• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Pokémon never followed up on Palworld legal threat, developer reveals

Belinda Blumenthal

Sales Director
Monster hit Palworld is yet to receive any formal legal threat from Nintendo or The Pokémon Company, the game's developer has confirmed, despite continuing close comparisons between its creature designs.

Palworld's breakout success at the beginning of this year - and its obvious similarities to Pokémon - prompted a rare public statement from The Pokémon Company, which pledged to "investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon".

But, speaking to GameFile, Palworld creator Takuro Mizobe said that threat was never followed up behind the scenes.

OM0kvUD.gif

Surprising nobody I fear.

clearly these people don't speak PR

I'd bet money they did in fact follow through with their threat to investigate and take any appropriate legal action (of which there was none)

Nintendo has them right where they want them. Legal battles take time, and a company as big as Nintendo can take as much time as they need. These fools are so desperate for press after the game died off that they’re taunting Nintendo? Good luck.

My wild theory is that a legal action would have meant free marketing for palworld and TPC is only waiting a better timing.

After the release month nobody talked about palworld anymore.

Last edited:
I don't think TPC and Nintendo wants Palworld on Switch 2.
Yo-kai Watch on the 3DS was a huge hit in Japan and the Japanese community at the time said Pokemon had been defeated. ...until Pokemon GO was released.
pokemon was defeated, until it wasn't and Yokai Watch killed itself. Pokemon Go was more a western phenomenon

Why they suddenly talk about Pokemon again? They need spotlight?
they got new content coming and news outlets can't help but stoke the flames

They took the best approach by letting the game's hype just fade naturally. From what I recall at least, discussion had already died off by the time they revealed Legends Z-A in February. There was no need to give it more attention by bringing forth a lawsuit.

My wild theory is that a legal action would have meant free marketing for palworld and TPC are only waiting a better timing.

After the release month nobody talked about palworld anymore.
Yup. The longer they wait the more Palworld has time to make mistakes and get cocky, like they did in quote from the OP. Meanwhile their business is falling into non existence. This is the kind of thing where in like 5 years and barely anyone remembers Pal World we’ll find out they now owe TPC a few billion dollars.

I never considered that initial statement to really be a legal threat, just confirmation that they're indeed looking into things. At this point, TPC is either having their lawyers continue to compile a case or they dropped the matter entirely. Or maybe they never really planned to compile a case to begin with and were just making a general statement.

I don't think anything will come of any investigation. so long as the studio doesn't actually rip models, they'll be at the mercy of their own ability to sustain their game

TPC never even made a legal threat towards them. They just put out a generic response saying they'll look into it after 1000s of people spammed them saying palworld is plagiarizing pokemon and stealing their assets. It was literally to get those people to stfu lol.

pokemon was defeated, until it wasn't and Yokai Watch killed itself. Pokemon Go was more a western phenomenon
Huh? this entire quote. Pokemon was defeated, in what context tho. Pokemon Go was more a western phenomenon is a crazy statement lol

Huh? this entire quote. Pokemon was defeated, in what context tho. Pokemon Go was more a western phenomenon is a crazy statement lol
I'm not saying Pokemon GO wasn't big in Asia, but I wouldn't attribute it to "saving" pokemon from Yokai Watch. YW died on its own and Pokemon hasn't exactly faltered. TPC responded to YW because it was the best thing to do with no drawback

Yo-kai Watch on the 3DS was a huge hit in Japan and the Japanese community at the time said Pokemon had been defeated. ...until Pokemon GO was released.
I don't think they felt meaningfully threatened by Yokai Watch. As far as I can tell, the extent of the Pokémon brand's response to the series was basically just making the Sun and Moon anime more lighthearted and comedic to parallel the tone of the Yokai Watch one, which they might have done anyway to contrast the more serious tone of the X & Y seasons. Hell, Nintendo published Yokai Watch for Level-5 internationally. Got its own fun skits in regional Directs and everything.

So if Nintendo and TPC have decided that this "Pokémon killer" isn't really a killer of anything, then the only roadblock to Palworld being on Nintendo's next console is whether or not Pocketpair wants to put the effort into porting it.

I think the legal threat was never a guarantee that that they'd go after palworld just for them to keep in mind that they won't hesitate to do so if they are found doing something illegal

As shameless as the designs are none really count as illegal copying. Probably the same legal territory that allows gamefreak to make something like baxcalibur.

Palworld is gonna end up in a Switch 2 era direct, and a lot of people here are gonna have a normal one.
Why wouldn't Nintendo want it? It's a popular game, free money for them. And it's more popular than Yokai Watch ever was.
Why they suddenly talk about Pokemon again? They need spotlight?
They have a big content update dropping soonish.

Palworld felt like the shortest fad in the internet history. It took the world by storm for like 1-2 weeks and then disappeared from any internet discussion since then.
I assume TPC realised that suing them would only benefit Palworld and since the game is forgotten by anyone they don't feel "threatened" anymore.

I don’t see how TPC can have failed to follow up on a threat they didn’t issue. They were asked for a comment on PalWorld by what was probably a large portion of the gaming press covering it, and they said they’d look into it and act if necessary with a boilerplate statement. What they didn’t do was issue a ‘legal threat’, which feels a lot more targeted than just giving the press a non-committal ‘we’ll look into it’ answer on something.

Yup. The longer they wait the more Palworld has time to make mistakes and get cocky, like they did in quote from the OP. Meanwhile their business is falling into non existence. This is the kind of thing where in like 5 years and barely anyone remembers Pal World we’ll find out they now owe TPC a few billion dollars.
TPC know the best way to handle that is minimization, just like what they did to those "Pokemon killer" before.

Back
Top Bottom