• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro Sega Ages Phantasy Star - the best 8 bit rpg is on sale for Switch - get it now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailzo

Paratroopa
JMBlhghZt6PdabVOvQ.jpg

M9BpsO6qfPUhgetLeJ.jpg

Eq1VDY0MeI6BhMOiQO.jpg

I already bought it ages ago, but I urge all rpg fans to buy it. It costs 28 NOK in my country, the same as cheap bread.

I bought it when it released, got lost after the first dungeon, and haven’t gone back lol I should do that

Phantasy Star was the highlight of the Switch Sega Ages line for me. The map system, faster walking, FM sound, etc. were nice to have. The increased XP made the game fly by quicker although I wish they had something in between it and the old default. Combat becomes a little too easy with the new mode.

And Tailzo, since you enjoy such a wide range of Sega stuff, you should post more of your personal anecdotes and Sega history in that being a Sega fan thread. ;)

100% agreed. One of the best 8bit RPGs and AGES is easily the best way to play the game thanks to QoL improvements like reducing the grinding to practically nothing and having the on-screen mapping feature. Pretty much the only real competition in my mind is EarthBound Beginnings. They're probably the only two 8bit RPGs I can just pick up and actually complete on a whim.

Definitely agree that they should've done some more Phantasy Star games before shelving AGES... Mostly PSII though. All the grinding and huge dungeons makes it pretty rough to just do a casual play-through nowadays. IV is thankfully pretty much perfect as-is. Just finished it on Nintendo Switch Online about a week ago!

I agree. I always loved phantasy star but it is pretty much unplayable in the modern world where you don't eveb consider drawing maps for the mazes. The map was a godsend and I finished it for the first time.

HONESTLY phantasy star 2 needs the same treatment. Do it SEGA!

Phantasy Star was the highlight of the Switch Sega Ages line for me. The map system, faster walking, FM sound, etc. were nice to have. The increased XP made the game fly by quicker although I wish they had something in between it and the old default. Combat becomes a little too easy with the new mode.

And Tailzo, since you enjoy such a wide range of Sega stuff, you should post more of your personal anecdotes and Sega history in that being a Sega fan thread. ;)
Maybe, but in a way I feel like I’m not really a faithful, haha :) I went like this:

Not owning any console, but liking sms and nes
Buying a mega drive
Buying a playstation
Buying a Dreamcast
And so on. I kept changing my console of choice a lot. But after 20 years and looking back, my list of top 10 games is full of Sega games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom