• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Romancing SaGa 2: Revenge of the Seven announced for PC, Playstation and Nintendo Switch, coming October 24th

I have no idea how this series gets so much love and attention from Square when it seems like nobody ever buys or plays any of them?
SaGa Frontier Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 remasters often hit the top sellers list on eShop whenever there's sale (they're cheap). It was same on Vita as well. They're pure JRPG's and there's a huge audience for them on Switch. Don't take the Famiboards tastes as mainstream tastes, couldn't be further than that.

Square probably expects a success similar to last years Star Ocean 2 with this game and if they push it hard enough, they might get it.

I seriously don't understand how they are able to release so many SaGa games and especially a remake that looks even more high budget than the most recent entry. Kawazu must be threatening people at Square Enix.

This game was such a good surprise for me. One I really needed. I can't decide which I'm more excited for. This or Dragon Quest. And it looks so good, too. I'm so happy about it.

Romancing Saga 2 is an unsung SNES classic, I'm so glad it's getting a chance with such as high quality remake. Also, Switch footage looks to be running shockingly smoothly and the game itself is one of the better looking JRPG remakes in a while. Can't wait!

I have no idea how this series gets so much love and attention from Square when it seems like nobody ever buys or plays any of them?

It probably has to do with them being extremely cool and kicking ass. Been watching @Phosphorescent Skeleton play them over the last few weeks and they look so fun! She even beat the remastered original of this one just the other week and it looked awesome!

This remake looks really good and ambitious. I might give this one a try, even though I'm more interested in the SaGa Frontier remaster right now (because it's got Live a Live vibes and also Asellus is extremely cool).

It probably has to do with them being extremely cool and kicking ass. Been watching @Phosphorescent Skeleton play them over the last few weeks and they look so fun! She even beat the remastered original of this one just the other week and it looked awesome!

This remake looks really good and ambitious. I might give this one a try, even though I'm more interested in the SaGa Frontier remaster right now (because it's got Live a Live vibes and also Asellus is extremely cool).

I have a physical copy of this still in the shrink wrap :ninja:

Maybe I should crack it open.

I have a physical copy of this still in the shrink wrap :ninja:

Maybe I should crack it open.

It's just got some of the best vibes if you're into PSX RPGs. Got some nice QoL features too, like autosave, fast forwarding the map and battles, arrows that show you what you can interact with... SaGa's not for everyone because of the amount of freedom the give the player, but Frontier is a really ambitious and well realized game. Great pre-rendered sprites too!

Highlight of the Direct for me, one of the most unique and satisfying JRPGs I've played and my favorite of the SaGa titles.

The gacha game (Imperial Saga I think?) made tons of money for SQEnix and was constantly on the top revenue lists in Japan for quite some time. Ever since then. Kawazu was able to roll-out a lot of Saga content into consoles. From new games to remasters. Had the gacha game not happened, the franchise would probably be kept in the freezer due to Scarlet Grace doing terrible on Vita.

Also help that the games are probably fairly cheap to make and having a high level producer constantly pushing for new content (Like how Miyamoto champions Star Fox)

Interesting. This slightly changes my plans so I'll just finish the Collection of SaGa, then play the remakes of the first 2 Romancing games instead of the classic versions.

Gotta admit RS2 was the first i played and trying to play that game without my hero dying is insanely difficult so I didn't make it far; I legit thought this was a sequel, not a remake at first, and well, uh, seems redundant since the OG game got a remaster on Switch

Maybe this one will not kick my ass lol

Gotta admit RS2 was the first i played and trying to play that game without my hero dying is insanely difficult so I didn't make it far; I legit thought this was a sequel, not a remake at first, and well, uh, seems redundant since the OG game got a remaster on Switch

Maybe this one will not kick my ass lol
The remake will feature difficulty options: casual, normal and hard (hard is the difficulty of the original lol)

P27_difficulties-studag9uz.jpeg

The remake will feature difficulty options: casual, normal and hard (hard is the difficulty of the original lol)
Haha, nice. I played the previous mobile-aesthetic remake but sucked at it. Between enemies scaling up with every battle fought and New Game+ from a mid-game spot not carrying a big advantage, I played through several generations several times before getting overwhelmed.

Literally one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

Can't believe this is getting a big budget remake. Insane. God bless Square Enix.

The crazy part? Romancing SaGa 3 could be next.

P27_difficulties-studag9uz.jpeg
oh thank christ lol

now to wait for this and then beat it, THEN go to beat RS2 proper

...or just finish Saga 2/3 and then do minstrel (I beat 1, it was very easy and chill), then do RS2 before this remake

i'll likely only get to 2/3 at my pace tbh

I recently became obsessed with this series, and would rank it far above Final Fantasy. RS2 is one of the best RPGs ever made, and Im beyond excited for the remake. If you're stress by your main character dying a lot, thats fine, its part of the game mechanics.

Also, SaGa gets a lot of love because the series is more popular in Japan, there has never been a bad one, it has a successful gacha game, and Akitoshi Kawazu has been with Square since before Final Fantasy.

A concise overview of what the game is and how it works, for those who are interested:

You can listen to five of the rearranged tracks here:

Also look at this menu screen, damn:

ss_792ae1d436db7016b459c0e3b61d4526380448a2.1920x1080.jpg

One of my favorite aspects of this game was that it really sells you the fantasy that you are playing as a dinasty of emperors waging a war that spans over the course of centuries, so I really like that they are leaning on the imagery of that.

Last edited:
Such a surprising announcement. Could this be the first SaGa game that actually manages to not scare me off?

Also Xeen is the outsourced developer for this project (don't think it has been mentioned itt yet). That Trials of Mana remake really worked out for them and Square. (Explains why Visions of Mana isn't by them, too).

A concise overview of what the game is and how it works, for those who are interested:

You can listen to five of the rearranged tracks here:

Also look at this menu screen, damn:

ss_792ae1d436db7016b459c0e3b61d4526380448a2.1920x1080.jpg

One of my favorite aspects of this game was that it really sells you the fantasy that you are playing as a dinasty of emperors waging a war that spans over the course of centuries, so I really like that they are leaning on the imagery of that.
Those remastered tracks are so damn good.

This remake is gonna be peak.

This looks so awesome- as someone who just jumped into SaGa games this year, it's all new to me! Those character recruitment highlights really seemed fun, I want a sailor/swashbuckler ally...

I'll probably get this in a sale since I already own the mobile version that was ported to consoles at the start of the generation. Cool that they were able to keep the lid on this for as long as they did, most people seemed to expect Frontiers 2 or even Unlimited. I'm guessing they want to give the rest of the Romancing games the Minstrel Song treatment.

Those remastered tracks are so damn good.
Kenji Ito is legitimately one of the most underrated composers associated with Square. I think that wouldn't be the case if the Romancing SaGa games had originally released outside of Japan.

But seriously people, go check out his music.

So how does it work in terms of choosing the successor to the Emperor each time? Are some characters locked to certain ‘generations’? Or is it more just passing the torch on to another leader even if it’s only been a few weeks since the last one?

So how does it work in terms of choosing the successor to the Emperor each time? Are some characters locked to certain ‘generations’? Or is it more just passing the torch on to another leader even if it’s only been a few weeks since the last one?
There are two ways that cause a change in Emperor:

1. Permadeath. If your main character (Emperor) permanently dies in combat.

2. Passage of time. Basically in the backend of the game, it calculates everything you do, which gets tied to a score called "Event Rank". So every quest you choose to do will contribute to this. When the Event Rank reaches a certain number, it will trigger a generational skip. At that point you will need to choose a new heir to the throne.

The way it worked in the original is that any time a passing of the torch would occur, it would randomly generate a list of maybe 5 new successors you could choose from. If you've ever played Rogue Legacy, it's kind of like that.

I don't know if this version will also do the same regarding random generation.

Whenever you recruit a new character/job, that job will unlock as a possible option for your next Emperor.

There are two ways that cause a change in Emperor:

1. Permadeath. If your main character (Emperor) permanently dies in combat.

2. Passage of time. Basically in the backend of the game, it calculates everything you do, which gets tied to a score called "Event Rank". So every quest you choose to do will contribute to this. When the Event Rank reaches a certain number, it will trigger a generational skip. At that point you will need to choose a new heir to the throne.

The way it worked in the original is that any time a passing of the torch would occur, it would randomly generate a list of maybe 5 new successors you could choose from. If you've ever played Rogue Legacy, it's kind of like that.

I don't know if this version will also do the same regarding random generation.

Whenever you recruit a new character/job, that job will unlock as a possible option for your next Emperor.
Ah I see, so the characters/classes listed may turn up at any point.

Ah I see, so the characters/classes listed may turn up at any point.
Yeah they're usually tied to a quest.

For example:

Mole. They're a race of molemen.

If you stumble across their underground den, you'll find out about a Termite boss who has taken over their home. If you kill it, you'll now always be able to recruit a Mole to your party whenever you want. But it also unlocks the possibility for your next Emperor to be a Mole.

Yeah they're usually tied to a quest.

For example:

Mole. They're a race of molemen.

If you stumble across their underground den, you'll find out about a Termite boss who has taken over their home. If you kill it, you'll now always be able to recruit a Mole to your party whenever you want. But it also unlocks the possibility for your next Emperor to be a Mole.
That’s really interesting, thanks!

Sticking it on my list for later this year. So many rpgs…

Back
Top Bottom