• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Ryo Nagamatsu (Splatoon 2 & 3, ALBW, Link's Awakening Switch, Nintendo Land composer) has left Nintendo

Dcubed

Paratroopa

That's a massive loss for Nintendo... Hope he still continues to work with them in a freelance capacity down the line...

Nagamatsu did a lot of great work for Nintendo. Splatoon, the amazing ALBW and Link's Awakening arrangements, Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart 8...so many stone cold classic tracks and arrangements. I'll miss hearing his tunes in Nintendo games, should he not collaborate with the company again!

On the other hand, it it means we can see his work across a variety of games and companies (like with Yoko Shimomura) or if he can find a comfortable niche for himself (like Yuka Tsujiyoko, original Fire Emblem and Paper Mario composer who still advises the FE games but primarily works on Picross soundtracks now), then maybe it won't be so bad.

Mentioned it in the other thread, but I imagine Nintendo will still keep working with him. And he's probably gonna get paid more for it. Also means he's free to contribute his music to other things.

Literally one of the most underrated composers of all time! His work on Nintendo Land is just marvelous.

A huge loss for Nintendo, but a huge win for the industry as a whole. I look forward to his contributions in the future!

He’s been one of the great modern Nintendo composers, here’s hoping he is able to continue his great work on many more future games!

Genuinely tough to imagine Splatoon without its very particular soundscape! Being more of a freelancer does seem like more fun for a composer, especially if you’re already well known.

Mentioned it in the other thread, but I imagine Nintendo will still keep working with him. And he's probably gonna get paid more for it. Also means he's free to contribute his music to other things.
it wont,he will never work on a nintendo game again,its not like when when uematsu or mitsuda left square but keep working as a freelancer,nintendo dont work with external composers on internally developed games, there is zero cases of this hapenning,ever

One of my favourite modern Nintendo composers. Here's hoping we'll get to hear a lot more from him in the future!

it wont,he will never work on a nintendo game again,its not like when when uematsu or mitsuda left square but keep working as a freelancer,nintendo dont work with external composers on internally developed games, there is zero cases of this hapenning,ever
Smash?

Not internally developed.

He is kind of right though. Nintendo have never worked with an outside freelance composer for any game developed internally within EAD/EPD or SPD/EPD... with the sole exception being the Rhythm Heaven series.

That being said though, it's not like he's a typical freelance composer. He is ex Nintendo after all, so exceptions can always be made.

10 years ago asuka ito left nintendo to become a freelancer composer,you know how many games she scored since them ? 0
a lot of comercials and films,but no games
the talk about wilder range of work is really worrisome

are you implying that they blacklist composers or something?
not really,but composers that left nintendo like Hajime Hirasawa,Kozue Ishikawa,Yukio Kaneoka,Yumiko Kanki,Naoto Ishida,Soyo Oka,,Shinobu Amayake,
Takeshi Hama all dissapeared,the only ex - nintendo composer that still get credits on games regularly is daisuke shiiba,maybe they left nintendo because they were tired of the gaming industry

Last edited:
He did the NintendoLand theme?! Oh no! That song has been forever stuck in my head. Hope he is happy in his new endeavors.

I always felt he got a bit shafted honestly. His work on ALBW, Triforce Heroes, and everything else was so topnotch. It's a shame they didn't let him compose anything for BotW.

Though honestly, Monoaka's soundtrack for BotW is a masterpiece. She also made the soundtrack for Spirit Tracks and Animal Crossing New Leaf. She was so good though, that it made her absence in AC New Horizon very clear.

He was one of the best composers still working at Nintendo, so this stings. I find it disappointing how nearly all of their greats have moved into mostly supervisory roles over the years, while those who worked at Rare or HAL or Game Freak are all still very much active today whether they remain at the company or not. You still get some Hajime Wakai or Koji Kondo on certain games, that's about it.

I feel like they've generally failed to fill these shoes too. I haven't enjoyed much of what the new generation of composers has been putting out for their classic series in the Switch era, apart from Bowser's Fury, but we don't even know who actually did that one. And with Ryo Nagamatsu gone and Mahito Yokota not having done any music since 2014, that's two of the three who I associate with regularly doing amazing live recorded soundtracks out. At least we still have Atsuko Asahi.

Honestly, the role of in-house composer is a bit mystifying to me, especially when Nintendo's often had such a large roster of composers and seemingly not enough work to keep them all busy? Maybe they also do technical implementation, studio engineering etc..
Best. Dungeon. Theme. Ever.

Yes. ALBW may be my second favourite Zelda soundtrack. Such a shame he never got to write for an honest-to-goodness new 2D Zelda...

By the by, the 2018 Symphonic Concert medley for ALBW is godly, and if I'm correct he wrote those orchestrations himself.

I feel like they've generally failed to fill these shoes too. I haven't enjoyed much of what the new generation of composers has been putting out for their classic series in the Switch era, apart from Bowser's Fury.
I couldn't agree more. I got criticized for my bluntness when i said that the Metroid Dread composers came from the EPD bargain bin, but i think it holds true.

And Bowser's Fury was composed by an NST composer who directed the sound design of Metroid Prime Hunters, so even then its hard to say that its the exception.

Ryo's compositions are magnificent, they simply feel huge in a way that doesnt feels soulless like a lot of composers who "compose big" if you get me. If EPD wont take him anymore i hope he finds success somewhere else.

I couldn't agree more. I got criticized for my bluntness when i said that the Metroid Dread composers came from the EPD bargain bin, but i think it holds true.

And Bowser's Fury was composed by an NST composer who directed the sound design of Metroid Prime Hunters, so even then its hard to say that its the exception.

Ryo's compositions are magnificent, they simply feel huge in a way that doesnt feels soulless like a lot of composers who "compose big" if you get me. If EPD wont take him anymore i hope he finds success somewhere else.
I'm not too big of a fan of Metroid Dread's soundtrack. But one of the composers who worked on Metroid Dread (Sayoko Doi) later worked on Splatoon 3 and according to the recently released soundtrack liner notes, Doi was responsible for the site music in the Return of the Mammalians game mode, which imo is some of the best music from the game.

The VGM folks I know attribute all of Bowser's Fury's music to Daisuke Matsuoka. He is the only known sound staff credited who does not sound design. while James Phillipsen is primarily a sound designer but has composed in the past . The game doesn't credit roles for the development staff, so it's hard to say for certain though unless you're familiar with either composer's past work.

He was their best composer, maybe ever. Link's Awakening 2019 score is a masterpiece, real subtlety and cleverenss, knew when to go big and when to keep it small. Huge loss for the company.

Losing Nagamatsu is pretty big, but I don't really get the pearl-clutching that he was Nintendo's only good composer at the moment. There's still Atsuko Asahi (best composer on MK8 imo), Yasuaki Iwata, Naoto Kubo, Manaka Kataoka, Shiho Fujii, Toru Minegishi, and Toshiyuki Sudo. I'm sure we'll see more from the newer composers too.

Kondo has been composing more within the last decade starting with Mario Maker. Between Mario Sunshine and that, he barely did anything outside of supervision.

I feel sound direction also plays a significant part. I can't imagine many people remember the soundtrack to games like Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree or even New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which were some of Nagamatsu's earliest projects.

I didn't want to shill my own thread, especially when most of the links are dead

Back
Top Bottom