• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Pokémon Scarlet And Violet Concept Art Reveals Game Freak's Visual Approach

Bishop89

Piranha Plant
Nintendo Life
During a CEDEC Awards panel in Japan, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet developer Game Freak has revealed an early piece of concept art from the latest mainline entries, showcasing the team's initial approach in regards to the project's visuals.

As relayed by Serebii's Joe Merrick, Game Freak had conceptualised an idea called "real and deformed", in which the background and environment of the game would be more realistic than than the previous games (Sword and Shield), while the Pokémon and human characters would take on a more stylised look.

F4NT-2SX0AAauen

I quite like the outfit the PC is wearing. I wonder at what point they decided to make the school theme, because that outfit looks more like an explorer than a student.

Between this and PLA, I can see their vision for the art style and art direction but the textures are too muddy so it ruins it.

They need more time. Cool they showed this though.

I hate to be one of those "the concept art looks better" guys and I understand there are reasons why it is that way....

but damn the concept art looks better

Can't wait for the full translation, since it seems to go pretty in-depth regarding the game's engine, even if I'll barely understand most of the jargon.

I know it's concept art, but it looks 3D based. reminds me of some asset packs you can get for Unity.

*not a bad thing

I don't understand why the games don't do everything in their power to match the world of the Pokémon anime series. Everything feels so real and fleshed out there.
because the cartoon is an adaptation of the game. and they can't make a world design that's expansive as the cartoon while keeping it open

not gonna lie, I'm biased against the Ash cartoon. so not resembling it isn't a fault, lol

but as far as level design goes, the concept art is definitely more suited for a broken up world design akin to Dragon Quest 11 or Pokemon Legends Arceus. it does allow for more denser environments, which better sells the natural environments. that said, I wonder if attempting to mimic the layout (as I mentioned, it looks like a paint over of a 3D environment) caused them to see the limitations of their tools. it's much denser than even Legends.

the CEDEC slides are up. their engine is, in fact, greatly improved. it just performs like dooky

The concept art looks more like Zelda, which is a good thing.

Let's wait and see how Pokemon will look on the Switch 2 and how many people will still blame the hardware.

The concept art looks more like Zelda, which is a good thing.

Let's wait and see how Pokemon will look on the Switch 2 and how many people will still blame the hardware.
I think it was clear that hardware wasn't the issue. but seeing the slides and how they upgraded the renderer, I think the problem is that they came in way too hot and didn't have much way to hard test the performance of them. the game looks like they had to pair back detail to keep from overloading their systems

I think it was clear that hardware wasn't the issue. but seeing the slides and how they upgraded the renderer, I think the problem is that they came in way too hot and didn't have much way to hard test the performance of them. the game looks like they had to pair back detail to keep from overloading their systems
Which might explain why that first area (Poco Path) is so detailed and full of stuff and then as you head further away from it, thing get few and far between.

The problem here is that the concept art is for a mythical game that was allowed to cook for an extra year, which is illegal according to TPC

Imagine if Arceus, BDSP, and SV hadn’t been crammed into the same year. They might have actually been able to make something presentable

The problem here is that the concept art is for a mythical game that was allowed to cook for an extra year, which is illegal according to TPC

Imagine if Arceus, BDSP, and SV hadn’t been crammed into the same year. They might have actually been able to make something presentable
I don't think an extra year will get you a game with that kind of density. that's a fundamental difference in level design that has to happen at the start of development

Which might explain why that first area (Poco Path) is so detailed and full of stuff and then as you head further away from it, thing get few and far between.
I feel like this is the case most of the time.

For example, Littleroot Town feels way more detailed than Verdanturf Town despite being pretty similar towns. Like patches of grass growing from the houses, houses having little paved entrances, and the bigger variety of trees, etc.

Littleroot_Town_ORAS.png

Verdanturf_Town_ORAS.png

I think they just put extra effort into making the early areas look better so that it makes a good impression starting out.
IIRC New Bark Town in HGSS also feels a bit more detailed than some of the other towns in the game

I really like SV but it was very apparent how bare the game was overall. I agree I feel Pokemon would probably be best following the DQ11 mold but gotta meet those deadlines to sell merchandise.

Back
Top Bottom