• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Scientists argue Pluto should be a planet again

Pluto: planet?

• Yes

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Mekanos

300 Years Of Gyudon
Pronouns
he/they

This debate has been raging for the last 15 years; where does Famiboards stand on this gripping sociopolitical controversy?

I think they should be more concerned about recognising planets like Aquarius, Cavius, Mekkai and Halfmoon.

Scientists are way too focused on what Pluto is. It never even crossed their minds to ask how Pluto is.

Tired of these woke scientists trying to classify Pluto as a planet. It's always been a dwarf planet, this is how we've always done it, it's never been an issue in the past stop trying to always make it about the classification of planetary mass objects. This is why this solar system is going down the tubes.

The moon's bigger than Pluto, so I'm fine with it not being a planet

Also the moon may not class as a moon, technically

Nah man, it ain’t a planet. I even read a whole book about it!

R.6de2233d44ad6e45a9f79bc5c5504e3b

R.cf49a3cc4f90d36d973a30d91c1450b1

Sailor Pluto exists therefore it's a planet. I know the Moon is not a planet but I won't be taking questions at the moment thank you.

Of course it's a planet, it's known as a "dwarf planet". You can't put it into a space book and then take it out because "It'S nOt A pLaNeT". It's like giving a dog a bone and then taking it away. It's planet and that's the hill I will happily die on.

I'd say welcome Pluto back as a planet. If we have to drop a planet (which we don't, but let's say it's atrade), then let's kick out either Mercury or Venus. They suck and I have no intention whatsoever to explain why except that they look boring on pictures.

As much as I want to redeem Sailor Pluto, the actual issue is not so much welcoming back Pluto as it is welcoming in a whole slew of dwarf planets. The issue has never been Pluto's size, it's that there are SO MANY OTHER dwarf planets like Pluto chilling out at the edge of our solar system. You would have to welcome all of them too. Ready to include Eris, Makemake, etc.? I mean, I am, but it'd also be a major pain!

As much as I want to redeem Sailor Pluto, the actual issue is not so much welcoming back Pluto as it is welcoming in a whole slew of dwarf planets. The issue has never been Pluto's size, it's that there are SO MANY OTHER dwarf planets like Pluto chilling out at the edge of our solar system. You would have to welcome all of them too. Ready to include Eris, Makemake, etc.? I mean, I am, but it'd also be a major pain!
Here's a simple way to go about it. If there's a corresponding Sailor Senshi, it's a planet. Done.
Wait, that would make our moon a planet, and Earth not-a-planet.
Shit.

I welcome each and every dwarf planet. What if we just combine them?

We could just refer to them as "modular Milky Way Dwarf" whenever we refer to any of the planets.

The current compromise of calling them dwarf planets seems reasonable. 8 major planets plus a bunch of dwarfs.

All classification of celestial bodies is ultimately arbitrary and anthropocentric, so I would ask which classification better suits human purposes. By everyone's admission counting Pluto as a planet would result in over 100 planets, at minimum. Is this a useful classification? Are we going to teach 130 planets in schools? It seems obvious introductory astronomy would end up focusing on the "Big 8" anyway, so there'd be a de facto, separate categorization regardless of what the IAU says.

I can't help but feel most of this is driven by sentimentality about Pluto-- which is fine, it's one of the most beautiful and interesting objects in our solar system, but it's telling I never hear anyone complain about Ceres not being a planet, no one gets mad about Makemake being a dwarf planet, all the focus is on Pluto, because it was a planet in their childhood.

Ok here me out here what if we call Pluto a planet, but then we call all of the other ones Huge Planets instead.

Colossal Planets, Big-Ass Planets, and Extra Large Planets would also be acceptable.

I just call it whatever the scientists say it is, if they make it a planet again I'll call it a planet but until then nah

This is how I feel. Not really knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on this otherwise and I think the general public weighing in on it is kind of a meme.

Back
Top Bottom