• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Reminder: Miyamoto once rejected a "Walupeach" proposal

Supreme Overlord

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Pronouns
he/him
A Walupeach Thread

This news might not come as a shock to many of you, or might even be eerily familiar, but the dastardly duo of Wario and Waluigi nearly welcomed a new doppelgänger until Miyamoto bravely and soundly rejected the idea of an entity dubbed ワルピーチ or, as is the translator here's chosen translation, "Walupeach."

This information is making the rounds thanks to a republished 2008 Nintendo Dream article, and I was surprised the inexplicable Waluigi craze hadn't yet brought it into these parts.

buoyed by the OK & the knowledge that Nintendo was open to good ideas, they tried to pitch "Walupeach" for their next game, but apparently Miyamoto vetoed it before they could even show him their design, on the lines that "I know it's gonna be just like Doronjo, so don't bother"

Shugo says her design wasn't inspired by Doronjo and thus didn't actually look like her, but she was a datenshi-style character

Miyamoto, having learned from past mistakes of letting unholy and profane horrors slip into the Mario universe -- this isn't Kirby after all; there are limits! -- saw the gateway that Waluigi had opened and immediately shut it. However, there remains the possibility that this unholy being would have been welcomed into the Mario lore. Alas, the galaxies may never know.

How do the fine denizens of Famiboards take this dreadful near-occurrence? What form would such a character have taken? Would the Mario universe have a chance to survive?

during the making of Super Mario Land 2, Wario was never sent to Miyamoto for review—in fact, they only ever had him check Mario himself, and he was never shown any other part of the game

even "Wario" was just a placeholder name that he didn't expect to make the final product

Honestly, I can see the possibility that a character of this general sort working in the universe and even generating her own fanbase, both circumstances being especially dependent on how the character would be designed, written, and implemented. However, I'd definitely recommend not making her an evil Peach type character, but rather someone nondependent on existing characters (If anything, more of an anti-Rosalina might make sense). Also, the sports series is likely not the place for her debut.

A new woman within the Mario mythos seems likely to be welcomed, especially within communities such as this Fami, especially if she can then join in on fun such as Mario's sports or karting outings, or even make her way into acceptance for SmashI.

It's not exactly an uncommon refrain that Mario, and truly Nintendo as a whole, could use more women within its ranks, but this also encompasses another related subject as well: there are a number of characters throughout the wider franchise/universe who would fit but who don't receive the same recognition they deserve, even whilst they remain entirely usable as characters.

Wario Land's Captain Syrup is an obvious example. And this series also brought us Princess Shokora. Actually, the proposed character probably wouldn't feel out of place here.

Paper Mario has brought fan favorites such as Lady Bow and Vivian.

While a new character would certainly be welcome, the wider universe has plenty of such characters. Even Pauline is only just now seeing a resurgence.

I wish they had gone for it, Nintendo could absolutely stand to have more female characters.

i feel like if Wapeach actually happened, the fanart community would have been irreversibly changed forever.
Bowsette certainly wouldn't exist, for one. and in turn any variants of her that revolving around giving other enemies the Super Crown would also cease to exist.

...Miyamoto never saw their official design, but the design officially exists?

C'mon DYKG, work your fukken magic
Ah, right, no image in the opening post because, obviously, we don't have one available.

But the design is out there. Somewhere.

But for now y'all will just have to imagine for yourselves what it could be.

Bring Back Captain Syrup! She's a fantastic foil to Wario and serves the "Bad Peach" angle well without being derivative of her.

I do feel if developers were to revisit this concept somehow that it shouldn't be merely a "Bad Peach" character, but something more its own. I would see it probably becoming closer to an anti-Rosalina (Cosmos/heavens ... from cosmic to infernal), but even then it's best if that's not an adequate description.

However, I absolutely agree regarding Captain Syrup. It's a shame she doesn't get her due recognition, a complete shame I say. Want a pirate game but don't want to make a Wind Waker followup? As always, as is the case in a great many situations, Captain Syrup is right there.

Really, though, even just adding her to sports and to Kart would be a good start. There's no good reason not to.

I like Captain Syrup, but I think Mario is kind of at a place now where it's not too easy to add more main characters to the cast. With Rosalina and Pauline, the cast is even at 4 men and 4 women.

I'd just settle for having Syrup become part of the WarioWare cast.

Back
Top Bottom