• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Paper Mario: The Origami King is not only the pinnacle of Paper Mario, but of Mario as a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GmanSir

Rattata
In 2020, Nintendo released "Paper Mario: The Origami King" for the Nintendo Switch. It was the 6th entry in the long running series of what used to be a traditional Mario RPG series. A trailer was posted out of no where on X (formally Twitter) one day. WTF? How did this happen, and it releases so soon! The trailer showed us some stellar graphics and big open environments. That was not enough for some just yet. "Will it be good this time?" "Will it have what I want from a Paper Mario?" "Will Arlo approve?" This were some examples of the important questions we had for the new entry.

We got previews, and some were concerned. We saw the new battle system, and some of us were taken back because it wasn't a rehash of the battle system from the first two games. Further trailers showed us what seemed like a crossbreed of Color Splash and TTYD. No, we needed to find out on our own when the game released. Months became weeks, which lead to days. I couldn't sleep knowing the most important game Nintendo will release for the Switch is about to come out. Finally, it was July 17th. Now we could play it and make our own opinion on it. And guess what? This game stands not just as the zenith of the Paper Mario series, but also as a defining moment for Mario as a character.

In this innovative installment, Mario's journey transcends the traditional bounds of platforming, delving into a world rich with creativity and charm. Origami King has blockbuster-level cutscenes and very good graphics for a Switch game. The game’s unique origami-themed aesthetic adds layers of depth to both the narrative and gameplay, unfolding new dimensions of Mario's character. Here, he is more than just a hero on a quest; he's a dynamic figure navigating a world where whimsy and challenges intertwine seamlessly. The raw emotion on Mario's paper model is a marvel to look at. When Mario cried, I cried. The game's clever puzzles, engaging storyline, and the vibrant, paper-crafted universe serve to elevate Mario's legacy, showcasing his versatility and enduring appeal in the ever-evolving landscape of video gaming. This title is a testament to the character's ability to continually captivate and surprise, reaffirming Mario's status not just as a gaming icon, but as a versatile protagonist capable of adapting and thriving in any artistic medium.

While I still personally rank TOK as 6/10, I will concur that the story development did do more for Mario's lore than most other games would dare attempt. It was the sole shining feature of the game where I otherwise detested the recycled NPCs with no differentiating features minus the Shogun theatre, and the exhausting minion battles that by the halfway point I was actively avoiding to not waste time.

I'd still refrain from calling it peak Paper Mario, though.

The raw emotion on Mario's paper model is a marvel to look at. When Mario cried, I cried.
A3hBVJy.png

TOK is one of my favorite Switch games and I agree that it’s the best game in the series. But this post sounds like AI.

While subjective, one could argue that Paper Mario: Sticker Star attains the pinnacle of human creation in the gaming realm. Its innovative departure from traditional RPG mechanics to a sticker-based combat system not only demonstrates the game designers' creative prowess but also introduces a strategic depth that challenges players to think outside the conventional gaming norms.

The visually stunning paper-crafted world showcases an artistic excellence that transcends typical video game aesthetics, demonstrating the limitless potential of human imagination. The accessible and engaging storytelling, coupled with a perfect blend of humor and character design, creates a universally enjoyable experience.

Nostalgia plays a powerful role as well, especially for those who grew up with the Paper Mario series, fostering a deep emotional connection. The impeccable sound design and music further enhance the immersive atmosphere, solidifying Paper Mario: Sticker Star as a testament to human creativity and ingenuity in the world of gaming.

lol

With this thread seemingly being AI assisted we are locking it. -xghost777, Dardan Sandiego, Party Sklar, meatbag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom