• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Spoiler One Piece || OT I || WE ARE ONE || (Open Manga Spoilers)

Vantell

Does several things in the gaming industry
One-Piece-Volume-100.jpg

One Piece (stylized in all caps) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda. It has been serialized in Shueisha's shōnen manga magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump since July 1997, with its individual chapters compiled into 100 tankōbon volumes as of September 2021. The story follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy, a boy whose body gained the properties of rubber after unintentionally eating a Devil Fruit. With his crew of pirates, named the Straw Hat Pirates, Luffy explores the Grand Line in search of the world's ultimate treasure known as "One Piece" in order to become the next King of the Pirates.

Welcome aboard to all nakama (new and old) on Famiboards.

I didn't see a topic on One Piece yet. So I thought I make one to talk with people about this series. That said I think it is fair to put a few rules in this topic:

RULES AND SUCH
  • No talk about spoilers before a chapters official release in the Shounen Jump app.
  • We can talk about the latest manga chapter ( e.g. the latest chapter on the date of writing is 1028 so this is allowed).
  • Be respectful to other members
I think the rest is common sense! If anybody has some ideas I can change the OP a bit more :).

If this topic is on the wrong place I like to hear it as well :D

ENJOY~

Might as well ask this here. I noticed quite a number of issues of One Piece are sold out everywhere. Do we ever expect them to come back? I don't really feel like hunting down second-hand copies. I switched over from physical to digital due to these missing issues, and a full year later the situation's pretty much still the same. I get that a pandemic complicates everything, but I guess I don't really know if this was a thing already pre-2020.

• No talk about spoilers before a chapters official release in the Shounen Jump app.
Just to clarify, is it like the ERA manga OT spoiler etiquette where you shouldn't even post your vague reactions (like "this chapter is awesome") outside spoiler tags until the official release?

Just to clarify, is it like the ERA manga OT spoiler etiquette where you shouldn't even post your vague reactions (like "this chapter is awesome") outside spoiler tags until the official release?
I think that is the best to do so. Cause it can tend to some unwanted discussions before official release.

I think that is the best to do so. Cause it can tend to some unwanted discussions before official release.
I agree with this, especially since most of the world has official releases. I always wait for the official (generally Sunday) release.

Also that color spread this week and making Jinbei the Mario alike XD

The whole chapter 1028 was amazing, from that great color spread to awesome Queen shenanigans (BRACHIOSNAKEUS).

Oh man I really hope we'll have a large enough fanbase here to sustain an active thread! One Piece is by far my favorite manga. I've been meaning to do another reread soon and do a retrospective writeup alongside it - hopefully I get around to that next year.

While I feel Wano has not been particularly good, chapters like 1028 in a vacuum remind me why I love it so much (well, the Queen part at least. The Sanji stuff sucked, and continues to be Oda's most egregious case of character assassination ever)

Oh man I really hope we'll have a large enough fanbase here to sustain an active thread! One Piece is by far my favorite manga. I've been meaning to do another reread soon and do a retrospective writeup alongside it - hopefully I get around to that next year.

While I feel Wano has not been particularly good, chapters like 1028 in a vacuum remind me why I love it so much (well, the Queen part at least. The Sanji stuff sucked, and continues to be Oda's most egregious case of character assassination ever)
Interesting take on Wano. Is there a specific reason you don't like it? And which arcs are your favorite? Overall, Pre TS and Post TS?

The whole chapter 1028 was amazing, from that great color spread to awesome Queen shenanigans (BRACHIOSNAKEUS).

Chapter 1028 was a good example of how One Piece is a mix of lore, humor, character development and some action. It was great.

