• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Remember when DK was made unplayable in Mario Party?

DecoReturns

Memento Mori
Mario Party 5.

What does everyone remember about that game for?

The weird twisted metal mode?

A Paper Mario reference with the Stars?

Those damn capsules replacing stores?

Toad finally being playable?

Those damn Koopa Kids?

No. The answer is DK being regelated to a DK space purely for mini game and being your blade against Bowser. Why? Who knows but it’s always been hilarious to me that DK wasn’t playable

Nintendo sometimes does that when it comes to playable reps in their games. I’m still waiting for the Return of Diddy to Mario Kart 😭 (no I ain’t counting Tour)

What ya think Of DK suffering relegation?

I always made the CPU Donkey Kong when I only had three players. Mario Party 5 was designed specifically to spite me.

I've played a Mario Party game a grand total of maybe twice, but I've seen a video of what happens in Mario Party 5 when DK shows up to just clock Bowser. It is a delight.

I always found it weird as a kid and I'm glad that was corrected in later titles. DK is a really fun addition to the roster.

I know many many people loved Mario Party 5 and thought 4 was meh/boring...
But with my father we loved 4 and played a lot of it, and we both found that the lack of playable DK in 5 and the capsules were such weird features.
I prefered 6 and 7 to 5 (and hated 8 because of the boards), but honestly 5 was the beginning of me not liking Mario Party as much anymore.
I played 1, 2 and 3 after 7, and loved them though, so it wasn't much of a nostalgia problem to me. Just prefered the simplicity of the first 4.

They had entered into the post Rareware Donkey Kong years at this point. So many weird decisions for the guy lay ahead. I think this was them trying to "elevate" DK into being on Bowser's level in MP or something.

It's funny, because right as they removed DK from being playable in Mario Party games, they started adding Diddy Kong and the Kremlings to all the Mario sports games lol.

I only remember because this text box is funny to me
96095-mario-party-6-gamecube-screenshot-it-s-a-dk-space.png

I don’t play Mario Party, but this reminds me of the time Waluigi was unplayable in Mario Kart 7. They had his awesome pinball stage, but not the man himself? The disrespect. If he is gonna be relegated to spin-offs only, then he should have 100% attendance!

I never really followed Mario Party games that closely but this OP is interesting. What's this about a twisted metal mode?

Basically, the game has a side mode where you can use the in-game currency you earned playing party games to buy parts and assemble a battle vehicle. Each part type (Frame, Engine, Weapon, and Wheels) has several different options each with unique attributes (Some weapons having homing properties, some have lingering projectiles, some are short range, but powerful, etc). It was a really fun mode as a kid.

The volleyball, card game, and vehicle battle side modes in Mario Party 5 were actually really great and maybe better than the main game?

I remember playing them a lot anyway.🤷‍♂️

The volleyball, card game, and vehicle battle side modes in Mario Party 5 were actually really great and maybe better than the main game?
yeah, ngl I agree. That was way better than the main game by far.

I remember it very well, and being pretty bummed out. I'm surprised it took so long for him to return, honestly. Such a strange decision in a sense. Would've loved to hear the reasoning.

... also this thread reminds me that volleyball in Mario Party 5 rocked.
Not just equal-the only being that can thoroughly ruin Bowser's day.

Hey now, don't forget Waluigi in Mario Party 3!
... speaking of weird disappearances, I still don't get why he wasn't in Martio Kart 7.

I suppose the idea for Donkey Kong to have a role change was to have a generous character as a counterpart to Bowser, which is not a bad idea in itself. It does have some implications like how Donkey Kong is allowed to punch Bowser in Mario Party 5 and how Donkey Kong has minigames in the next two Mario Party games. Though Donkey Kong was not playable at least he appeared in most of the games in between, really only missing out on Island Tour. I suppose when Mario Party 10 gave Donkey Kong the playable spot again, it was something worth celebrating.

I do wonder what would've happen if Rosalina were chosen as the generous character, given how her characterisation more or less felt that way. Maybe some people would prefer her playable, but I would understand if Rosalina were relegated to that role.

Thank you for reading.

DK was my guy in MP4, so 7 year old me was pissed that he wasn't playable in MP5 (as much as I otherwise loved MP5 - it's fantastic)

Back
Top Bottom