• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Pikmin 5 hype thread

What year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey Famiboards, did you know? Pikmin 4 came out earlier this year, and it's good as hell. Zamn, that game is fire!

Co-developed by Nintendo and Eighting, the project was seemingly a revival of some prototyping done by a small team at EAD following the release of Pikmin 3.

Kando: After the development for Pikmin 3 ended, we started development for Pikmin 4 as a small team.

As we made several attempts and tried out various things, there were moments when we could see the game take shape, but since we had to prioritize other projects, we weren't able to create the development team framework needed to complete the game. But the fruits of our labor during that time lead to the result of what Pikmin 4 is today.

Hiramuki: We know the fans were worried since Pikmin 4 was taking a long time, but thanks to their patience, we were able to make a game that is enjoyable for many people.

In my opinion this explains Miyamoto's comments at the time, which alluded vaguely to the difficulty in securing production resources.

It is no secret to many community members that I had deep reservations about an outsourced Pikmin game and what I would characterize as an embarrassing meltdown when it was confirmed. However, I believe that Eighting's designers and artists deserve to take a proud bow for their work on the game, which I feel realized a successor to Pikmin 3 beautifully. While Pikmin 4 has its flaws, on which I intend to expound my thoughts at a later date, I attribute these quibbles with directional decisions rather than the design, technical, or artistic work by Eighting.

As for the next game, I have astronomical hopes. The codevelopment model does not necessarily guarantee the immediate production of a new game, but it does give me more hope than would a project that came directly from EPD. More importantly than that, however, we have this quote from Tezuka-sama via Eurogamer:

After a 10-year wait for a new game, could Nintendo try to ensure Pikmin 5 did not take as long? "I think that would be best as well," Tezuka smiled. "We'll try not to let everyone wait."

So yeah, I have faith it's happening.

There's a lot to discuss about a potential followup. Pikmin 4 was built in Unreal Engine 4, so it seems both technically logical and cosmically appropriate that Pikmin 5 upgrade to Unreal Engine 5. With the long-rumored technical proficiency of the next Nintendo platform, the game could be absolutely stunning in a way that even the marvelous Pikmin 4 could not.

So, let's all dedicate a thread to our hype for the 100% happening Pikmin 5. When do you think it's coming? What direction or focus do you think the game will have? Do you have any specific ideas for new Pikmin, areas, scenarios, puzzles, or controls? I'd love to hear everything the community has in mind!

Pikmin 5!

I'm a believer that I won't have to wait until I'm married and possibly with a child before the next one. 2028.

I swear if we don't get one this decade I may just self-combust.

A thread 10 years to early, but at least we're not getting the we're not getting a new pikmin game ever thread since pikmin 4 is a big success.
This reminds me that I still have to play pikmin 4 after spending a voucher on it, I'm an awful pikmin fan,

Since they have a reliable development partner, great sales of 4, and a better, more cohesive vision for the series that pretty much everyone is happy about. I really think development of 5 is going to be much quicker. Maybe 4 years from now.

I was kind of a pikmin naysayer, due to how they were either unpolished, or lacking in content. But Pikmin 4 turned me around.

Long live dandori.

4 years seem like a "safe" guess if they keep working with Eighting, will be nice to see them flex even more photorealistic environments since it'd be a purely next gen game by the time it comes out.

It is no secret to many community members that I had deep reservations about an outsourced Pikmin game and what I would characterize as an embarrassing meltdown when it was confirmed. However, I believe that Eighting's designers and artists deserve to take a proud bow for their work on the game, which I feel realized a successor to Pikmin 3 beautifully.

Nintendo managed to develop the game through outsourcing but with their core at the the helm of development. Eighting was a great partner, alongside the other studios involved, but the praise begins at that core Pikmin team who actually worked on the game; specifically Yuji Kando, who "was in charge of the general game design and level design, the base programming of the game system, and deciding on the game's direction". Besides that, Kando was the main developer working through prototypes, one even patented, since 2013.

Last edited:
2027/2028 seems about right. After Pikmin 3 and 4 were successful on Switch I'm sure we won't have to wait a decade again for the next game.

Nintendo managed to develop the game through outsourcing but with their core at the the helm of development. Eighting was a great partner, alongside the other studios involved, but the praise begins at that core Pikmin team who actually worked on the game; specifically Yuji Kando, who "was in charge of the general game design and level design, the base programming of the game system, and deciding on the game's direction". Besides that, Kando was the main developer working through prototypes, one even patented, since 2013.
I wanted to provide a direct contrast to my past arguments but I greatly appreciate the informed context

I could see it being released around 2028, 2027 sounds right but I could see Nintendo release it at the right time, a bit later in Switch 2's lifespan, maybe.

Teased in 2027, never mentioned again, ¡Oye, Pikmin! gets surprise release in 2031, 5 is announced in 2033, gets finally released in 2035.

I picked 2027 which seems to be the most popular guess. Wish it was sooner since I adore Pikmin, but they went above and beyond with Pikmin 4. It was an amazing campaign. As a big fan of the challenge modes in prior games I was feasting here and I can’t believe how huge it was with all of it being so good (outside of some control quirks). Bring on Pikmin 5!

I'll say 27 or 28.

I'm more worried than hyped about the idea of 5 after playing 4. I commented this with a friend a while ago, that we most likely won't see how well an original Pikmin game in the style of 1 and 3 (and the overworld part of 2, plus its world and story) could perform on a healthy system like the Switch, if what Nintendo gathers from 4's success is that making the world, story and characters less unique and interesting, reducing the atmosphere of surviving on a wild planet, and in general making Pikmin less Pikmin (4 is only occasionally a take on strategy gameplay) is what works, then my engagement and excitement with this series will really diminish.

Originally my first priority for the direction in a new game would be getting another title focused on a schedule or timer system, and maybe just alternate between styles of games with each subsequent entry. Now my main desire is getting the atmosphere, story and strategy gameplay back, also a good soundtrack again.

Controls wise first of all make the lock on optional, and don't jam my throw if I want to put more Pikmin than needed on an item, probably the most obnoxious hand holding I have experienced in a Nintendo game, that if anything, just make certain things harder to do because of it.

Pikmin 4 is probably my game of the decade so I’m wondering if that’ll push 5 to the next decade

Hey Famiboards, did you know? Pikmin 4 came out earlier this year, and it's good as hell. Zamn, that game is fire!

Co-developed by Nintendo and Eighting, the project was seemingly a revival of some prototyping done by a small team at EAD following the release of Pikmin 3.

In my opinion this explains Miyamoto's comments at the time, which alluded vaguely to the difficulty in securing production resources.

It is no secret to many community members that I had deep reservations about an outsourced Pikmin game and what I would characterize as an embarrassing meltdown when it was confirmed. However, I believe that Eighting's designers and artists deserve to take a proud bow for their work on the game, which I feel realized a successor to Pikmin 3 beautifully. While Pikmin 4 has its flaws, on which I intend to expound my thoughts at a later date, I attribute these quibbles with directional decisions rather than the design, technical, or artistic work by Eighting.

As for the next game, I have astronomical hopes. The codevelopment model does not necessarily guarantee the immediate production of a new game, but it does give me more hope than would a project that came directly from EPD. More importantly than that, however, we have this quote from Tezuka-sama via Eurogamer:

So yeah, I have faith it's happening.

There's a lot to discuss about a potential followup. Pikmin 4 was built in Unreal Engine 4, so it seems both technically logical and cosmically appropriate that Pikmin 5 upgrade to Unreal Engine 5. With the long-rumored technical proficiency of the next Nintendo platform, the game could be absolutely stunning in a way that even the marvelous Pikmin 4 could not.

So, let's all dedicate a thread to our hype for the 100% happening Pikmin 5. When do you think it's coming? What direction or focus do you think the game will have? Do you have any specific ideas for new Pikmin, areas, scenarios, puzzles, or controls? I'd love to hear everything the community has in mind!

Pikmin 5!
there indeed will be a Pikimin 5, but it will come on Nintendo next hardware in year 4 of the console(2028)

The recent success of Pikmin 4 makes me feel like the wait for Pikmin 5 won't be as long. As for the game itself I think we already have a fine selection of Pikmin types so what I would like to see is more dynamic ecosystems. For example if you clear out a stage then next time you visit there would be completely different creatures that would fill in the void you left.

After 4 was such a success, I think pikmin is finally going to become a Nintendo mainstay. New games every 4-3 years may be in our grasp people

I'm so so hyped for 5 already too.

Timing really depends on lots of things (like when 4 actually went gold), 2025 would be an absolute dream, but 2026 feels realistic enough now. 4 is still selling really well and it'd be a great visual showpiece for the Switch 2 like 1/2 were for the Gamecube.

Surely they don't skip over the next console? Right? Please? I still have trust issues from the wait between 2 and 3 then 3 and 4..

For Pikmin 5, I hope:

• No caves or caves that are organically integrated to the surface and that are natural looking.
  • No abstract levels anymore.
  • No human-made environment, I prefered when human civilization seemed to be long gone.
  • No mission objectives based on number of stuff collected.
  • Better level design on the level of Pikmin 3. Pikmin 4 areas were too big and empty and didn't require much exploration.
  • Better story, no Louie antics, no crash landing, less dialogs or more interesting dialogs, less characters. A better sense of adventure and loneliness.
  • I feel no day limit can work but timed Dandori challenges need to be organically integrated to the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom