• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data RE, Assassins Greed and death stranding mobile port has bombed.

Steve

Tingle
Pronouns
he/him
I'm sure Apple is paying for the ports. Apple needs to change the culture and the technology. They need to convince folks to pay more money for games. They need to convince folks that gaming can be done on their hardware. And they need games to improve their hardware.

Paying for some ports is cheaper than making them games themselves.

Apple is trying to make AAA mobile gaming a reality, when mobile gaming most likely will continue to be casual games and gacha heaven for a long time to come.

I understand the appeal of playing games anywhere, but I just do not see the benefit of playing a game like Death Stranding on a 5 inch screen where I need to use screen buttons or carry a separate controller around.

it's a nice convenience and I think it'll grow over time, but it was never gonna blow up quite this way. this is the long game... and I think it'll pay off.

but yeah, I don't doubt Apple is eating most of the cost.

of course they did, the mobile game market has built its entire foundation on quick pick-up and play games that are heavy on microtransactions, and it's going to need to take more then ports of games already released on consoles to change that

I understand the appeal of playing games anywhere, but I just do not see the benefit of playing a game like Death Stranding on a 5 inch screen where I need to use screen buttons or carry a separate controller around.
I spend a lot of time in tech oriented and handheld related spaces, and know a few people who fall into this category. You can make those experiences worthwhile on a small screen, but you will need some kind of dedicated controller solution. Things like a Backbone style pads or mounts aren't terribly uncommon. The real issue comes into play with performance, battery, and heat. There's also cost being a thing and culture and blah blah.

I think there's a real demand and a real reason for people to want something like this. It's not a "oh just pull out of my pocket while I'm in line" demand that people tend to think of with mobile games. It's more for people who can't be tethered to a TV/monitor and still want decent dedicated gaming time, and those people will make compromises like keeping extra hardware in a bag. I think the problem for Apple is those people already bought a Switch (I do think this is a big factor in that success) or a PC handheld. If people are that pressed for wanting dedicated mobile games of fully featured titles they are probably dedicated enough to make those investments right now. I don't really know how Apple plans to work around that, but I think they are aiming more to eventually capture that crowd rather than the Candy Crushers.

To look at this from a different perspective, these games are cross-buy with the Mac (and Apple TV?) versions, and Apple paying to get Mac ports of big AAA titles is a good thing for consumers and the industry.

This was always transparently a marketing flex by Apple. Phones have never really been able to sustain a market for traditional games, for a wide variety of reasons. Even Apple Arcade largely seems to have served as early access for Switch games.

I don't really see this situation ever changing, especially not on a platform with Apple at the helm. Several of Apple's core philosophies are in conflict with cultivating a strong gaming platform.

I didn’t expect them to be hit sellers, but how are these estimates accurately made?
The article itself provides two projections with one negative and another more optimistic.
So what’s the overall conclusion?
Moreover, these mobile ports are for 1 SKU; iPhone 15 Pro (Max) and iPad Pro.
Some of them have cross buy and family sharing. So depending on the cumulative stastics, the overall benefits bomb factor might not be that bad.

Eitherway, Apple is paying for these specific ports and I’ll keep enjoying them, it’s not for everyone for sure, but for the longer term these ports and strategy should pay off and pave the way of something they always wanted with their platform, top to bottom support. Perhaps, because I’m tracking everything more closely, by perspective may be warped, but their all in strategy is a lot different compared to the past w.r.t. gaming for their platform(s).

Moreover, Capcom is still going to bring new titles, with RE7 coming soon and RE2, both for iPhone. That’s all being done in-house, with their engine supporting the Apple ecosystem.

The good thing is that you’re also free to try most of these games and see for yourself if the experience is up to your standards. Nice party trick for some, but for others a new way to play.

playing something like Death Stranding on a phone sounds horrific to me but to be honest not that much worse than playing something like Monster Hunter on a handheld so i've never understood any of this stuff

Apple doesn't care about AAA games cuz they already make tons from ridiculous commission fees. They only put gaming stuff in their presentation bcuz they have nothing else to show. If they did care about AAA games they would have put more effort on mac first.

