• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Penninsula action (also known as Zelda-likes) |ST| SSSSCHH!! It's a secret to everybody.

Irene

#TheProcessPrevails
Pronouns
She/Her
Pennins1.png

... What?
I know, and I understand the confusion, since I coined this phrase roughly 5 minutes ago.

Please explain!
It's a distinct, very specific and sort of timeless feeling to play the original Legend of Zelda on the NES - a feeling that remains quite unique in the series, even when compared to its closest contemporaries: Zelda II, A Link to the Past and later, Breath of the Wild. In this game, you're dropped into a world that stretches in all directions. You're free to explore all on your own, with no one there to guide your hand. You're blocked off here and there by some item-gating, but you're largely open to roam the world with only one singular goal in mind - defeat Ganon. The world itself is hostile and dangerous, but above all, it's filled with secrets. Arbitrary, cryptic and far-fetched secrets, like walking inside a mountain, a silent lady, GRUMBLE GRUMBLE and the fact that if you really do bomb every wall and burn every bush, wondrous things await.

There's been a fair few games, especially in recent years, that has seeked to emulate the feeling that Zelda 1 so effortlessly captivates. These have become so distinct in their common design goals that they all sort of fall into a common denominator at this point - hence "penninsula action", named after a particularly devious clue from The Legend of Zelda. Unlike its sister genre, search action, penninsula action games are defined by top-down gameplay and less item-gating, but a similar focus on challenge, exploration, an expansive toolset and also lots of enticing secrets.

What games, then?
Below is a small list of what I personally consider some of the more prominent penninsula action games today - but I might be missing something. So feel free to fill me in!

pENNINS2.png

The original game that started it all remains one of the most influential games not only as an originator of sorts for the penninsula action games, but among all games of all time. And as I mentioned before, there really is something truly special about Zelda 1 and the way its obtuse nature makes the world feel so alluring.

But it is of course not the only penninsula action games in the franchise - though the following 2D games became more linear, narratively prominent and comparatively more handholdy, all 2D Zelda games are of course proud inheritors of the original Zelda's design ideas and innovations.

pennins7.png

Hyper Light Drifter is a game made by Heart Machine that tells a story without words in a flashy, heavily stylized world that is just begging to be explored. The intense action brings a certain edge to the gameplay loop that might seem intimidating at first, but once you properly dig into the game, you'll find that the world is a fascinating, mysterious place that may or may not hide the answers you seek.

pennins4.png

A penninsula essential. Tunic expertly challenges the cryptic and obtuse nature that makes these kinds of games so exciting in the first place. The game is built on the ingenious concept of a cryptically worded instruction manual that not only is a callback to the game manuals of old, but also works as a core mechanic of the game and a crucial tool in uncovering every last one of the world's many secrets.

PENNINS9.png

A game not released yet - so we have to hold back our verdict on it a bit. But from material released so far, it looks like it heavily lifts influences from 2D Zelda games like Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. It looks like a game primed to do for top-down old-school games what Shovel Knight did for sidescrollers - truly something to look forward to.

penninsula3.png

Minit rests on a cool and off-beat mechanic - the world ends in a minute, and you have to make your way through the world one reset after another. The heavily tool-based gameplay loop makes for some really cool puzzle-solving along the way, and it's a really unique experience to say the least.

pennins5.png

A little push for a personal favourite here - Unsighted is a gem. Like Hyper Light Drifter, it leans heavily on style, and flashy, harsh combat. But there's still a lot of penninsula-traits to distinguish here as well, with plenty of mysterious dungeons to explore and a vast array of tools to utilize and unlock new paths with. The game has a punishing time constraint that drastically alters the world depending on how you play, which makes skill and perseverance essential.

pennins6.png

The most recent addition on the list, as Master Key just released! It's about a creature finding a big key, whose use remains a mystery. You explore a wide world filled with secrets, where NPC's communicate with monochrome emojis.

Why a thread?
Penninsula games are amazing, and you often hear the question "What are some Zelda-like games?" or "What are some games inspired by 2D Zelda out there?" on forums. So I figured that we could have a little ST for these kinds of games to be discussed and highlighted. While the definition of the term is distinct in a way - "Games like 2D Zelda" - what this thread is essentially about is top-down/isometric action adventure games focusing on exploration, combat, secrets, tools and puzzle-solving. Sometimes they may have roguelike elements, or might not be as obtuse or filled with secrets as Zelda 1, so the thread's premise might require some stretching in order for it to fully flourish, but in general, I hope I made my point come across well here.

Zelda 1 was magical then, is magical now, and the games listed that share its DNA are all also amazing in their own right - so let's talk about it, and share more games of this kind!

