario and Luigi Dream Team
4. Paper Mario 64
5. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
6. Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
7. Super Mario RPG
8. Mario and Luigi Partners in Time

POWER GAP

9. Mario and Luigi Paper Jam
10. Paper Mario The Origami King
11. Paper Mario Color Splash
12. Paper Mario Sticker Star

Super Paper Mario and TTYD sometimes switch spots, as do Superstar Saga and Inside Story

I haven’t the SMRPG remake, and the only Mario & Luigi games I’ve played are Superstar Saga and Bowser’s Inside Story. I’ve only played a couple hours of Super Paper Mario, so I don’t feel like I can properly judge it, although based on what I did play it would probably be quite low on the list. With that out of the way…

8. Sticker Star
No surprise here. I played a few hours of this when it first came out and dropped it pretty quickly because I wasn’t having any fun and had no idea what to do half the time. Not much else to say that hasn’t already been said.

7. Superstar Saga
I’ve started this one several times, but I only finished it for the first time a couple years ago. It’s hard to pinpoint what exactly causes me to lose interest, but it’s always just felt a bit…bleh to me. The battles tend to drag on, the limited number of GBA buttons make performing all the different overworld actions a bit of a pain, the areas are kinda bland, the story leaves no impression, and it just gets repetitive after a while. There are a lot of good elements here for sure in the spritework, the pacing, and the exploration, but overall I find I’d just rather play any of the higher-ranked games before this one.

6. The Thousand-Year Door
The badge system here does represent the best customization the series has seen, and there are some creative scenarios, but overall I’ve always found this one a bit off. The visuals lack the simple charm of the first Paper Mario but are also lacking the full papercraft aesthetic of later games, so it just looks pretty unappealing to me. The Peach subplot sucks, Luigi comes across as rather unlikeable, Mario is now the standard protagonist of a harem anime where he’s devoid of personality yet every woman he comes across fawns over him for some reason, the X-Nauts are whatever. Worst is the backtracking and padding, which really makes many of the chapters a chore to play through. The remake seems like it’ll fix some of these problems so it may cause the game to rise in a bit in the rankings if I get around to trying it.

5. Color Splash
I was wary after the disappointment of Sticker Star, but I gave this one a shot after hearing good things and I’m glad I did. While it still has some issues holding it back - sorting through all your cards in battle can be a drag, occasionally the progression is still a little obtuse, and the Roshambo Temples are pretty weak as far as side content goes - overall the game won me back over to Paper Mario. The music, visuals, and writing were all a huge step up from previous games; for the first time since Super Mario RPG I was actually taking notice of the music, and replaying this a few months ago really cemented that this game had me laughing more in the first hour than the previous Mario RPG’s do across their entire runtime. I even appreciated the battles more in a replay, with the wide range of attacks and the delightful and hilarious spectacle of the Thing abilities keeping things interesting. Flawed, but definitely a fun game.

4. Paper Mario
This was the first Mario RPG I played, so I’ll always have a fondness for it. It’s got an undeniable storybook charm permeating every aspect, and it’s nice to see the Mushroom Kingdom fleshed out into a cohesive world. Revisiting it did lower it slightly in my estimation as the battles and exploration do feel a bit basic and plodding at times, but still overall a very solid and pleasant game.

3. Super Mario RPG
Just an all-around fun game. Incredibly well-paced and full of variety, establishing a great foundation which the Mario RPG’s have been working off of ever since, and has its own quirky, off-beat charm that has never quite returned in the same way. This is also still the only one where we get a battle party with more than two characters at a time, something I’d really like to see brought back. My only significant quibble is that the isometric platforming can be frustrating at times. But still a very enjoyable experience throughout.

2. Bowser’s Inside Story
The dual setup, alternating between Bowser and the brothers, really helps this one to stay fresh throughout its entire runtime. Just like Mario RPG, this is an extremely well-paced adventure that doesn’t waste any time and is always surprising and throwing new things at you. It slightly edges out RPG for me just because I find the exploration and platforming a little stronger in this one.

1. The Origami King
After playing Color Splash, I felt that if they just ironed out some of the kinks and filled out the story a bit more, they could make something truly fantastic, and they delivered with Origami King. The whole timed hits battle system is all right but I’ve never really been in love with it, so I was very down to try something new with this one, and I really enjoyed the unique ring battle system, especially in the boss battles. I love the unabashed weirdness of this game - fighting slight variations of Mario enemies has kinda lost its luster, but making a stapler or colored pencils into a legitimate threat is something I’ve never experienced in another game and probably never will again. It’s visually stunning, the soundtrack is consistently fantastic, and the writing is hilarious while still leaving room for genuine moments. It’s not perfect - I do still feel there’s a lot more they could mine from the Mario setting by bringing in more existing characters, places, and races, and I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing more well-developed partner characters return - but overall I really loved it.

Last edited:
I have played a grand total of 4 Mario RPG games - all were at least good but Origami King really hit all the right notes for me. The battles aren't everyone's cup of tea but as a puzzle game fan they were the best they've ever been in the series for me.

1. Origami King
2. Paper Mario
3. Colour Splash
4. Super Mario RPG (SNES)

I'll eventually play SPM, SS and the TTYD remake but there are too many games right now.

from what I've played, it'd probably be:

1.Paper Mario 64
2. Mario RPG
3. Superstar Saga
4. Partners in Time

I've got a soft spot for Partners in Time, but I also can't honestly argue that it's better than any of the other 3. I could kinda go back on forth on whether I like SMRPG or Superstar Sage more, but the one constant has been that the original Paper Mario just has a certain magic about it that keeps it firmly at the top

Looking forward to starting TTYD next week seeing as the general consensus regards it so highly

The music, visuals, and writing were all a huge step up from previous games; for the first time since Super Mario RPG I was actually taking notice of the music
oh my god how did I forget to mention the MUSIC

COLOR SPLASH'S MUSIC IS AMAZING

possibly the best Mario RPG music of all, it goes so hard

Top tier:
1. Thousand Year Door

Great tier:
2. Paper Mario
3. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
4. Super Paper Mario

Good tier:
5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Bad tier:
7. Paper Mario: Color Splash

Awful tier:
8. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

That's all I've played. I prefer the aesthetic, writing, and timing mechanics of the first two Paper Mario games to Mario & Luigi, though I do enjoy the world and RPG customization elements of M&L a lot. TTYD is the crown jewel of course, a game bursting with creativity at every stop. Super has really fun puzzles and writing on-par with tTYD but is kinda a bit too easy and simple in terms of gameplay otherwise. SMRPG is a solid SNES RPG that feels like a precursor to both series. Sticker Star is a game so fundamentally flawed in its design that I can't believe Nintendo made it. Color Splash is a game that fixes about half of its flaws but still manages to be a tedious slog for most of its runtime because the remaining 50% of unfixed issues are still there. Also neither are really RPGs, they're basically point-and-click adventure games wearing a disguise that looks like RPGs, but I'm including them anyways.

I haven't played as many as others here mostly because of a general disinterest I have for the Mario & Luigi games (which I'll elaborate on...):

1.) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Shamefully I have to start by admitting that I've never even finished the Mario RPG that I would claim as my favorite (who am I? A Persona fan?). I remember seeing screenshots of this game in magazines shortly after I finished the original game on N64. I was blown away by how crisp everything looked, and I was really eager to play around with the new mechanics that seemed to make the exploration more engaging. From the moment I first played the game (at a demo kiosk in a Sam's Club, of all places), I knew that my expectations were going to be met. And they were! The only reason I never finished the game is because I rented it from Blockbuster (RIP), got basically to the end of the game, and then never bought it because the idea of buying a game I only had like an hour left of always paled in comparison to trying something new. I can't wait to right this wrong in a week!

2.) Paper Mario - Super Mario RPG was a big deal for my brother. Paper Mario occupies that space for me. The paper aesthetic and the simple (but satisfying) combat were really welcoming to someone who in their youth was generally terrified of more meaty RPG experiences. I fell in love with the partners and never tired once of the many different inputs needed to successfully perform timed hits. I replayed this game two years ago on the Switch when my daughter was born and found that it held up beautifully. There's not really anything I would change about it, honestly, which is probably why TTYD stands at the top of my list.

