• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Official Tweet Panda Global and Nintendo to Host Official Smash Ultimate and Melee Circuit in 2022

Melee too?

That’s the actual news right there. A partnership with Panda for Ultimate solo wouldn’t have been that much of a shocker.

Why does Nintendo not re release melee, Its still so popular at this point
I just always assumed it had to do with not wanting it distracting from the current Smash game. But now that Ultimate is officially finished updating and they aren't doing another one for a long time, maybe things are different?

Is it? Take all the entries a melee tournament have and that's probably all the people interested in continue playing melee. And for that people playing it on a GC is no different that playing it on a Switch. I don't think the market is there.

Wait, I thought Nintendo hates Competitive Smash?

/s

Hopefully this will help to change the narrative about how Nintendo views it's fans and competitive gaming.

probably waiting for GCN on NSO

Wait, I thought Nintendo hates Competitive Smash?

/s

Hopefully this will help to change the narrative about how Nintendo views it's fans and competitive gaming.
I remember NoA being big into the competitive smash, it's just NCL that wasn't. Bill Trinen was even gonna compete in Evo until Iwata died

This is huge news. Hoping for the best for everyone involved. And I want to see a more sanctioned scene going forward.

Already have Smash covered.

Melee would be a good title for their online service honestly. Melee headlining a NSO for GameCube would help a ton. Plus help ease any drawbacks in case they decide to raise the price again lol

Only in the core competitive circles. To have mainstream audience be interested in such re-release, they need to put on a lot of remaster work in it. It needs to be in widescreen for starters.

Because both Ultimate and Brawl are far bigger games, and even if they did melee hd or whatever, I'm sure we'd never hear the end of how it isn't as good because wireless lag or it nor being as responsive as a crt or something to justify sticking to the GC original
It will happen once emulated GameCube games come to Switch (or future iterations of the Switch).

Even that isn't a guarantee, they never put Brawl on the Wii U digital Wii games list, and despite what melee fans might have you believe, that game still sold far more copies than melee did

Even that isn't a guarantee, they never put Brawl on the Wii U digital Wii games list, and despite what melee fans might have you believe, that game still sold far more copies than melee did
That initiative wasn't very well supported in general. A lot of the biggest Wii games never came to it.

oh wow. really never saw this happening. Wonder what changed.
My guess is, with all of the bad PR, child abuse, and sexual harassment that the Smash community had put out, Nintendo realized that a more hands on approach was necessary. Which, is probably a good move. Having the company draw out official rules, keeping everyone safe is probably a great thing, and it probably will trickle down into locals too.

My guess is, with all of the bad PR, child abuse, and sexual harassment that the Smash community had put out, Nintendo realized that a more hands on approach was necessary. Which, is probably a good move. Having the company draw out official rules, keeping everyone safe is probably a great thing, and it probably will trickle down into locals too.
Good point.

And God I sure hope so.

This would be an e-sport I actually would follow, so I hope it goes well and that Panda calls the creative shots. I feel they would know better what the scene wants than Nintendo.

Nice to see Nintendo finally coming around, hopefully since they're on board now the fans who need corporate blessings won't get annoyed at people playing Melee anymore lol. Era was really embarrassing when it came to competitive Smash talk, I hope this place doesn't project their grievances onto an entire scene again.

I had to ignore every single competitive Smash related topic back on ERA because they became too toxic and needlessly aggressive towards the competitive scene. Hoping Famiboards is different and more civil.

I'm still quite cautious about the tournament and how it will interact with the current scene. There are still many unanswered questions on points which Nintendo has had strong instances in the past:

1- How will this affect the current big tournaments in the scene (Genesis, Big House, Smash Con)
2- What will be their stance towards any types of software or hardware modifications (UCF, Smashbox, Slippi, Smash XX)
3- Prize Pools / Other Sponsors
4- Ruleset

given this is an NoA co-production, I trust they'll adhere to the usual rulesets in most tourneys. at most, they'll open up the stage list

It's pretty cool to see Melee included in this. Kinda fascinating to see the legs competitive Melee has had.

Melee was the best selling game on the Gamecube, if they do a good remaster, it can sell a few millions.

Hopefully this is good for everyone involved, especially for tournament players (like myself).

I had to ignore every single competitive Smash related topic back on ERA because they became too toxic and needlessly aggressive towards the competitive scene. Hoping Famiboards is different and more civil.

I'm still quite cautious about the tournament and how it will interact with the current scene. There are still many unanswered questions on points which Nintendo has had strong instances in the past:

1- How will this affect the current big tournaments in the scene (Genesis, Big House, Smash Con)
2- What will be their stance towards any types of software or hardware modifications (UCF, Smashbox, Slippi, Smash XX)
3- Prize Pools / Other Sponsors
4- Ruleset

1. Hopefully Tournament Organizers do not get more complications, doing big events like those is a lot of hard work
2. I guess Nintendo will pretend they do not see any UCF on the setups
3. The news said cash prizes, I hope is more distributed (top 32/64) and a big pot would be almost nothing for Nintendo
4. I trust that Panda will manage this

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom