• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Seventh Lair from The House in Fata Morgana developer NOVECT is coming to Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: out now!)

mazi

picross pundit

And we're actually planning to release a Nintendo Switch version of Seventh Lair Remastered! We will be able to release this version in the near future as well, so please wait for more details. (We did a lot of work behind the scenes last year!)

steam description
From NOVECT, the creators of the highly acclaimed The House in Fata Morgana, comes Seventh Lair, a tongue-in-cheek, but emotional look at the online interactions between an indie game developer and fans!

Story​

Dark†Knight, 27 years old, an indie game developer beginning to grow apprehensive about his lack of success. His life is on the bottom rung of society, and his career hangs on by a thread, but it's all about to take a positive turn when one of his very enthusiastic female fans reaches out.
The creative process was once driven by a vague desire to be recognized, but now he has real inspiration in his feelings for her, and in 2013 he knew he could make a hit unlike any other.

On his website, "Royaume Heaven", the regulars tended to go overboard with their critique on the forum page. After Dark†Knight's own involvement took a steep drop, one of the worst trolls, J.B kept pushing and pushing. "Come on you hack creator, hurry up and spit out a new game."

Then at last, Dark†Knight responded with a single comment.

"I'll have a new release on April Fool's"

On the day of April 1st. The newly uploaded game file was entitled "Seventh Lair". But the moment the download was performed, Dark†Knight and the others were sucked into an RPG-like realm...!

This Meta-Fantasy explores raw emotion and despair, in the context of our interactions on the web.

"A true masterpiece doesn't ask permission to move people."

this was the only part of the fata morgana series that wasn't available on switch. really happy that the devs decided to port it to the system.

this was the only part of the fata morgana series that wasn't available on switch. really happy that the devs decided to port it to the system.

Ok, I am ignorant
which are the games of the Fata Morgana series? Apart from The House of Fata Morgana I know about due to its perfect score on MC, I know nothing

Ok, I am ignorant
which are the games of the Fata Morgana series? Apart from The House of Fata Morgana I know about due to its perfect score on MC, I know nothing
the one that got the perfect score on metaceritic is "The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition", a compilation of three games (the house in fata morgana, a requiem for innocence, reincarnation), plus extra short stories. seventh lair is also related and features characters from the series but is currently only available on pc.

the one that got the perfect score on metaceritic is "The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition", a compilation of three games (the house in fata morgana, a requiem for innocence, reincarnation), plus extra short stories. seventh lair is also related and features characters from the series but is currently only available on pc.

Oh wow, really?
Didn't know that!
ANd so with this, everything will be available on Swith: neat!

Seventh Lair is really weird. This will probably be one of the darker VNs available for Switch.

I played it last year and liked it. The localization effort includes some of the elements outside of the game too, like the website that's referenced in game.

It's a weird Fata Morgana AU. Fans of the original should definitely check it out. Though, beware of some dark/triggering stuff

I'm a huge fan of Fata Morgana, it's my favorite visual novel, so I'm down for anything Novectacle is making. Really excited to try this out!

out now on the japanese eshop (supports japanese, french, chinese, english), will probably be out later today on other eshops

out now on the japanese eshop (supports japanese, french, chinese, english), will probably be out later today on other eshops

Great news! Thought this would be a little further out for some reason, but happy to see it released!

finally got around to playing this.

my god was the localization bad. by far the worst localization i've ever seen in a game, which is shocking for a short three hour game. if you can look over that tho (which is pretty hard), the story was really good. i'm glad this got released outside of japan but with how amazing the localization for the house in fata morgana was i can't help but be disappointed at the effort here.

edit: really liked the idea behind the website, the forum page adds a lot of context to the game.

my god was the localization bad. by far the worst localization i've ever seen in a game, which is shocking for a short three hour game. if you can look over that tho (which is pretty hard), the story was really good. i'm glad this got released outside of japan but with how amazing the localization for the house in fata morgana was i can't help but be disappointed at the effort here.

edit: really liked the idea behind the website, the forum page adds a lot of context to the game.

Oh no, what happened? Was it machine generated translation or something?

Yeah hearing that the localisation is much worse is pretty disappointing considering how good Fata Morgana was.

Oh no, what happened? Was it machine generated translation or something?
i don't know, i'm just baffled. i kinda chuckled when it got to the credits and for english translation, besides translator it also credited editor, script assistance, quality assurance manager, and quality assurance. while playing i was thinking to myself there's no way anyone read this translation before the game was published, let alone the script being edited.

it can't be machine translation because a, honestly i think machine translation would do a much better job these days (the localization was first published on steam in 2022) and b, there's no way machine translation would add so many inconsistencies.

some examples: the names aren't consistent. sometimes it's pauleen, a minute later it's pauline. same with nellie and nelly. random capitalizations in the middle of sentences, random punctuations (occasionally there's no space after period, sometimes it's "...yeah", sometimes "yeah...", sometimes "...yeah..."), there's no consistency in translation, almost like it was a group project which is bizarre for a 3 hour game, and a lot of times it feels like the translator is not a native english speaker or even good at it.

hanada on several occasions has credited the quality of the english localization with making the game a cult hit outside of japan, it's just so well done which makes whatever happened here doubly sad. i don't want to sound too dramatic tho, it's still fully playable and you will understand what happened, but it definitely detracts from the experience.

i don't know, i'm just baffled. i kinda chuckled when it got to the credits and for english translation, besides translator it also credited editor, script assistance, quality assurance manager, and quality assurance. while playing i was thinking to myself there's no way anyone read this translation before the game was published, let alone the script being edited.

it can't be machine translation because a, honestly i think machine translation would do a much better job these days (the localization was first published on steam in 2022) and b, there's no way machine translation would add so many inconsistencies.

some examples: the names aren't consistent. sometimes it's pauleen, a minute later it's pauline. same with nellie and nelly. random capitalizations in the middle of sentences, random punctuations (occasionally there's no space after period, sometimes it's "...yeah", sometimes "yeah...", sometimes "...yeah..."), there's no consistency in translation, almost like it was a group project which is bizarre for a 3 hour game, and a lot of times it feels like the translator is not a native english speaker or even good at it.

hanada on several occasions has credited the quality of the english localization with making the game a cult hit outside of japan, it's just so well done which makes whatever happened here doubly sad. i don't want to sound too dramatic tho, it's still fully playable and you will understand what happened, but it definitely detracts from the experience.

That's really bizarre. Actually reminds me of a game on the DS called Lux-Pain with that kind of inconsistency. Seemingly two different localizations (one for the voice dub, one for the text which displayed at the same time and obviously didn't marry up with what the voice actors were saying). It does sound like they had little to no time to edit it at all or used a team, as you say. Really weird. I'll still play it though. Hope further games from them get better then.

That's really bizarre. Actually reminds me of a game on the DS called Lux-Pain with that kind of inconsistency. Seemingly two different localizations (one for the voice dub, one for the text which displayed at the same time and obviously didn't marry up with what the voice actors were saying). It does sound like they had little to no time to edit it at all or used a team, as you say. Really weird. I'll still play it though. Hope further games from them get better then.
project m is being developed and localized simultaneously, i'm wouldn't be about that.

That really sucks to hear. I have the game on Steam, but was willing to double dip on Switch to support more VN's on Switch.

Would you say this is better played/read before or after Fata Morgana?

That really sucks to hear. I have the game on Steam, but was willing to double dip on Switch to support more VN's on Switch.

Would you say this is better played/read before or after Fata Morgana?
definitely after.

Back
Top Bottom