3.) Super Mario RPG (Switch) - The Switch remake made me realize that I am actually quite nostalgic for this little game. All of the sound effects were tailor made to tingle every nostalgic bone in my body, and the CGI cutscenes weren't bad, either. Was it perhaps too easy? Perhaps. It was kind of nice to be able to breeze through an RPG in 10 hours over the holidays, though.

4.) Super Mario RPG (Vanilla) - It was good! I just don't think I would ever go back to this after playing the remake.

5.) Origami King - I was incredibly down on this game when it was first revealed because after watching the trailer a couple of times I realized that it wasn't the traditional RPG leaks had teased. Partners were back, but they looked pretty generic. Turn-based combat was being muddled with another odd-looking diversion in the rotation puzzles. Experience points...just not even a thing. But! When the game launched, I loved it! The partners weren't necessarily to the standards of my favorite games but were lovable in their own respect, especially Bobby. The combat, while divisive, was really fun for me and I never tired of it like I heard others did. Experience points...I didn't miss! You don't need them.

6.) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Like Mario RPG, this is a quaint little RPG that barely ever tests a player's strategic mettle. That's fine! I did find this game a little less enjoyable overall because at some point I was just spamming the same moves over and over again. There's also just a lot of combat, and I was kind of over it by the time the final dungeon came around. Still, I loved the writing and the pixel art is peak.

7.) Super Paper Mario - I don't remember as much about this game, but I know that it was one of my first purchases for my Wii and that I plowed through it in a week over summer break. There is a lot of potential in a 2D/3D hybrid platformer. I'm not sure the Paper Mario franchise is the place for it, but it's not...not the place for it. I didn't realize this game was divisive until I was older, and I'm still surprised by that fact.

Everything Else - I dabbled in many, many Mario & Luigi games and always get bored after a couple of hours. The last one I tried was Paper Jam, and the Paper Macho battles made me hard quit every time I tried to play them. Sticker Star and Color Splash came out at times when I didn't really care for Nintendo's output, so I don't have any experience with them. Maybe that's for the best? I feel like I would like them much more than the majority of users because I don't have any issues with how Origami King shook out.

I don't think of the later Paper Marios as RPGs at all. Super is iffy, but I guess I'll include it? Also I never touched Sparks of Hope, so leaving that one off. From what I've heard it'd probably rank the lowest of the Rabbids games.

Off the cuff:

11. Paper Jam
Forgettable. (I can't say anything else about it because I literally don't remember.)

10. Partners in Time
Waste of both a time travel plot and an alien invasion plot, jerks you around the entire game with constant setbacks and lack of progress, who thought teaming up with babies was cool, completely disconnected world is a disappointment.

9. Dream Team
This is probably a more tedious experience than some (any of the?) other ones even though it also has more going for it. Infamously bloated, and I don't think the 2D sections in these games have ever been good. This one has a lot of that.

8. Super Mario RPG
The combat comes off as a simplistic prototype of Paper Mario without the variety of action commands or the badges for interesting builds and strategies. Also isometric platforming is the devil. The original version is so ugly it's hard to even tell what you're looking at. Characters and settings don't feel like they belong in a Mario game, but in a more generic way than the later deliberately weird ones. Why is there a town of just moles? Not Monty Moles, just moles. So fast-paced that almost nothing gets the build-up to be memorable.

7. Super Paper Mario
Utterly neutral game, great and awful in perfect balance. Bad art style and a boring slog of gameplay and level design, carried by great music and a completely insane fanfiction story where Mario is a prophesized hero who has to save all worlds from destruction due to some kind of star-crossed lovers situation that is tangentially relevant to the plot at best despite involving two of the most important characters.

6. Kingdom Battle
I think I probably played this one the least of these. I definitely preferred DK Adventure and didn't really have the interest to go back to it after playing that one, but it was okay.

5. Bowser's Inside Story
Wild premise. Uneven but pretty fun. The world is rather patchwork and the Mario sections feel kind of tacked on though, especially after you get the ability to leave Bowser. Which is cool with how it gives you an entirely different moveset to explore the overworld with, but also highlights that something just feels tired or missing about every single one of these after the first one... I did however finish both this and Superstar Saga multiple times, and I've never seen any of the other M&Ls all the way through once, so that has to count for something.

4. Superstar Saga
This is reliant mostly on the interesting and subversive nature of its narrative, which none of the sequels really bothered to replicate at all. Still, I'd say the writing in general does not ever reach Paper Mario's level despite the great flexibility of the plot. And some elements of the writing in Mario & Luigi have definitely aged poorly, Fawful feels like such a relic nowadays, he was so funny when I was 12... Also has probably the best worldbuilding in a non-Paper Mario, it helps that the Beanbean Kingdom is a single connected setting. The jump and hammer combat where you need to dodge or counter everything is a really fun way of doing a Mario RPG, but it seems like there's just not much strategy to combat in any Mario & Luigi game beyond spamming the current best Bros. Attack you have, and your "build" is limited to a handful of very basic equipment slots that feel like an afterthought. Even Super Mario RPG at least had party members to choose from.

3. Donkey Kong Adventure
You don't play as Mario at all, but whatever, I'm counting it. No real story to be had but the combat is fun when it's not glitching out or crashing at the end of a ten minute battle. Also this is for some reason far and away the best playable Donkey Kong in any game, he rules.

2. The Thousand-Year Door
Better combat and more memorable settings and characters than the first one, but aside from a faster start (having to play the entire prologue without action commands is terrible), the pacing and level design are a lot worse. The Glitz Pit is so much less replayable than anything in the N64 game.

1. Paper Mario
Just generally really well-rounded. Soundtrack can be a little annoying sometimes, though I also don't think any of them were all that amazing up until Super Paper Mario, but it's better than most of the others at everything else. It's not really the best at anything except for maybe level design, but you don't have to be the best if you're good at everything. Like the hero in a Dragon Quest game.

It's been a long time since I actually played through any of these, but Mario RPGs were a massive part of my childhood and my direct entry to RPGs as a whole, so I'm going to comment on each as best as I can with memory (and have a healthy dash of nostalgia bonuses in here)

Paper Mario The Origami King – Didn't play.

Paper Mario Color Splash – I think I played through Chapter 1 of this and was like "Okay." Never came back. All I have to say.

Paper Mario Sticker Star – I got this game for Christmas 2012 and this was my first time using 3DS in a while. It quickly came to the point where I was playing this game exclusively next to the computer so I could have a walkthrough up to follow it to a T. I believe I also forgot about it the moment after beating it, I never popped it in the 3DS again.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam – I bought this when it was pretty new. This is also the only M&L game I never finished (not counting the remasters, never played). So much of the soul and character of the series seemed missing here. I estimate I was half way through it and then just kinda fizzled out of playing it. That said, it can go above Sticker Star, as I at least recall not needing to be guide-glued just to enjoy it!

Super Mario RPG Switch – So this is actually my first "real" experience with SMRPG. As I said in the RPG thread, I think this actually being the "latest" Mario RPG I played brought it down a bit for me, and I don't have the nostalgia attachment as I wasn't around for the SNES era haha. I do really like getting to see Mario with a bit more of a colorful character, and there's some fun dialogue and scenes in the game, but it does fall farther down my list for being kinda basic and short (sorry!)

Mario & Luigi Partners In Time – I found a used copy of this game at an EBGames in 2008 when I was 10... Which was a bit surprising as even at that point I remember the game being considered uncommon. It also costed $10 more than a brand new DS game though. Anyway, I bought it because of how much I loved Superstar Saga. I did play this game through to the end, but I also remember it being the only M&L game I beat and moved on from. I also remember it being really, really damn hard lol.

Mario & Luigi Dream Team – I bought this game on release day! I know it's a divisive title, but I actually liked it a lot and played through it twice (Hard mode playthrough). This game has a fantastic soundtrack and visuals, and I do remember some good moments in the story. The excessive tutorials do keep it higher up my list though.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga – I later purchased this game on Wii U as a teen, but this is where I come forth admitting our family PC had emulators installed by my dad on it, and this game was on there (I never actually owned a GBA, DS was my first Nintendo handheld). I was very excited to find there existed another Mario RPG series that wasn't Paper Mario, and this was a solid start to the M&L games. I have probably played through this game 3 times, it's really good. Also, I was a "I like Luigi more" kid (weren't we all...?), so playing a Mario RPG with Luigi having a huge role was awesome to me back then. I'd make him leader whenever possible too!

Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story – I followed this game extensively from its reveal all the way to its release! Always tuning into the Nintendo Channel on Wii to see new trailers and stuff, and I got it for Christmas 2009. It's probably one of my defining childhood DS games, and I think I played through it around 4, maybe 5 times. So many good moments, Bowser is so cool in this game. And that final boss theme? Oh man, I never heard anything like it at the time! The best M&L game!

Paper Mario – Technically this is where my Mario RPG journey began. I was given an N64 by my uncle with all his games when I was like 5. Paper Mario was one of them. I really can't remember playing it here all that much though, prob a bit too advanced for a kid that young lol. I would later buy this game again on Wii Virtual Console when I was about 10 and give it a full proper playthrough there. Even though it's been so long since I played this, I could probably name off the events of every chapter in order and this is probably the best rendition of "Bowser is the villain" Mario game there is.

Super Paper Mario – This was the first (non-Wii Sports) game I got with my Wii for my 9th birthday in 2007. I myself did not mind the gameplay shift at all. This may be the Mario RPG I played through the most times, I'm gonna guess 8 or more! The story and characters in this game were so amazing to me back then (I would tell my mom about it!), a Mario game with such immense stakes and such an epic story is still really cool to me today. As a kid, the challenge was probably okay, though I feel the last time I played through this (which was probably 10 years ago maybe?) I completely utterly stomped the game, it is just way too easy to win.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door – This is it, a game that I can always place in my top 3 games of all time. I got it for Christmas 2004 when I was 6. I remember this taking me a very long time to get through, but being so blown away at the sheer scope of an adventure like this in a video game. Like most people, Chapter 3, 4 and 6 stick in my mind pretty hard, but especially so when it was at a time when I was getting into video games that actually had, well, writing. Even removing the nostalgia factor from it, it's still a really fantastic game. The twists are so genuinely good, the soundtrack is insanely memorable, the gameplay, while a little bustable if you master the B button counter, is very engaging, especially for RPG rookies. Even this game I haven't played in some time (I want to say, 2016 maybe?), and as a kid I did not finish it (got very close, that one last trek around the world near the end to reach the X-naut base was where I stopped playing it then. I think around 2010 I beat it for real.), but I did actually start many new games and played the hell out of this. Coming close to 20 years later, Rogueport's theme is one of the most nostalgic things I experience to this day, and I'm very excited to play through the remake to say the least.

I’ve been really enjoying reading everyone’s lists and especially their write ups! Really fun to see what speaks most to y’all :)

Also I never touched Sparks of Hope, so leaving that one off. From what I've heard it'd probably rank the lowest of the Rabbids games
You made me realize that I had completely forgotten to include Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle into my own rankings. Which now has me mulling over my choices again...

I just realized I haven't played very many Mario RPGs, so this is my pathetic ranking list:

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

This was one of my favorite games as a kid and remains among my top 3 to this day. Every chapter is wonderfully unique; the soundtrack is memorable and stylish; the combat is simple and satisfying; the story is fun; the characters are endearing. I just love every bit of it and I consider it a near-perfect game.

S+

2. Paper Mario 64

I could literally just copy and paste what I wrote above right here, but I feel TTYD iterates and improves on the beautiful foundation laid by the original title in most ways. Specifically, however, I absolutely adore Bowser's final boss theme. It took me over 10 years to finally beat him after utterly failing as a kid.

S+

3. Super Paper Mario

This game is weird as shit but I still liked it. The character design is odd but striking in a way. The soundtrack has the same quality. I dunno, I feel like the creative team took some designer drugs while making this game. It's not a repayable game but it's still worth playing at least once.

B-

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - I absolutely adore this game. It's in my top 10 favorite games of all-time. The story and writing are fantastic, and the combat system is so fun.
  2. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - A classic. It was my first RPG, and it's super fun to explore the world of this game.
  3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Bowser is probably my favorite Mario character, and I really like what they did with the Bowser segments in this game--playing as him is just really satisfying.
  4. Paper Mario - Love this game too, but as far as I'm concerned The Thousand-Year Door improved on it in just about every meaningful way.
  5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Wonderfully well-written, and I really liked using Mario and Luigi's Bros. abilities.
  6. Super Paper Mario - Count me in the camp that liked this game. A few parts were tedious, but it had a lot of novel ideas that I'd like to see brought back.
  7. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - A good game, but doesn't quite reach the highs of Bowser's Inside Story or Superstar Saga.
  8. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Still a good game, but man, it drags sometimes. It's a bit too long for its own good.

