• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Pokémon Music Thread Part 3 - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

N75

Like Like
RS_Music_Super_Complete.png
RS_Music_Super_Complete_back.png

Generation III time! This of course encompasses Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.​

Overview
We've reached the era where the games can now emulate actual instruments...well try to anyway. It's no secret that the GBA's sound system wasn't exactly cutting-edge. Regardless, I think Game Freak knew its strengths and weaknesses well, which resulted in some standout tracks. The memes don't lie, this was the generation of "trumpets", or rather french horns. The whole soundtrack is filled with brass, matching the energetic tropical theme of Hoenn. It's a major shift in instrumentation that no doubt turned some people off, especially when the games were new. This change could possibly be attributed to the change of the lead composer, but I'll go more into that later on. Despite all the differences, the soundtrack still captured that sense of adventure that the series is known for.

Composers

Go Ichinose

v3fqisN.png

With Masuda taking the role of series director after Satoshi Tajiri stepped back, Ichinose steps in as the music lead for the first and certainly not the last time. His excellent track record continues in all areas. Take Slateport City, Route 113, and Dewford Town. Three field tracks that are vastly different in tone and instrumentation, while fitting their environment. This was also were Ichinose's love of bass was made perfectly clear. You can listen to the Hideout theme for evidence of that. Even though he didn't compose any battle themes for Ruby/Sapphire, his work stands out to me as the best in the game. Speaking of battle themes, I believe the Frontier Brain theme was his first original battle composition, and it's personally one of my favourites.

Full list of Ichinose's work in RS
Full list of Ichinose's work in Emerald

Morikazu Aoki
Rkco9Rc.png

Good news is that Aoki leaves a much stronger impression this time in comparison to his GSC work, the bad news is that he would leave Game Freak sometime after the release of Ruby/Sapphire to work at AlphaDream. His tracks compliment Ichinose's very well, leaning into the upbeat and sometimes mysterious nature of Hoenn. Again for comparison, he composed Surf, Petalburg City, and Abandoned Ship. It's a shame he left the series so early, but at least he went out on a strong note.

Full list of Aoki's work in RS

Junichi Masuda
y2GHafa.png

As mentioned, Masuda becoming series director means that his contributions this time are almost all battle themes. However, as the battle themes are some of the tracks you'll hear the most throughout the game, he still had to put in a lot of work here. Masuda uses the game's instrument bank very effectively. The brass really gives the battles a sense of energy and urgency, even the Wild Battle theme were you're fighting countless Zigzagoon and Poochyena. If I had to pick a favourite, I would say that the Elite Four theme has the strongest melody.

Full list of Masuda's work in RS
Full list (lol) of Masuda's work in Emerald

Hitomi Sato
7112-1480781318.png

Like Ichinose, Sato was initially hired as a game designer, being previously credited on Crystal, RS, and FRLG. When Aoki left the company, Masuda and Ichinose asked her to contribute a single track for Emerald. There's honestly not much to say here. Her arrangement of the Battle Tower is better than the RS version, but we don't really get a sense of her musical style at all. That wouldn't come until later.

(Very big) List of Sato's work in Emerald

Notable Tracks

Last edited:
I know I said that I'd only probably skip Let's Go and BDSP, but I may skip FRLG as well and go straight to DPPt. FRLG is mostly Ichinose arranging the Gen I tracks with the Gen 3 instruments or ones that sound similar. There isn't a whole lot to talk about, unlike HGSS which was the debut of another GF composer and takes more liberties with its arrangements.

Hitomi Sato the goat with the Route 113 music.

That's probably my favorite route theme of all time.

I've always loved the Gym Leader battle theme, not sure what it is specifically, but it's definitely one of my favorites in the series along gen 5 and 8's. I think it really captures the feeling of the up and down of an intense Pokemon battle, the triumphant sound mixed with the more dramatic and intense notes.

People meme about trumpets - for good reason! - but this game does have a stellar soundtrack. I think overall my favorite OSTs are from gen 1, 2, and 5, but there's some great tunes in this game that the ORAS remixes never really fully recaptured the magic of.

The Regi theme is also fantastic even if most players probably won't hear it. Really nails the feeling of finding an ancient, strange Pokemon.

I was gonna mention the Deoxys theme but I guess technically that debuted in FRLG first (not that most players would hear it either).

Quoted by: N75
I was gonna mention the Deoxys theme but I guess technically that debuted in FRLG first (not that most players would hear it either).
I forgot about the Deoxys theme. Maybe I should just add it since I don't think I'm posting a thread for FRLG.

I'm always confused when people say the iconic gen 3 sound isn't trumpets but french horns. To me the most prominent sounds are the higher pitched ones, definitely sound more like trumpets than french horns to me, but I'm not an expert or anything.

Hoenn really excels in the mysterious, almost otherworldly tracks like Mt Pyre Exterior, Abandoned Ship, Sealed Chamber, Deoxys Battle, Regis Battle…
It’s pretty weak in normal battle themes though I feel, it’s the overworld ones that carry it

Back
Top Bottom