I wouldn't call this a "bomb", they're only playable on select iPhone and iPad models (15 and the new iPad?) and they did not move enough numbers anyway. Apple probably moneyhatted ports just to show off. I doubt they had any serious plans for gaming on iphones or iPads.

I wouldn't call this a "bomb", they're only playable on select iPhone and iPad models (15 and the new iPad?) and they did not move enough numbers anyway. Apple probably moneyhatted ports just to show off. I doubt they had any serious plans for gaming on iphones or iPads.
and Macbooks

Now if you're playing the game on a telephone, you will never in a trillion years experience the game.
You'll think you have experienced it... but you'll be cheated.
It's such a sadness that you think you've played a game on your FUCKING TELEPHONE.
GET REAL!

Last edited:
3,000 sales is beyond abysmal, like genuinely undescribably bad. Definitely below even their most conservative forecast.

3,000 sales is beyond abysmal, like genuinely undescribably bad. Definitely below even their most conservative forecast.
I don't think Apple forcasted anything, i don't even think they expected these to sell. iPhone 15 sales were not that good to begin with, only a very tiny fraction of it used their new gear to play battery eating games.

I'm guessing we'll see the approach that Netflix is doing and add games on some sort of subscription service, maybe in apple tv.

Since it's been a decent endevour for Netflix.

Subscription services aren't even working properly for Microsoft with all the money they've invested on traditional consoles, I'm not sure there's a market for it on mobile.

It's probably just far too late to try and reverse course on the mobile market

I'm sure Apple is paying for the ports. Apple needs to change the culture and the technology. They need to convince folks to pay more money for games. They need to convince folks that gaming can be done on their hardware. And they need games to improve their hardware.

Paying for some ports is cheaper than making them games themselves.
I don't think they can change the culture , which their own App store encouraged.

And frankly, they are probably fine collecting royalties on predatory mobile gatcha games and reinvesting a tiny amount on prestige projects that only a tiny fraction of their devices can run to say 'hey we have console experiences too'.
I don't think they have any interest being in a high risk low ROI space.

I think is funny that I have seen plenty of Switch haters saying that the console sucks because you can get better graphics even on mobile, although never considering that cellphones games often are their own thing, not comparable with console experience.

Well here we have a console quality experience on mobile and it didn't sell well.

I think is funny that I have seen plenty of Switch haters saying that the console sucks because you can get better graphics even on mobile, although never considering that cellphones games often are their own thing, not comparable with console experience.

Well here we have a console quality experience on mobile and it didn't sell well.
bad faith arguments.

If they are serious about trying to get mobile gamers into more traditional gaming experiences, then they’ll have to seriously pump money into this in the long term. I completely agree with the folks above saying that the mobile gamers have been conditioned in a certain way, in part by the ecosystem providers themselves. If you want to change how people on your platform view these gaming offerings, then you’ll need to re-condition them, and that takes a lot of time, and thus a lot of money, too. And I doubt either Apple or Google have the will to see this through.

An iPhone also costs 1500, terrible argument lol.

Capcom wasted time porting these to Apple (an American company) instead of bringing them to Switch (made by a Japanese company)?
I suspect it’s likely they viewed the not inconsiderable donation from Apple for a daft vanity project to not be a waste of their resources vs the time investment, rather than a choice between iPhone and Switch.

Questionable methodology aside, I feel like this was fairly obvious and something Apple and the developers already took into account. They're going to have an uphill battle making premium games of this calibre enticing for their audience but you have to start somewhere. And even if this ultimately goes nowhere: If Apple who has more money than god is fine with footing the bill on a version of the game that a handful of people get to enjoy and these devs in turn get to make their engines compatible with mobile hardware... who cares?

The silly thing is that there are already console quality experiences on mobile.

I think a lot of these were paid by Apple anyway, so I don't think it's a huge lost on the publisher end of things.

I mean, in the end there's a reason Nintendo didn't do anymore "buy at "full price" games" on mobile anymore after Super Mario Run.

In the end, this is "prestige" for Apple, so i don't think they're disappointed, nor do i think the devs didn't at least get enough financial support to not make these projects result in some loss.

Boy oh BOY ! Do I want to spend 60 € on a game for the mobile I spent 1500 € to get in the first place while almost everything is free to play ? Golly gosh, I wonder what will I choose ! And to quote Barry Burton : JUST-GET-A-LOOK-AT-THIS ! IT'S FOREST the same games (well except the last AC) for 10 bucks on Steam / PS5 / Series X !

These are not "Tech Demos", these are full-fledged games, not scoped down mobile only versions, where the respective developers have switch their engine to support this platform.
Moreover, I said it before, but the report on the website provides two different projections;
Our calculations, based on Appfigures estimates, suggest that under 3,000 people have paid $49.99 to play Assassin’s Creed Mirage on iPhone since it launched on June 6. It has been downloaded approximately 123k times, with gross revenue of $138k to date, says Appfigures.
Appfigures estimates suggest Resident Evil 4 has been downloaded 357k times, with revenue estimated to be $208k. Based on the game’s $29.99 price tag this suggests that roughly 7,000 people have paid to unlock the full game in its six months on the market.
Appmagic, another data firm, has more optimistic estimates. Its data suggests Assassin’s Creed Mirage stands at around $221k revenue (not including Apple and Google’s 30%) from 279k downloads, meaning around 5,750 players have paid to unlock the full game. Resident Evil 4 is on around 710k lifetime downloads since launch six months ago, having earned Capcom around $347k to date. That suggests that just 15,000 people have paid $29.99 to unlock the full game in its six months of release.

Just look at the number and the relative difference, some of them are double 😅 . These games at launch have had sales and still have sales, so it's not like you can't find a good deal on them relative to other stores; Death Stranding is $19.99 at the moment and RE4 is $29.99, both of them are cross-buy (iPad, Mac) so if these projects are based on only iPhone numbers, which again don't cover much of the market. Then that's skewed imo.

I was already curious on how much of a success they were, because neither Capcom nor 505 Games have reported yet on the actual numbers, but I'm seeing this article in multiple places now with full trust in their numbers, and it's not really unsurprising that this release isn't a giga million seller hits for the platform, but the conclusion on them being a bomb is something the website describes as their own. It's all relative to w/e the publishers expect.

Of course consumer expectations matter too, if the performance of the port isn't up to par and the higher relative price of apps compared to a mostly f2p model doesn't work out, then it's mostly a dead-end, but for now I'll just cherish what's being released so far.

Questionable methodology aside, I feel like this was fairly obvious and something Apple and the developers already took into account. They're going to have an uphill battle making premium games of this calibre enticing for their audience but you have to start somewhere. And even if this ultimately goes nowhere: If Apple who has more money than god is fine with footing the bill on a version of the game that a handful of people get to enjoy and these devs in turn get to make their engines compatible with mobile hardware... who cares?

It's not only mobile hardware, most of these releases are done in-house and having support for one device in the MacOS platform, means all of them are supported due to their shared architecture. Essentially what Apple is promising is a full vertical integration of your game and engine for all of their devices, and if w/e next base iPhone can be the baseline, then this strategy could pay off if the experience and price is good enough. The GPU in these devices are "mobile hardware", but the feature set is getting competent enough to not be seen that way any more.

Indie devs are still doomed though, because Apple devices are expensive, and there's recurring dev licence fees.

I don't think they can change the culture , which their own App store encouraged.

And frankly, they are probably fine collecting royalties on predatory mobile gatcha games and reinvesting a tiny amount on prestige projects that only a tiny fraction of their devices can run to say 'hey we have console experiences too'.
I don't think they have any interest being in a high risk low ROI space.
I don't think you're wrong, but I don't think this effort is just about phones. Apple has unified their hardware and software architectures across all their product lines. They're the premier platform for video and image editing, while no longer offering world class GPUs. And gaming is the only aspect of the Windows desktop market where Apple is not at least a B tier platform.

I think you're right that this is mostly a prestige product to make their high end products look good. But it's part of a larger investment in gaming that I think is a little more strategic.

Back
Top Bottom