• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Rating games by a 4 Quadrant Diagram

This thread is...

• good, but I don't like it?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Metroid

Enemy of the Process Believe in Progress #BiP
Pronouns
He/him
unknown-1.png

unknown-1.png
A friend of mine made this rough template years ago and we had a blast discussing it. She and I agreed that whether a game is good or not has nothing to do with you liking or disliking it. I think it explains itself! If not, I've included two of my own simple examples.

markup_94.png

unknown-2.png

Basically, the games up towards fucking rules are the ones I enjoy playing, regardless of how well they are constructed and fully realized. The opposite is true towards fucking sucks. Upper left is just a high quality time, upper right is a guilty pleasure or maybe just a game that surprised you, bottom left is what I classify as a game that is just a disappointment to me, and bottom right is misery incarnate.

Lastly, this thread is just for fun, I don't expect anyone to put more than 2 seconds of effort into it, and even less thought. Enjoy or not, regard game as good or bad, at the end of the say it's all still just opinions.

I hope this isn't stepping on @hologram and Famicritic's toes...

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting idea.

Good and I love it: Pokémon Black & White
Bad and I love it: Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
Good but I hate it: Pokémon Diamond & Pearl
Bad and I hate it: Pokémon Sword & Shield.

Ooh I like this! I have two minor suggestions:
1. I think rather than the game "rules" or "sucks" it should more explicitly just be "I like this game" or "I don't like this game". I 100% agree that "I like this game" and "this game is good" don't mean the same thing, but "this game fucking rules" kinda splits the differences a little IMO
2. This is pedantic but I would prefer if "this game is good" were on the right not the left lmao
Lastly, this thread is just for fun, I don't expect anyone to put more than 2 seconds of effort into it, and even less thought.
Oh... oh no...
I hope this isn't stepping on @hologram and Famicritic's toes...
Not at all!

Hmmm, interesting idea.

Good and I love it: Pokémon Black & White
Bad and I love it: Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
Good but I hate it: Pokémon Diamond & Pearl
Bad and I hate it: Pokémon Sword & Shield.
Yeah, you get it!

Ooh I like this! I have two minor suggestions:
1. I think rather than the game "rules" or "sucks" it should more explicitly just be "I like this game" or "I don't like this game". I 100% agree that "I like this game" and "this game is good" don't mean the same thing, but "this game fucking rules" kinda splits the differences a little IMO
2. This is pedantic but I would prefer if "this game is good" were on the right not the left lmao
Oh I agree with you on both counts, this is just how my friend cooked it up and I was too lazy to make a new template.

Yes I'm on board with it.

I have a gripe with your labels, it's not clear enough that one axis is how much you enjoy the game and other is how you "objectively"/technically rate its quality.

It should be more like "I love this game" and "I hate this game" on the y axis

Edit - beaten by Hologram

@once again another political compass where lib left is superior

No time to paint, but here with a hot take:

Pikmin 4​
Pikmin 3​
Pikmin 1​
Pikmin 2​
Hey! Pikmin

Oh I agree with you on both counts, this is just how my friend cooked it up and I was too lazy to make a new template.
Right, hence
Lastly, this thread is just for fun, I don't expect anyone to put more than 2 seconds of effort into it, and even less thought.
and subsequently
Oh... oh no...
lol

Here's a few:
Good and I like it - Metroid Dread
Good and I don't like it - Hollow Knight
Bad and I like it - Pokémon Shield
Bad and I don't like it - uhhh... this one's hard

Yeah, this is great. I'll think about this some today.

I personally can't stand these kind of charts for anything. Hard numbers are much better because that way you know which ones are better than others definitively.

I love the idea and it's pretty close to how I already describe my experiences with games so I love the validation on that front.

But.

Resident Evil 6 in the bottom-right quadrant? Tragic :'(

Good and I like it: Dark Souls
Good, but I hate it: Pokémon
Bad, but I like it: Hyperdimension Neptunia (well, "bad" in air quotes, it has been collectively decided that these games are bad at which I, a true connoiseur with superior tastes, can only scoff)
Bad and I hate it: Borderlands

This is one of those gamer things I will never understand. Why would I like a game that's bad?
To give an analogy, Pacific Rim has absolutely no character development, a fairly generic storyline, and is overall kinda bland if you scratch beneath the surface. It was never going to win an Oscar.

And it's still one of the greatest Kaiju films ever made for the battle sequences and carried by the gravitas of Idris Elba and I will die on this hill given that it's one of my top ten favourite movies in the last decade.

E: what hologram said lol

This is one of those gamer things I will never understand. Why would I like a game that's bad?
I mean, "bad" is in the eye of the beholder and in the case of video games, I tend to read "bad" more as the opposite to "has mass market appeal", at least, when mainstream consensus is concerned.

Hence why I picked HDN as my "bad but I like it" pick, because, while it is rough around the edges at times and the humour can be an acquired taste, I still feel joy and it is well-made enough to satiate what I want out of it and what I know I'm getting out of it.

I would argue this is actually more common in film than games. Given the time investment, people tend to prefer playing games they find good, but "guilty pleasures" in film are a whole thing
The active participation does make it more difficult to find "guilty pleasure" games

ZC6l6R3.jpg

Sorry for the mess. The 'Cube is too loaded.

Pikmin 2 and Viewtiful Joe are not pictured because they are too far to the top left.
kirby air ride should be at the very top left tf

I can only do text rn and I think all games I like are good:

good and I like it: professor layton
bad and I like it: one piece unlimited cruise 1+2
good (I gues..) but I hate it: persona 5
bad and i hate it: heavy rain
i know it's only but i like it: rock n roll

there is no theme 🤯

good game and I like game: Forza Horizon 3

Bad game but I like game: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1

good game but I don't like game: The last of us 2

bad game and I don't like game: Evolution Skateboarding

ZC6l6R3.jpg

Sorry for the mess. The 'Cube is too loaded.

Pikmin 2 and Viewtiful Joe are not pictured because they are too far to the top left.
I respect your opinions; though I would personally swap the positions of Mario Party 4 & 5 and Starfox Adventures and Assault respectively, I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of SA2 City Escape

(Also where's Mario Party 6/7 and Pokemon XD?)

how did you make this? did you just drag and drop boxarts in paint or is there an easier way?
I used Preview on Mac. Opened the OP's image in Preview, then copy and pasted from Google Images. I bet there is a better solution!
I respect your opinions; though I would personally swap the positions of Mario Party 4 & 5 and Starfox Adventures and Assault respectively, I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of SA2 City Escape

(Also where's Mario Party 6/7 and Pokemon XD?)
I never played much of 6/7 after not caring much for 4/5. I also never played XD because Colosseum got so stupid hard at the end.

I added an updated template to the OP that I feel a little better about.

I would argue this is actually more common in film than games. Given the time investment, people tend to prefer playing games they find good, but "guilty pleasures" in film are a whole thing

To give an analogy, Pacific Rim has absolutely no character development, a fairly generic storyline, and is overall kinda bland if you scratch beneath the surface. It was never going to win an Oscar.

And it's still one of the greatest Kaiju films ever made for the battle sequences and carried by the gravitas of Idris Elba and I will die on this hill given that it's one of my top ten favourite movies in the last decade.

E: what hologram said lol

I mean, "bad" is in the eye of the beholder and in the case of video games, I tend to read "bad" more as the opposite to "has mass market appeal", at least, when mainstream consensus is concerned.

Hence why I picked HDN as my "bad but I like it" pick, because, while it is rough around the edges at times and the humour can be an acquired taste, I still feel joy and it is well-made enough to satiate what I want out of it and what I know I'm getting out of it.
So what I'm getting here is that you're all just not confident enough in your hot takes.

My brain is hurting trying to quantify this and I'm definitely putting too much thought into this. I think I have to change good and bad to generally loved/maligned because I'm struggling to say kinda trashy/janky = bad or I personally found this unplayable = good.

Pokémon in general lives in the top right zone I think.

Like, should you, a newbie, jump in and try the switch games? No don't they're bad
But how do I feel about sword and violet? I love them yeah

Back
Top Bottom