• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Remember when the Sonic movie was just...... this?

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him

It's amazing how far we've come. From a nightmarish Sonic design and a terrible trailer to the sequel being one of the most hyped video game movies ever made. The original is now loved among Sonic fans, and the movie designs for Tails, Robotnik, and Knuckles are perfect. Amazing how much can change when the creative team loves the IP.

I still think the backlash towards the design is fairly overblown TBH, Detective Pikachu had way worse examples of going too "realistic" in terms of design. Yet Sonic got the brunt end due to the series being a punching bag for cheap jokes about it's quality.
oh_no.PNG
fea2r.PNG

mr-mime-detective-pikachu.jpg

It's clear the actual plot hadn't changed much either, just Sonic's design. So you'd still get Jim Carrey's iconic performance as Eggman. Including moments like this.

I still think the backlash towards the design is fairly overblown TBH, Detective Pikachu had way worse examples of going too "realistic" in terms of design. Yet Sonic got the brunt end due to the series being a punching bag for cheap jokes about it's quality.
oh_no.PNG
fea2r.PNG

It's clear the actual plot hadn't changed much either, just Sonic's design. So you'd still get Jim Carrey's iconic performance as Eggman. Including moments like this.

the Jim Carrey scene needs to blasted though a hometheater or good headphones for best effect imo!

i finally got around to watching the sonic movie the other day and... unironically its like my favorite movie i've watched this year lol.

not all movies need to be moving, challenging masterpieces to be enjoyable. i really liked it!

oh_no.PNG
fea2r.PNG

But those still look like the original characters.

The problem was not realism. It was that Sonic looked way too weird. It wasn't a good model too, as the fur looked really bad (I think he was meant to have spikes all over but it didn't look like spikes).

To this day I struggle to accept that this situation wasn't intentional. Like, it's not like anyone looked at that character design and did not say "hmm... Sonic looks hella ugly!!!!" or "He doesn't look like his videogame counterpart at all, be him Classic Sonic or Adventure Sonic". It got them marketing attention and the fact they 100% nailed the rework, even down to more realistic fur. No way it was not intentional. But it wasn't lmao.

That kind of blows my mind.

I mean, I'm glad you enjoy it and I don't begrudge anyone getting joy where they can, but I just hated it. Every moment he was on the screen was just total cringe for me.
It's possible that I'm just used to him. 😅

I mean, I'm glad you enjoy it

I swear this is such a demeaning thing to say every time I see it lol

It's like when people say "sorry, but [thing you're not sorry about]"

Sorry for doing a 1-person gangup on you, I just needed to say it

I swear this is such a demeaning thing to say every time I see it lol

It's like when people say "sorry, but [thing you're not sorry about]"

Sorry for doing a 1-person gangup on you, I just needed to say it
Lol, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to emphasise that I wasn't being one of those people who can't stand it when people like something they don't.

I'm just genuinely baffled that people enjoy it. And good luck to them - I wish I did, because the rest of the film was surprisingly decent.

I do like the new design better; it's way more faithful to the character.

I was not and still am not a big fan of making major changes regarding complaints online. Likely from people who won't ever even see the movie.

I do like the new design better; it's way more faithful to the character.

I was not and still am not a big fan of making major changes regarding complaints online. Likely from people who won't ever even see the movie.
if everyone hates something the internet provides a great chance to course correct

oh_no.PNG
fea2r.PNG

Hope we get a new lab scene in the sequel.

Also first movie Robotnik had to pretend to play somewhat by the rules so I expect Jim to play him even wilder and crazier this time and it should be a blast

Hope we get a new lab scene in the sequel.

Also first movie Robotnik had to pretend to play somewhat by the rules so I expect Jim to play him even wilder and crazier this time and it should be a blast
Yeah Jim said in interviews that he wanted to come back for a trilogy (before the first movie was even out) because he felt like he could go a lot deeper and maniacal with Robotnik if given the chance, and he really wanted the chance.
This was sort of a big deal because he famously does not like doing sequels, and him, of all people, wanting to do a whole trilogy of Sonics was one of the early signs that we might have something kinda special here. Hoping Sonic 2 proves it further.

oh_no.PNG
fea2r.PNG

Honestly, I think these designs work perfectly fine. Sure, some could've done with a bit more work, but and they do look like the characters they're supposed to look like and they're never the main focus of film. And personally I think Mr. Mime works absolutely perfect. Just a reminder that this was actually going to be part of the movie:

schermafbeelding2021-yjj7b.png

This thing looks terrible, even leaving it aside that it's supposed to be Sonic...

Did the DVD get the bad version as an extra?
I have no idea, but I absolutely need to know this. That monstrosity needs to be saved in all it's glory!

Yeah Jim said in interviews that he wanted to come back for a trilogy (before the first movie was even out) because he felt like he could go a lot deeper and maniacal with Robotnik if given the chance, and he really wanted the chance.
This was sort of a big deal because he famously does not like doing sequels, and him, of all people, wanting to do a whole trilogy of Sonics was one of the early signs that we might have something kinda special here. Hoping Sonic 2 proves it further.
Yeah people forget he’s an actor that almost never do sequels, him wanting to do a trilogy and enjoying a character that much is pretty huge

I think I read somewhere that Jim picked that song himself.
Yes, it was picked by him. I heard he picked it because it was a song he listened to a lot while younger, but that's not mentioned in the article.
To this day I struggle to accept that this situation wasn't intentional. Like, it's not like anyone looked at that character design and did not say "hmm... Sonic looks hella ugly!!!!" or "He doesn't look like his videogame counterpart at all, be him Classic Sonic or Adventure Sonic". It got them marketing attention and the fact they 100% nailed the rework, even down to more realistic fur. No way it was not intentional. But it wasn't lmao.
They actually produced quite a bit of merch involving that design, so it definitely wasn't intentional.
3622910-spin%20dash%20sonic%203.jpg

Did the DVD get the bad version as an extra?
Kind of, the deleted scenes use the old design due to the early VFX. Including a horrifying version of Baby Sonic that looks closer to how you probably remembered the original design.
v9aklfaovjo41.jpg

While horrible, I really dislike how the internet mob essentially forced a crunch unto the animators of this film.

While horrible, I really dislike how the internet mob essentially forced a crunch unto the animators of this film.
Yeah. Like, you can dislike the original design all you want, I think it's pretty telling that people willingly just ignore that changing an entire design like this 100% forced the animators into crunch time.

I honestly can't remember, was there a strong push demanding for the studio to change the actual design? I thought it was just people naturally reacting negatively to the bad design as you'd expect with reactions on the internet. I remembered it was pretty surprising they were even going back to the drawing board at all since this type of redesign almost never happens once something is revealed. Personally I don't think it's fair to say the internet mob forced crunch on animators when it is the studio paying for the whole thing and setting-up schedules. They either could have ignored the reactions and taken the loss or given more time for animators to change the design.

oh_no.PNG
fea2r.PNG

I actually love derective pikachu. One of my favorite movies tbh. Its a shame we will likely never get another live action pokemon movie

Kind of, the deleted scenes use the old design due to the early VFX. Including a horrifying version of Baby Sonic that looks closer to how you probably remembered the original design.
v9aklfaovjo41.jpg
That makes sense, No point redoing them, or doing the scenes you hadn't yet done as both good and bad.

I love the Detective Pikachu designs. The way some veer into uncanniness or creepiness is apropos, wild animals can be scary in ways the 2D animated show and films don't necessarily always get across. They also did a good job making Mr Mime look like an asshole, Aipom able to switch between cute Gizmo pastiche and nightmarish too-many-teeth rabid animals, and Snubbull look cute but standoffish (I think pairing Watanabe with it was masterful, a truly iconic duo!).

