• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation PlayStation 5 reaches 25 million units sold (as of September 30th, 2022)

Hardware numbers are good, even if below PS4. But that’s a steep decrease in software, plus having fewer PSPlus members seems not great considering the expansion of the service this year that was supposed to really drive that up, you would think.

I imagine they’ll make up a lot of ground with the next quarter though with holiday sales and GoW:R and such.

Shame the hardware shortages have been so bad, I’d love to know what the actual demand for a PS5 is. The pandemic definitely boosted video games significantly, so I’m not surprised subscriptions are dipping now with the pandemic “over” for more people paired with a big lack of next gen games.

Definitely not a coinicidince that Sony suddenly had great stock for PS5 the same time they raised the price by $50. Kind of shitty to boast about record revenue when it's because of them flexing their market power.

PS+ subs down but network service spending seems to be up, has to do with exchange rate but it looks like the premium services are bringing in a decent chunk of cash.

Definitely not a coinicidince that Sony suddenly had great stock for PS5 the same time they raised the price by $50. Kind of shitty to boast about record revenue when it's because of them flexing their market power.
It would be interesting to know if the rise actually made PS5 more profitable for them. The revenue increase was a given since demand seems to be unshakeable.

Might want to add this to the OP despite numbers being down money from subscriptions is up. Adds an interesting wrinkle to consider.

Yup. This falls in line with them raising games to $70-- you can have much fewer people in the ecosystem as long as they're willing to pay whatever you ask of them. I don't know how well that strategy works long term if you're not bringing in new people though

Might want to add this to the OP despite numbers being down money from subscriptions is up. Adds an interesting wrinkle to consider.

It looks like revenue per subscriber went up with the new PS+ tiers. So that should offset any loss of subscribers at the end of the day.

The last few quarters (2.4, 3.3) have been extremely similar to the ones from the year before (2.2, 3.3), but surely the current quarter can be way bigger than last year's 3.9?

Back
Top Bottom