• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News River City: Rival Showdown is the latest game to get rescued from 3DS purgatory. (PS4/Switch/PC, coming October 12th)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

a fairly low-key option, considering it thankfully got a retail release. but still good to see it preserved.
last time it was the digital-only puzzle game "Nyoki-Nyoki". which got so much interest thanks to the eshop closure, that the dev team decided to commit to bringing it over to Switch/PC at some point in the future.

last time it was the digital-only puzzle game "Nyoki-Nyoki". which got so much interest thanks to the eshop closure, that the dev team decided to commit to bringing it over to Switch/PC at some point in the future.
Oh, the game by the Puyo Puyo creator! It feels like both this and Monster Tale were supposed to have Switch ports forever now, they were announced and then just... years of silence, with no details anywhere. Obviously something happened, but maybe this time it'll come through?

I remember playing the 3DS release back when it came out in the US. It was an interesting alternate take on River City Ransom, one that expanded on the story from the original (at least the JP original, lol) and experimented with the open structure for progression across the game's new time limit. I still prefer the original but this stands as its own experience.

Assuming the difficulty is the same as the original release, I have one piece of advice: play on Beginner difficulty, even if you're an experienced Kunio-kun player! The Intermediate difficulty is difficult primarily because you are at a much higher statistical disadvantage. This game is designed around replay and there is a new game plus feature on top of more difficulty choices, so you can always do a new run later.

I'm all for porting games from old systems for the sake of preservation and availability, but the terminology used feels kinda icky for me, specially when it seems to apply only to certain systems. XXX purgatory is one of the most extended, and seems to apply mostly to Wii U and, strangely, 3DS.

I haven't heard mentions of Mega Drive Purgatory, or PS3 Purgatory, or MS-DOS purgatory...

I could get it if we were talking about games trapped in widely unsuccesful systems, but 3DS? What's the criteria here?

Quoted by: Leo
I'm all for porting games from old systems for the sake of preservation and availability, but the terminology used feels kinda icky for me, specially when it seems to apply only to certain systems. XXX purgatory is one of the most extended, and seems to apply mostly to Wii U and, strangely, 3DS.

I haven't heard mentions of Mega Drive Purgatory, or PS3 Purgatory, or MS-DOS purgatory...

I could get it if we were talking about games trapped in widely unsuccesful systems, but 3DS? What's the criteria here?

Probably because 3DS and Wii U had online shops which would have enabled their libraries to stay available for a long time as they're still fairly recent games, but that didn't happen because the shops were closed very prematurely.

In addition, unlike these other systems you mentioned, the 3DS and Wii U had lots of exclusive digital only games that are now 100% unavailable through legal means. With retro consoles you can still hunt the cartridges if you want (and again, they're much older, so it's more reasonable that they're more difficult to access).

Last edited:
Probably because 3DS and Wii U had online shops which would have enabled their libraries to stay available for a long time as they're still fairly recent games, but that didn't happen because the shops were closed very prematurely.

In addition, unlike these other systems you mentioned, the 3DS and Wii U had lots of exclusive digital only games that are now 100% unavailable through legal means. With retro consoles you can still hunt the cartridges if you want (and again, they're much older, so it's more reasonable that they're more difficult to access).

Oh right, completely forgot about that.

My bad.

these ports have exclusive content. (Riki’s Story)
03.jpg

A special scenario added to the main story.
Follow Riki and witness his side of what went down during the four day period of the River City incident.
What was he up to all that time?
Unlock this compelling parallel plot by clearing River City: Yamada's Side.

* Unlocked automatically if save data for "River City Saga: Three Kingdoms" is present.
well, that's certainly one way to encourage people from moving on from the 3DS version.

Back
Top Bottom