Edit: snip!

I think the Detective Pikachu designs look better in the context of that movie than the Sonic design looked in the context of that old trailer.

Also, I don't think Jim Carry's performance was that good. It felt like him trying to jump back into his 90s persona when he's been divorced from it for decades and it just didn't work as well as something like the Mask or Bruce Almighty.

The design change was for the best, of course, but even then.. I don't think the movie was all that interesting at all; It's the most generic "CGI character amongst real-life actors" formula ever..

the design change and the delay sure gave them the advantage of a lot of good will of people that before was expecting the movie be a trainwreck; It didn't end becoming one, but had they kept their guts and continued with the old design, I think the movie would earn more critcsm on its narrative too.

I'm a tad more interested on the sequel now that they're actually trying to make more a Sonic story than anything tho; But it's surface level to me, because I never liked the setting of having Sonic in the real world, movie or game. :\

The design change was for the best, of course, but even then.. I don't think the movie was all that interesting at all; It's the most generic "CGI character amongst real-life actors" formula ever..

the design change and the delay sure gave them the advantage of a lot of good will of people that before was expecting the movie be a trainwreck; It didn't end becoming one, but had they kept their guts and continued with the old design, I think the movie would earn more critcsm on its narrative too.

I'm a tad more interested on the sequel now that they're actually trying to make more a Sonic story than anything tho; But it's surface level to me, because I never liked the setting of having Sonic in the real world, movie or game. :\
In interviews with the writers they said their first drafts had a story that was much more game-accurate (originally the first movie had Tails and Chaos Emeralds, they said), but studios kept bouncing it back to them because they didn't think it would play well with mainstream audiences. The studios wanted the brand recognition, but not the content. So they forced the "CGI character amongst real-life actors" template on the writers/producers, and they settled for simply sneaking in easter eggs for the fans.

Then the trailer hit.

The backlash didn't only change Sonic's design, btw. People dug around and found concept shots in portfolios of artists who worked on the film that showed a much more realistic home planet for Sonic, and some rando grimdark lizard people were chasing him for his power. During the redesign they changed the planet to reflect Green Hill Zone and changed the lizard people to echidnas, so that first scene would set a wildly different tone than originally set up. Obviously the generic live-action bits wouldn't be reshot after all this time but even though the generic story would remain the CGI stuff was all reconsidered to try and make it more Sonicy.

And it worked. Fans turned up, audiences ate it up, and once Paramount saw that (and the earlier backlash), they had a lot more confidence giving the team more leeway to make a more accurate Sonic movie. So Sonic 2 is sorta the movie the writers/producers were trying to make in the beginning. And since they were pigeonholed into the "Sonic.. but in the real world!" setting, they seem to be trying to give Sonic 2 some Adventure flavor, as that first bit of the trailer gives off strong SA1 Station Square into vibes. So they're trying to do "Sonic in the real world" in a way that's a bit more game-accurate, too.

TL;DR: I think the second one is gonna rock, despite my agreeing that the first one had a generic, boilerplate story.

Personally I don't think it's fair to say the internet mob forced crunch on animators when it is the studio paying for the whole thing and setting-up schedules. They either could have ignored the reactions and taken the loss or given more time for animators to change the design.
Yes. We can't default to "Accept whatever is first seen, or be to blame for everything the bosses do as a result".

TL;DR: I think the second one is gonna rock, despite my agreeing that the first one had a generic, boilerplate story.
At the same time, I do think the original worked for simply giving us decent origin stories for Sonic, his nemesis and their feud, because we KNOW the games aren't ever going there.

And if they're smart, there's plenty there that they could use to build upon the movies' world.

I'm still expecting Robotnik being a genius orphan taken in by the military to be fodder for expanding upon Dr. Gerald and Maria, later. After all, we know Shadow's next on the docket, anyway~

Back
Top Bottom