I played Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Paper Mario: The Origami King, but didn't really stick with them long enough to rank them. Can't say I really cared for any of them.

Didn't play Paper Mario: Color Splash.

I haven't played a good amount of these, but here's my rank of those I have:

6. Paper Mario: The Origami King - I wasn't able to finish this. After completely passing on Sticker Star and Color Splash due to my dislike of the direction they took those games, this one looked like enough of an improvement to get me to jump back into the series. It's not a bad game on the whole, I love most of the art and music, but I found it poorly paced, the battle system to be a chore, and I still really dislike some of its choices like having the bosses all be stupid garbage like staplers because lol paper and so random instead of actual characters. I may go back to finish it one day.

5. Super Paper Mario - One of the best stories in any Mario game, but I am not really a fan of the direction they took the character designs in at all. Also in terms of actual gameplay it's honestly not very good at all, the 2D to 3D mechanic is great, but it feels like the combat is almost completely broken. I'd say there's a big gap between 5 and 4 on my list.

4. Super Mario RPG - I think this is a bit overrated by some but I still had a very good time with it.

3. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga - Another one a bit lighter on story and imo feels like it plays it a bit safe, but it's super well paced, great combat, and a real good soundtrack.

2. Paper Mario - lighter on story and character than TTYD, and the battle system isn't quite as good either, but there are still some great original ideas here still and it's got a lot of charm

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - This is in my top 10 games of all time, I love it to death, and it easily has the best battle system, best characters, and best story in the series, to the point I almost can't believe it's debated. The backtracking complaint has always felt incredibly overblown to me.

I didnt play all of them but damm, im still sad they changed the sprites. I hope they continue the saga or bring them all to Switch (and next)

Superstar Saga > Bowser's Inside Story > Super Mario RPG > Dream Team > Partners in Time > Paper Jam

Not only Superstar Saga is the best Mario RPG, it's also the best RPG on GBA (re-releases excluded). It's an AlphaDream perfection, everything about the game, the looks, interactive combat, hilarious story, are top notch. Only Bowser's continue SS's true legacy but that doesn't mean others are bad games at all. Paper Jam and Partners in Time feel a little sluggish but ultimately super fun.

Never played those two Paper Mario games and I have no intention to. That uber cute artstyle is not for me. Very diabetes inducing.

Ranking

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Paper Mario 64
3. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (It's too easy if you pick POW everytime)
5. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (Too many tutorials, Hard mode redeems this game, the dark souls of mario rpgs)
6. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (It's too easy, short scenarios, no time to steep/develop)

Games I don't remember enough to rank:
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
Super Paper Mario

Not included because I don't like them at all (They are ranked separately in the following order):
A. Paper Mario: Color Splash
B. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
C. Paper Mario: Origami King (Ring battles made this game insufferable even more than the previous entries)

Last edited:
TTYD > PM64 > SPM > Superstar Saga > SMRPG >>>>TOK > CS > SS

I still need to play through most of the Mario and Luigi games.

The Origami King doesn’t belong in these lists, because it isn’t an RPG. It’s a Zelda game. And it’s a damn good one at that.

The Origami King doesn’t belong in these lists, because it isn’t an RPG. It’s a Zelda game. And it’s a damn good one at that.
Au contraire, Zelda games are RPGs, ergo Origami King does count for this thread!

<Proceeds to hide in an oversized conch shell>

Au contraire, Zelda games are RPGs, ergo Origami King does count for this thread!

<Proceeds to hide in an oversized conch shell>
Get out here and answer for your crimes.
635809526624305680-20151020jmo-aMUSEconch-9254.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of Mario RPGs, I think in general their RPG elements are shallow and stale, and they're entirely carried by the fun writing, which is why I think they would work better as pure adventure games. I'd say the only one I truly enjoyed as an RPG was Mario RPG, that's why it's number 1 for me, although I think the writing in Superstar Saga is much better (that game is seriously hysterical).

So that would be my ranking so far:

1- Mario RPG
2- Superstar Saga
3- Paper Mario 64
4- Partners in Time

1. Paper Mario TTYD
2. Bowsers Inside Story
3. Superstar Saga
4. Mario RPG
5. Paper Mario 64
6. Partners in Time
7. Dream Team
8. Color Splash
9. Sticker Star
10. Paper Jam
11. Origami King

Story is quite important for me, that's why the last M&L and Paper Mario since Sticker Star are worse for me than the rest. I actually like the concept of Sticker Star, but I prefer the "classic" RPGs where the Story, characters and XP were the main focus. I agree with others here that Origami King suffered a lot from the ring battle system, I also didn't like that it had so many temples/dungeons and the final battle was a big letdown for me.

Ranking the ones I've played:
3. Super Mario RPG (Switch)
2.Paper Mario
1.Paper Mario: The Origami King

1.) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Massive nostalgia bias for this one: I played it for the first time when I was 8 or 9 and it was the game that introduced me to and ignited my love for turn-based RPGs. I love the partners, and I find the story to be a perfect sweet spot between feeling new and different ground for a Mario game without being so outlandish that Mario himself seems out of place. Each new environment is iconic and memorable, the badge system is at its peak, the music is peak, and the little details like the audience interactions or Goombella’s tattle log are just… so good. I’ve played the game three times in my life and I am still so, so excited to play the remake this week.

2.) Paper Mario
Opposite of nostalgia bias: I just beat this game for the first time last week! While a lot of it felt a noticeable step behind its direct sequel (partners felt less developed, story was a little on the bland side, music is kind of forgettable imo) the groundwork it laid is awesome, and the chapters I enjoyed the most in this game can absolutely stand toe-to-toe with TTYD’s best. The badge system is still great here and adds a lot of strategy, and I really didn’t feel like the pace ever dragged or felt too rushed.

Also I love Lady Bow, solid argument for best partner in the series!

3.) Super Mario RPG (Switch)
SMRPG on Switch was a really delightful way to experience the game for the first time; redone music was phenomenal, visual style is incredibly charming, and I really, really appreciated how they barely pulled back at all on the various oddities that came from the Mario IP being less established at the time of the original game’s release. The game is short and I can see how others might feel that the story feels rushed/underbaked as a result, but I honestly liked the pacing a lot and I think the length of the game felt just right. Battles are fun enough (I like how snappy they are and the music being a certified bop definitely helps) but the gear system rarely allows for much strategy beyond pick the one with the highest numbers, and I personally found some of the timings on the action commands pretty awkward to land consistently ( skill issue). What I did not love, or really even enjoy in the slightest, were the bits of isometric platforming! Consistently felt janky and frustrating to control. I also felt like almost every mini game that was introduced ranged from totally forgettable to actively annoying. Still though, presentation carries this game a lot for me, and Mallow is very lovable.

4.) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
M&L has never been a series I’ve really gelled with, but I did play the original with the release of GBA on NSO last year, and it was overall a good time! Battles being entirely based around skill with the action command timing is rough for me, and towards the end the game did kind of feel like it was stretching itself for content. Buuuuut the Beanbean Kingdom is a really fun setting with great characters, the enemy design and variety is cool, and the unique attributes of each brother were fun to discover as the game progressed. GBA visuals are pretty much always a treat for me and this game is no different; really lovely sprite work!

Did not like any of the little minigames though, especially the one the skeleton kong makes you do. I’m glad he’s dead.

5.) Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
Kind of cheating to include this: I played it when I was a lot younger and got roughly halfway through, but eventually I dropped it because I found the concept of Mario and Luigi wandering around Bowser’s guts really upsetting! I don’t know why but it just got worse and worse as the game progressed and I just couldn’t do it anymore. Playing as Bowser was fun though; I distinctly remember him saying Showtime before battles and that was great. Also the block guy with the mustache? The French accent and the block dog? Peak character design.

6.) Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Gosh dang do I not like this game. I really, really, do not like this game. I do not want to go on for any longer because everything I dislike about this game has been said a million times on the internet already.

Back
Top Bottom