• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro Samurai Shodown RPG, one of the few (semi) Neo Geo CD exclusives, has gotten an English fan translation.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
7113titlescreen.png

(link to the translation page)

yes, despite the console's reputation for just being a standard Neo Geo with long loading times and redbook audio. there were a few titles that were only on the platform. this (though it did also get PS1 and Saturn ports) was a natural choice considering Arcade Operators likely did not want people hogging a single machine for several hours grinding in an RPG, even though there were actual cards made for storing save data, which would slightly migate that issue.

some other notable examples of titles released only on the CD include a media disk containing various assets for The King of Fighters '96 (such disks were shockingly common on early CD consoles in Japan, Virtua Fighter notably has multiple spanning every playable character in the game.), and the shmup Ironclad, which was originally intended to be a standard arcade cartridge, but inexplicably ended up as a CD exclusive at the last minute. (the practically finished arcade version would eventually resurface on multiple official Neo Geo compilations in later years,)

the patch also includes a few extra QOL features than can be toggled if you want them, like increasing the potency of various stat boosting items.

This has been a white whale of games I've waited decades for someone to finally fan translate. Incredibly happy that I'll finally get a chance to try this game.

Now I just need English fan translations for

The remaining Japanese only Tales games (Rebirth, Destiny 2, Hearts DS, etc)

Princess Crown

Sakura Wars 2-4

A bunch of SRW titles

Back
Top Bottom