• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion One thing that I'm excited for about Tears of the Kingdom is to see it being completely destroyed by speedrunners.

Guesswork - the fastest way to beat Tears of the Kingdom will take:

• Less than 30 minutes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • between 1 hour and 30 minutes

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Between 2 hours and 1 hour

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Between 3 hours and 2 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 3 hours and 4 hours

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • More than 4 hours

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Breath of the Wild was a speedrunner's dream game.

Filled with incredibly flexible mechanics that was ripe for glitch exploitation, we could see runners Stasis the living shit out of rocks and trees that would propel them forwards and upwards incredible distances, and later, bomb exploits that would absolutely obliterate shrines, causing our hero to retrieve Spirit Orbs in mere seconds. To this day, the world record for beating Breath of the Wild is less than 30 minutes.

Many think that Tears of the Kingdom will be perhaps even more of a dream for people who put ungodly amounts of time into figuring out the fastest way forward, the main focal point of discussion being the Ultrahand ability, and whatever crazy contraptions speedrunners will be able to make to conquer this new version of Hyrule.

Personally, I can't wait. We've already seen Zonai rockets and gliders being used for island hopping, and heaven knows how many more Zonai devices there will be for speedrunners to exploit. If a simple thing like remote bombs could be used to propel Link across Hebra mountain, imagine what runners will do with 10 fans and 15 rockets glued to a plank, or what will happen if you Recall an iron stone slab right into Link's face after having stored significant momentum by pause buffering or whatever wizardry these people come up with.

Do you think Tears of the Kingdom has the potential to be as viral a speedrunner game as its predecessor? What do you look forward to the most to see exploited by experts in the field? Do you really think Ultrahand will be as limitless as the concept suggests? Do you think we'll be able to defeat Ganondorf in our underwear - yet again?

__

Maybe goes without saying, but keep this discussion spoiler-free! If you've seen significant leaks about how the game is structured, or crazy ways to skip large swathes of the game, keep that information to yourself.

Last edited:
It most definitely has that potential thanks to the passionate speed-running community that will trickle in from BoTW and the amazing open-air design of these games. I am curious to see how they utilize the new sandbox and the new mechanics of Ultrahand building and whatnot.

It took years for certain exploits to be found in BoTW, and we know from the previews that they removed certain techs/glitches that were present in BoTW. I wonder if we can run to Ganondorf from the start like they allowed us to with Calamity Ganon in BoTW and I honestly don't want to know till I start it myself at launch lol.

Needless to say, I am pretty excited.

I don't even know if you can go straight to the final boss this time around or not

But I agree. BotW speedruns are cracked. Crazy how the glitches and techniques have evolved over the years

I like watching BotW 100% speedruns every once in awhile, they are very cozy (it takes like 20 hours for a really good speedrunner to finish a run). I think TotK will be a lot more interesting now that remote bombs are gone, since a huge part of movement in the BotW 100% speedrun is using a bomb glitch to shoot yourself really far, which sometimes gets boring to watch (and also negates a lot of shrines since you would just fly over every obstacle).

I guessed under 30 minutes but my heart is hoping for like 3-4 hours and that’s if they manage to do everything perfect in their runs. I really like some structure and I am holding out hope that TotK will have some tasks at least that have to be performed in order to defeat Ganondorf, I really want the Master Sword to be relevant again so hopefully by having to get it up and running again as depicted in the logo, that will throw a curve ball into there runs as far as their speed times.

Yes! I don’t usually play games all that creatively so I am always extra amazed and the things people even think to try. Fusing will definitely put it way over the top. I unashamedly love Banjo Nuts n’ Bolts, so I’m definitely looking forward to the nutty conveyances people come up with.

I wonder if they’ll let you zoom right to the finale this time though.

Now this is an exciting development, it looks like Nintendo completely removed all the techs and glitches used by speedrunners in BoTW lol.

The video is 100% spoiler-free (can confirm he only shows the early game as someone 3hrs in).

Looks like they will have to come up with completely different tricks this time around. Should be fun to see how it develops over the coming years!

I think the Zonai devices will be key.

Trying to figure out the minimum amount of ultra hand building needed to get places will be very fun.

This morning I bought TotK and speed-ran it in 25 minutes. Next time I complete the game, possibly after lunch, I'll try to record and share the video.

(Just to check speed running a game is where you go jogging with the gamecard in your pocket right?)

Edit - please don't ban me for this really terrible joke, I don't know why I posted this

Back
Top Bottom