(EDIT: Fine, I updated the title)

Last edited:
That is a very interesting idea for an ST and an even better title :LOL:

Personally only played Tunic from your list (well and Zelda 1), I've always wanted to get into Hyper Light Drifter but I've heard the game is prety hard. Mina is definitely on my list though. Minit looks pretty cool too! Oh and Master Key seems cool too!

Also, I've just seen a trailer for "Cast Away", which seems to be pretty blatantly inspired by Link's Awakening, so probably a good fit for here too?

Hype article about Master Key on Kotaku, seems so intriguing.

That is a very interesting idea for an ST and an even better title :LOL:

Personally only played Tunic from your list (well and Zelda 1), I've always wanted to get into Hyper Light Drifter but I've heard the game is prety hard. Mina is definitely on my list though. Minit looks pretty cool too! Oh and Master Key seems cool too!

Also, I've just seen a trailer for "Cast Away", which seems to be pretty blatantly inspired by Link's Awakening, so probably a good fit for here too?

I'm all in on games being inspired by stuff but oh, I understand why you say "blatantly".

oh... oh!!!!!!! I'm making one of these!!!!!!!!!!!

Grögol Bonanza is definitely inspired by this ethos, even down to the flatter color palettes. There's definitely some stage-gating in the initial areas to get the feel for it... but then you're free to explore a big world that often has clever workarounds to circumnavigate, a little like a Metroidvania.

It's kind of like if a haunted offshoot of Game Boy Color Pokémon continued down a different, lateral path.

But I have STRUGGLED to figure out how to talk about this aspect of it. It keeps ending up coming out as "open world" — but that never seems quite right.

although this peninsula is an island, with several other islands, technically.

also 100% have a dash partially inspired by Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight, and Celeste... the age of dash is a good one and no one can convince me otherwise

although this peninsula is an island, with several other islands, technically.
Peninsulas are kinda like islands. They're almost surrounded by water. Peninsula-like, not peninsula-exactly.

also 100% have a dash partially inspired by Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight, and Celeste... the age of dash is a good one and no one can convince me otherwise
I kept meaning to tell you the dash in GB reminds me so much of the one from HLD that I kept trying to chain them 😅

Peninsulas are kinda like islands. They're almost surrounded by water. Peninsula-like, not peninsula-exactly.

I kept meaning to tell you the dash in GB reminds me so much of the one from HLD that I kept trying to chain them 😅
you could almost chain them before I put the cooldown in place

the early bugs were uh

really funny

there may or may not be a HK-style loooong dash powerup, depending on exactly how broken implementing it is

I’m a fan of 2D Zelda-like games, there’s quite a few out there. The Blossom Tales games, Ocean’s Heart and Oceanhorn spring to mind, all of which I enjoyed despite their highly derivative nature. I mean, if you’re gonna copy a formula, copy a good one :)

I'm sorry @Irene but I'm calling them Zelda-likes.

... top-down Zelda-likes? Because those are different from both the linear and open air 3D Zeldas. Someone else can come up with the name. Whatever this "genre" is called, it is extremely relevant to my interests.

I wasn't super into Hyper Light Drifter, but Master Key and Under The Island look right up my alley.

I just realized @Irene said "peninsula action" and not "peninsula-like" and now at least 30% of my posts in this thread don't make sense 🤣

Peninsulikes

Fantastic.

(Fun aside, a Swedish word for money is “peng” and the sole of the shoes is “sula”, so peninsula almost reads like “peng-i-sula”. I once saw a webcomic about two Swedish kids trying to play Zelda and were like “should I put money in my shoes?”)

(It was funny to me, at least)

Peninsipelago-action, to cover island and archipelago games.

Anyways, what I've played so far of Master Key is super, super promising. I'm also hoping Mina the Hollower turns up in the June Direct.

Time for Prodigal to shine:
It's a HUGE game, takes me back to Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.

And soon... Veritus!

Fantastic.

(Fun aside, a Swedish word for money is “peng” and the sole of the shoes is “sula”, so peninsula almost reads like “peng-i-sula”. I once saw a webcomic about two Swedish kids trying to play Zelda and were like “should I put money in my shoes?”)

(It was funny to me, at least)
Money in the shoes would be a good alternative to the Iron Boots

Peninsipelago-action, to cover island and archipelago games.
Hell yeah Chrono Cross

Holy shit, prodigal looks lit.

Definitely on the radar now.
It is such a pity that all games this studio seems to be making (Colorgrave) are great games crafted very carefully and beautifully but not many people have heard of them.

Fun fact: It annoys them to the point that they recently decided to make an intentionally bad faith tongue in cheek bait post about BotW on social media bringing them all kinds of bad... But they got the attention they were seeking for they did.

Time for Prodigal to shine:
It's a HUGE game, takes me back to Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.

And soon... Veritus!

Damn, Prodigal looks awesome. Veritus too! So glad more indie-devs embrace the GBC style now :D

Edit: Red Moon too! Even though that one does not look like Gameboy Color 😅

It is such a pity that all games this studio seems to be making (Colorgrave) are great games crafted very carefully and beautifully but not many people have heard of them.

Fun fact: It annoys them to the point that they recently decided to make an intentionally bad faith tongue in cheek bait post about BotW on social media bringing them all kinds of bad... But they got the attention they were seeking for they did.

holy based

Seems counter-intuitive. If you're making a Zelda-like game, you should probably try to avoid pissing off the fans of the franchise in question.

Sure you're getting the attention, but there is also a risk ending up with the reputation of being a spiteful dev.

I'm very confused as to whether this thread is about games like 2D Zelda or games that have cryptic secrets like the first game, because it sounds like both, except they're mostly two separate circles.

FEZ has no gameplay connection to Zelda whatsoever, but it was the original "what if we went all in on making a game about cryptic secrets like The Legend of Zelda had" game, and the first room of the game has a poster of the Zelda title screen.

Whereas something like Blossom Tales 2 is designed exactly like a Zelda game, but it has absolutely no cryptic hints and language decoding because nobody making a classic Zelda clone does it to recapture the feeling of Zelda 1.

Having played Prodigal's dungeons, they really shouldn't be throwing stones here...

I'm very confused as to whether this thread is about games like 2D Zelda or games that have cryptic secrets like the first game, because it sounds like both, except they're mostly two separate circles.

FEZ has no gameplay connection to Zelda whatsoever, but it was the original "what if we went all in on making a game about cryptic secrets like The Legend of Zelda had" game, and the first room of the game has a poster of the Zelda title screen.

Whereas something like Blossom Tales 2 is designed exactly like a Zelda game, but it has absolutely no cryptic hints and language decoding because nobody making a classic Zelda clone does it to recapture the feeling of Zelda 1.

Having played Prodigal's dungeons, they really shouldn't be throwing stones here...

Could be either. The thread is about games inspired by 2D Zelda. (I know it says "Zelda-likes", not "2D-Zelda-likes", but the discourse around the term tend to center around the 2D games) I might've stated the premise weirdly by spending so much of the OP text focusing on the design aspects of Zelda 1 in particular, when Zelda-likes can also play more like ALTTP or Minish Cap. (more linear, less cryptic etc)

But I kinda don't want the thread to devolve into "what is and isn't a Zelda-like"-type semantics. Just stick to a broad "top-down adventure game with combat and exploration reminiscent of Zelda" stroke and post some cool shit.

I’m glad I bit my tongue over “Earth-likes” in the last thread.

This is a bit right?

Of course.

Man why is it Nintendo always attracts the most toxic fans

Yeah I don't know about that one. I might've been interested in their game otherwise but I can't in good faith buy a game from a dev that considers BOTW/TOTK (two of my all time favorite games) as "copy/paste open world garbage". It just makes me think you're dumb, don't understand game design, and are probably making a bad game.

there's an overlap, at least intentwise... maybe?

I guess Grögol Bonanza doesn't play much like a Zelda (though someone on reddit wondered about it) — it's a hint of the styling, a hint of the world, but focused on exploration and weird discovery moreso. plus the uh. main creature-catching and fighting. that is the point but also kind of an aside.

what the fuck is this game I'm making actually I think terminology is collapsing at the seams

I enjoy this thread. I have to finally play Tunic someday. I heard theres tons of secrets in that one! Im in a 3D platformer phase right now, but soon.
I just bought it yesterday in the eShop sale, it's currently 50% off!

But don't tell my backlog 👀

like I'm definitely not trying to make something Animal Well level... but like a little bit? idk lots of the game is tucked into corners and hidden passages

and there are lots of spread-out abilities that can do unexpected things when applied.

I enjoy this thread. I have to finally play Tunic someday. I heard theres tons of secrets in that one! Im in a 3D platformer phase right now, but soon.

I just bought it yesterday in the eShop sale, it's currently 50% off!

But don't tell my backlog 👀

Tunic is a 10/10.

It's a true little miracle. If you can put up with the Souls-y combat, it's a deeply rewarding and enticing experience. It constantly surprises you, but it hides so much more behind its many clues and hints than one can possibly imagine.

Tunic's reveals are great but I wish the gameplay felt less... slow. Maybe they've updated it since, but it was decidedly un-snappy in a way that made it more difficult to enjoy.

and I really liked some setpieces... but I feel like the latter chunk underdelivered. That might have been my fault for getting too sneaky too soon, though...

Last edited:
Tunic immediately leapt into my all-time favourites during my first playthrough and six months later my replay clinched it. It's a game built out of secrets that organically teaches you to scour every nook and cranny, and so masterfully crafted that it naturally guides you away from its built-in sequence breaking paths.

Highly recommended to anyone checking in on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom