• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Prediction Time - Which is likelier to show at the upcoming Direct, Metroid Prime 4 or FE4 Remake?

Which is likelier to show up in this upcoming Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
Both of these games have been long expected to show up at Nintendo Directs - we, in fact, went most of the life of the Switch expecting these games. The Fire Emblem remake has been rumored since the 3DS days, and it got traction after Three Houses released on the Switch. Various credible sources have indicated the game is complete, and Nintendo is just sitting on it at this point.

On the other hand, there is Metroid Prime 4. This game was announced back in June 2017, and has since not been shown even once in any Nintendo presentation. The development for this game was rebooted five years ago, and after the shadow dropped Prime remaster last year, expectations are that this game is around the corner. Nintendo certainly needs a "big" zeitgeist game for this year, and Prime 4, while not necessarily being a big seller, could fit that mold.

So which of these games is likelier to show up in this Direct? This is not a question of which will show (or if both will). I am asking which of the two you think is likelier.

Vote away!

I am going with Fire Emblem. We know Intelligent Systems' output is pretty solid, and a lot of signs point to Nintendo sitting on it for release. Compared to Prime 4, which I think has still been up in the air where it is in the development process... I just think I am more confident in that game being ready to go than Prime 4 is.

Prime 4 on the basis we actually know for a fact it exists.

Not saying it is, but Fire Emblem could be a load of hogwash for all we know.
We know for certain that something exists, or at the very least existed at some point. Engage's internal codename is Iron19, despite it being the 18th game and Three Houses being Iron17 internally. That confirms that there was a game that started development between the two. Could it have been canceled? Technically yes, but Nate has been very consistent on the game being complete and sat on, and I recall it was also mentioned as being real by someone who leaked information and screenshots of Engage prior to it's announcement

Neither. Both upgraded to Switch 2 launch.

Nintendo ending the switch 1 on a huge seller. A series that hits 10 million sales. The new Triple AAA monster is a series Nintendo has:

Mario Party!

In All seriousness, probably Fire Emblem. I think Prime 4 will be the swan song of the switch for major releases and be saved for later. Tho it is possible for both to show up honestly.

I'm pessimistic enough to believe neither shows, but of the two I think Genealogy is more likely.

At this point I don't think Prime 4 resurfaces until the Switch 2 is announced.

Prime 4.

Like, in regards to Fire Emblem, it's time.

But in regards to Prime 4, it's time.

After watching Nate's podcast, I can see Nintendo holding off the reveal of Prime 4 for the Switch 2 reveal and making the game cross-gen. As for FE, I really have no opinion.

They can delay FE4 as much as they want, as it's a remake in the end. Could be "life extender" kind of game for Switch.

But if they want MP4 to be the swan song for Switch now is the best time.

I'm 50/50 on which is more likely here

Metroid Prime 4 should have something ready to be shown by now after 5 years of development at Retro Studios but who knows if Nintendo wants to do a cross gen release

The Genealogy remake has been rumoured for years and the FE codenames having one missing between Three Houses and Engage does suggest something is or was being worked on in between those games. It sounds like something Intelligent Systems might have had finished for a while like Engage and Paper Mario so it could pop up anytime by the sounds of it

Ended up letting my Fire Emblem bias make my choice here but I would love to see both (please Nintendo please)

Have they ever released a game on the successor hardware only which was originally announced for the then current console?
Super Paper Mario and Donkey Kong: Jet Race were originally announced as GameCube titles before being released as Wii exclusives

Huh, so moving Prime 4 from Switch to the succ wouldn’t be completely out of the question, then.

Which would make FE4 showing up more likely in my book, if we believe the rumours surrounding it and its completion.

Given that they're going to release a successor console next year and this Direct has been confirmed by Nintendo to only be about the current console, I'll vote for the series that has a history of having late-in-console-lifespan releases dating back to the Famicom all the way up to the 3DS and not the one that would make a ton of sense to be a graphical showcase for the successor.

Given that they're going to release a successor console next year and this Direct has been confirmed by Nintendo to only be about the current console, I'll vote for the series that has a history of having late-in-console-lifespan releases dating back to the Famicom all the way up to the 3DS and not the one that would make a ton of sense to be a graphical showcase for the successor.
The funny thing is Metroid and Fire Emblem both have a long history of releasing EOL lol

Prime 4 on the basis we actually know for a fact it exists.

Not saying it is, but Fire Emblem could be a load of hogwash for all we know.
Same. Prime 4 is real. We have no doubt.

FE4 is highly rumored, but that doesn't mean that it's coming anytime soon or even that it's coming at all.

The funny thing is Metroid and Fire Emblem both have a long history of releasing EOL lol

Metroid doesn't outside of the remakes? Metroid 1 and 2 were pretty early releases, Super came out two years before the N64, Prime and Fusion came out a year or two after the GBA/Gamecube, Prime 2 came out two years before the Wii, Prime 3 was a year 1 Wii release, Prime Pinball and Hunters came out a year or two after the DS, Other M was two years before the Wii U, Federation Force was in the middle of the 3DS's life. Meanwhile the NES, SNES, GBA, Gamecube, DS, and 3DS all had Fire Emblem games that came out towards the end or even after the successor console released. NES, SNES, and 3DS all had after, and GBA did for the global localization of Sacred Stones, though the Japanese release came out weeks before the DS.

Metroid doesn't outside of the remakes? Metroid 1 and 2 were pretty early releases, Super came out two years before the N64, Prime and Fusion came out a year or two after the GBA/Gamecube, Prime 2 came out two years before the Wii, Prime 3 was a year 1 Wii release, Prime Pinball and Hunters came out a year or two after the DS, Other M was two years before the Wii U, Federation Force was in the middle of the 3DS's life. Meanwhile the NES, SNES, GBA, Gamecube, DS, and 3DS all had Fire Emblem games that came out towards the end or even after the successor console released. NES, SNES, and 3DS all had after, and GBA did for the global localization of Sacred Stones, though the Japanese release came out weeks before the DS.
Super Metroid: SNES 1994
Zero Mission: GBA 2005
Other M: Wii 2010
Samus Returns: 3DS 2017

There are many major Metroid games that don't fit the pattern, yes, but there are also several major FE games that don't fit the pattern.

In the end both have frequently been used as EOL stocking stuffers, so neither is disqualified on that basis.

I voted for Metroid based on the fact that it's an actual announced game and not a rumor that's been floating around for like 3 years now.

My totally unscientific, untestable likelihood percentages

Fire Emblem 4 remake - 50%
Metroid Prime 4 - 30%
New mainline Donkey Kong game - 10%

We actually only know of one of them officially existing, but FE (and remake to boot) feels like a better fit for end of life console. Versus Prime or DK, which Nintendo might want to position as Big Deals™

Metroid Prime 4.

I'd argue, even the fact that it may be a launch title for Switch2, is hardly any reason to not show it, especially if it is cross-gen. Nintendo could do what they did with Breath of the Wild - we weren't privy to the fact that it would be coming to both Wii U and Switch until the Switch's reveal in October 2016 and I can see them repeating this strategy with Metroid Prime 4. Don't say anything about a date other than a vague "2025", show a snippet or two of Samus fighting something to show off the visual language and that's that.

And then, once you get close to the Switch2 reveal, you show off more and reveal the title together with the system.

Fire Emblem 4 Remake- 65%
Metroid Prime 4- 34%
Eternal Darkness 2- 1%

I think that Metroid needs a little longer to go. I'm guessing that it is a 1st Half 2025 game. Fire Emblem this fall makes sense.

prime-4.jpg

we weren't privy to the fact that it would be coming to both Wii U and Switch until the Switch's reveal in October 2016
Untrue actually, they confirmed in March 2016 it would hit both systems (though it being a Switch launch game, while widely expected, was not officially confirmed until the January 2017 presentation).

The rest of your point stands though, i just wanted to nitpick that.

Metroid Prime 4 actually officially exists. FE4 is half leaker rumor and half "literally made up on Era" and has never been publicly mentioned.

Commercially speaking... despite them both selling about the same, I feel like a Fire Emblem RPG Year 1 of Switch 2 is more valuable to them than Metroid UNLESS Prime 4 really turned out super well and they gave Retro budget to give it a significant upgrade for Switch 2 - I feel like Metroid is a Switch 1 game through and through and is much better served in a quieter holiday to target the core gamers who are maybe not liking the holiday lineup on other platforms, alongside a Mario Party for the casuals.

I just continue to feel that Prime 4 makes so much more sense as a core-gamer focused TLOU Pt 2/Ghost Of Tsushima style pre-next gen release swansong rather than getting lost amongst what is shaping up to be a big year for releases in 2025, while Fire Emblem brings the key anime-RPG fanbase to the new console in year 1 or is a substantial release for the original Switch hardware for those who haven't switched yet.

Last edited:
Thracia 776 came out on the Super Famicom in 2000. One year before the Gamecube launched. That's not even end of life, that's afterlife.

I think MP4 is 100% being tied to the Switch 2 reveal/launch lineup, so I'll go with the game we don't even know for sure exists, lol.

I’ve been reading rumours that the FE4 remake has been complete or near to it, for 2 years at this point, now’s the time to drop it

It's still entirely possible FE4 doesn't exist lol.

It almost certainly does but it's still not a fact just yet.

Either it'll show in a September direct or it never existed.
Probably best for Fire Emblem to take a bit of a break. It's not like we're lacking in JRPGS this year

Back
Top Bottom