Interesting take on Wano. Is there a specific reason you don't like it? And which arcs are your favorite? Overall, Pre TS and Post TS?
It's not really unique to Wano. Post-timeskip in general has been a dip in quality in my mind. Still better than pretty much anything else running mind you, but more for the overarching story at this point than the moment-to-moment developments. It's hard for me to write down the specific problems I have off the top of my head - I'd probably need to go through the arc again to get prompted. Oden being a terribly written character, Kaido being a lame ineffectual villain and Orochi getting completely wasted would be a start though. The pacing during the raid has been a mess too, with characters constantly coming back just to get finished off unceremoniously.

Then there are the problems that have been plaguing modern One Piece in general, which are the absolutely excessive bloat of characters and plotlines, meaning arcs drag forever yet still nothing feels like it gets the attention it deserves. And the annoying plot contrivances and cheap fakeouts that pop up every other chapter now.

Favorite arcs would probably be Sky Island, the Water 7 half of CP9, and the Marineford part of the paramount "war". Though I like pretty much everything pre-timeskip. Post-timeskip is much more of a mixed bag. I don't think there's a single arc I could say since then that I've unequivocally loved. Whole Cake had a lot of potential but completely shat the bed at the halfway point, and Wano started off promising but ain't doing too hot either.

...And I realize this barely makes me sound like a fan lol. So just to emphasize again, even with all its flaws, One Piece is still by far my favorite manga, even if past its prime imo

Wano has been so good for so long

I was a little bored with the early chapters, but it started picking up with Kaido and Luffy's first meeting and it's been awesome ever since then

Everything from the Oden flashback onward has been top tier One Piece imo. Onigashima has been killer chapter after killer chapter

Good to see a One Piece OT

I've been reading Once Piece for over 20 years now. What's everyones favourite Arc?

I still can never go past Water Seven/Enies Lobby

It's not only the greatest one piece arc, it's the greatest Shonen Anime arc

It's not really unique to Wano. Post-timeskip in general has been a dip in quality in my mind. Still better than pretty much anything else running mind you, but more for the overarching story at this point than the moment-to-moment developments. It's hard for me to write down the specific problems I have off the top of my head - I'd probably need to go through the arc again to get prompted. Oden being a terribly written character, Kaido being a lame ineffectual villain and Orochi getting completely wasted would be a start though. The pacing during the raid has been a mess too, with characters constantly coming back just to get finished off unceremoniously.

Then there are the problems that have been plaguing modern One Piece in general, which are the absolutely excessive bloat of characters and plotlines, meaning arcs drag forever yet still nothing feels like it gets the attention it deserves. And the annoying plot contrivances and cheap fakeouts that pop up every other chapter now.

Favorite arcs would probably be Sky Island, the Water 7 half of CP9, and the Marineford part of the paramount "war". Though I like pretty much everything pre-timeskip. Post-timeskip is much more of a mixed bag. I don't think there's a single arc I could say since then that I've unequivocally loved. Whole Cake had a lot of potential but completely shat the bed at the halfway point, and Wano started off promising but ain't doing too hot either.

...And I realize this barely makes me sound like a fan lol. So just to emphasize again, even with all its flaws, One Piece is still by far my favorite manga, even if past its prime imo
I can see what you say. But I have to say that I can also not compare pre TS with post TS. I bingewatched till Enies Lobby so everything pre-Enies Lobby has something special for me (I bingedread till Thriller Bark, haha).

But I have to say I really like Wano. I think it has the Arabasta vibe for me and Oden was a great character imo.

I've been reading Once Piece for over 20 years now. What's everyones favourite Arc?

I think One Piece is close to one of the best stories I have read in my life. But I do wonder if it would have worked as well in a book format as it does now in manga format.

Anyway I think Arlong Park still holds something special for me. Mainly that is the moment I got hooked and Water 7 / Enies Lobby also did a crazy, haha.

Drum Kingdom. After doing a re-read, it feels like the first arc where things really get interesting. Really funny and a graat flashback as well.

going to read the newest 2 chapters tonight, been slacking :p

But I have to say I really like Wano. I think it has the Arabasta vibe for me and Oden was a great character imo.
I really hate Oden. Constantly having characters spout "Oh he was such a great guy" before we were introduced to him felt like Oda trying to force him down our throat. And when we did finally see him, he wasn't a great guy at all. In fact he was an asshole. His intro chapter was riddled with stupid toxic masculinity stuff (though unfortunately that applies to a lot of One Piece), and he basically turned his back on his country.

His existence is also one of the few blindingly obvious retcons. It was a huge deal in Skypiea that Roger could apparently read the poneglyphs with the voice of all things, but no apparently that was just Oden. Trying to come up with whatever feeble excuse as to why the Whitebeard pirates never came to help him in the past was also pretty limp. And Oda needed to make sure all these retcons fit the preestablished timeline, so he also had to make Oden dance around like a gullible buffoon for five years.

Oda also really hyped up Oden to Kaido's expense. We got the world's strongest creature here, the current arc villain that you're trying build up as an unstoppable wall to the protagonists, and then you're just gonna go and make him look like a chump against Oden, where he was about to get slaughtered if not for underhanded hostage tactics.

Lastly, we simply don't know WHY Oden wants to open up Wano's borders. He found something out during his journey with Roger; obviously we can't know what yet since that'll be a big spoiler. But then how am I supposed to care about his (and by extension, Momo's) goal? It's not particularly compelling as it is. Maybe once we find out our minds will be blown and it will all work retroactively, but it doesn't stop Wano from being hampered in the here and now.

Forgive for the rant 🙏 He did have a bangin death scene tho

So even if scalations are out, we do not talk about them until the official release, got it.

This week will be hard without One Piece.

I thought that Wano would be over once Luffy beats Kaido, but we still have Big Mom there. And now that Cypres Pol is heading to the island, it makes me think this arc will last like two more years,...

it really feels like Wano is ending soon, but I say that every couple chapters and then it continues. Queen coming out of his legs like that was totally off the wall I loved it :LOL:

I thought that Wano would be over once Luffy beats Kaido, but we still have Big Mom there. And now that Cypres Pol is heading to the island, it makes me think this arc will last like two more years,...
There's no way Big Mom goes down this arc. She's barely been a focus. I think she will follow the Strawhats to Elbaf. Simply too many unresolved plot threads with her, what with the giants and her suppressed memories. I could even see a future where she's eventually an ally. We've seen that she can be a good person with a good enough bonk on the head, and she even has a daughter with memory manipulation power to help her come to terms with her past. Coincidence? I hope not.

As for CP0, I doubt they'll do too much here. Probably get rebuffed by the Wano citizenry and play a larger role in the final war, when the celestial dragons' time to shine comes.

Luffy gonna beat Big Mom and Kaido for sure. Government coming is an excuse to bring Green Bull/Issho and for Luffy to claim territory at the end.

He's not beating Big Mom in the same arc as Kaido, he's gonna be half dead after finishing his fight with the latter. There's like zero gravitas whatsoever to anything involving Big Mom right now. But we will see soon enough. The implication was also that the ships heading over only have government agents on board since CP0 has direct orders, plus Sakazuki barred Borsalino from heading to Wano at the beginning of the arc. Though I'd be happy to be wrong and see Ryukugyu soon.

I can see BigMom going bs insane at the end with all her plans crushed again. Maybe she gets to clash with Ryokugyo to establish his position.

Anyone here watching Merphy Napier's OP reviews?

Merphy Napier is a book reviewer who doesn't even read manga and who got into One Piece manga big time.

She is currently 2/3 of the way into Dressrosa

I really enjoyed her different perspective on Fishman Island. Gave me a new appreciation for the arc.

I’ve been watching through One Pace the past 4-6 weeks or so and a lot of arcs are a lot better than I remember from reading them. I was more fond of Fishman Island this time around for example. I’m on Punk Hazard right now, but I should be able to make it on time for episode 1000.

Best long running manga of all time imo, Wano is god tier and has me fiending for a new chapter the second I finish reading the latest. Carrot is joining the crew
Anyone here watching Merphy Napier's OP reviews?

Merphy Napier is a book reviewer who doesn't even read manga and who got into One Piece manga big time.

She is currently 2/3 of the way into Dressrosa

I really enjoyed her different perspective on Fishman Island. Gave me a new appreciation for the arc.

I'm watching her reviews, I love seeing the opinions and reactions that new fans have to things. Her reviews are very entertaining.

Chapter 1029 spoilers:
Chapter 1029 "Tower".

• Queen says Judge once said he wanted to create humans with "exoskeletons", with "great power and stamina" and an "ice heart" without feeling.
  • Sanji is still shocked with the changes his body is undergoing and leaves because he needs time to think.
  • Queen chases him saying to show him the combat suit.
  • Kid has severe headaches and is about to be defeated by Big Mom.
  • Kid and Law Vs. Big Mom, there are some scenes from the battle.
  • Killer Vs. Hawkins.
  • Kid's headache is caused by Hawkins, who is butting his head.
  • In this part there is a long conversation between the two, at the end Killer says that he has 2 questions for Hawkins.
  • Question 1: What if the damage you do has nowhere to go?
  • Hawkins responds that the damage will go to Kid, then Killer cuts off his left arm.
  • Hawkins says why did he cut off his arm, if the damage is going to go for ...
  • Killer: "Kid doesn't have a left arm."
  • Question 2: How many lives do you have left if I eliminate Kid's straw dolls?
  • Hawkins: "Congratulations, that was the last one."
  • Hawkins draws the "Tower" card. But Killer defeats him.
  • "Tower" means "the collapse of the old" and a hidden meaning of the letter is "a new way".
  • Killer: "Go ahead, mate !!".

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK

I apologize if my post first spoiled anyone, I needed to learn how to post spoilers correctly in this forum lol

This week is going to be good. Waiting till the chapter drops and sunday new episode. We are getting close to episode 1000 :D

Sooo...any One Piece Fans left here?

After 1037, are you excited too, what will happen next?

Who is the true history of Zunesha? Will the Alliance of Mink Tribe and Samurai take part in the Wano- war? Will CP0 kidnap Nico Robin once again? What Devil Fruit are the Gorosei talking about? Is this the end of Kaido and Big Mom? Is Elbaf the next arc? Or do we see the geat war? When will we see the Straw Hat Grand Fleet? Are Hancock and Sabo okay? When will we finally see Vegapunk? What are the powers of admiral green bull? Is Blackbeard a triplet- trio, a split personality a Cerberus or a kraken? Who's Imu and what's with that giant strawhat? Why is he so behind Vivi? Who's Joyboy? Will we finally know about the true history? Will we meet again God Emperor Enel? Will Oda ever complete the story in his lifetime? And where is the rum gone?

Sooo...any One Piece Fans left here?
I actually do not really know how much users here like or discuss anime. I personally have not watched or read much of One Piece. I like the characters and such, but not like super into it.

I read it but it's not really exciting at the moment.

It's hard to get excited about the elephant when it appearing just seems to be a counter to the world government who also happened to be in the same issue.

Had the world government been down there fighting through Big Mom's fleet and then the Minks appeared to stop them it might have made more impact.
As is, I have no idea where her kids are lol.

I read it but it's not really exciting at the moment.

It's hard to get excited about the elephant when it appearing just seems to be a counter to the world government who also happened to be in the same issue.

Had the world government been down there fighting through Big Mom's fleet and then the Minks appeared to stop them it might have made more impact.
As is, I have no idea where her kids are lol.

Guess Oda plans some crazy stuff. Kaidous Remnants, Strawhats, Big Mum crew somewhere outside of Wano, CP0 with marines and now Mink+ Samurai Alliance around. Really looking forward how he will handle this.

I just got into One Piece again. Followed it unto the defeat of Doflamingo. Than unfollowed because of the slow pacing. Now 240 chapters and 5 years later, i had no problem to jump in again, lol.

Can't wait to see how all this ends. Big Mom and Kaidou are both going down but I think Big Mom will still play some role later on. Too much in Whole Cake was left over and I have to imagine her past coming back to haunt her and break her mentally could result in a neutered ally in the future rather than death. Pudding and Struesen could cause so much damage by revealing the truth to Linlin about her family. Finding out that Sanji made the cake could change things as well. I have a feeling Big Mom will play some role into Elbaf even if it's at arms length away with little to no threat to the Straw Hats.

Aside from Nami, Brook, Usopp and Chopper each of the other Straw Hats has had a satisfying combative showing in the war. For my tastes anyway. I absolutely loved how so much lore was given within Sanji's and Zoro's fight.

Sanji in particular just left so many questions though. There has been a million and one hints for decades now that Sanji as some relation to aliens. Yeah outer space aliens. Once Germa was introduced all that Nazi imagery, nordic flags and all that just fit too well. Then you've got his mother Sora, and his father Judge the Garuda and you have all this sky flying, winged animal images that come to mind.

When Queen questions that Sanji couldn't be a Lunarian, I have to wonder if thats exactly where the fire comes from. I bet in the distant path Sanji's bloodline is descendant from Lunarians. I mean all winged tribes in One Piece originated on the moon, so Sanji's space alien theory is even more sound than ever.

Now Sanji's fire is more natural as Judge's enhancements made an exoskeleton and faster recovery. Possibly the extra abilities of the Vinsmoke children as well but no mention of Sanji's fire was ever brought up by the Vinsmokes. What ever Sanji was supposed to get it was probably invisibility. Sanji's eyebrow flipped mid fight with Queen to show that the transformation went further but then after the fight the eyebrows flipped again! Will Sanji be able to activate Ifrit at anytime or is it like under pure stress kind of deal?

I imagine Sanji's body more or less went back to normal but these abilities can be activated again. When Vegapunk comes around I hope to high heaven he can explain exactly what went on and give us a text dump on how Sanji's body operates. Chopper saw what happened to Sanji mid fight and hopefully Oda also gives us a post battle scene with them discussing Sanji's new body at least a bit.

Interested in seeing how Kaido's actually going to be beaten. My guess is we're looking at a Doflamingo situation where Luffy uses Gear 4, fails to finish Kaido off before running out of Haki, and the few Scabbards still able to stand will end up defending him until Luffy recovers. Like Oden's will shielding him until he can deliver the final blow.

Still waiting on Usopp to do something cool. He needs it, Oda. Whatever happened to his Haki?

Has this series ended yet?

On another note, I do like the design of the blue-haired girl with horns.
Well, the endgame is actually in sight finally, but I still expect more than five years

Can't wait to see how all this ends. Big Mom and Kaidou are both going down but I think Big Mom will still play some role later on. Too much in Whole Cake was left over and I have to imagine her past coming back to haunt her and break her mentally could result in a neutered ally in the future rather than death. Pudding and Struesen could cause so much damage by revealing the truth to Linlin about her family. Finding out that Sanji made the cake could change things as well. I have a feeling Big Mom will play some role into Elbaf even if it's at arms length away with little to no threat to the Straw Hats.
I agree that Big Mom will continue to have a role after this arc. I personally don't think she's going down, rather I expect her fight to "resolve" inconclusively, but I could see that going either way. But there are simply too many loose ends and too much setup for her story to end here, like you said. Repressed past and a daughter with a memory altering fruit? Ties to the giants, when Elbaf is presumably coming up next? Way too convenient imo. We even saw that she can actually be a nice person deep down, when she was suffering amnesia. Methinks there are some mental issues that can be resolved for her to become an ally in some form indeed

Sanji in particular just left so many questions though. There has been a million and one hints for decades now that Sanji as some relation to aliens. Yeah outer space aliens. Once Germa was introduced all that Nazi imagery, nordic flags and all that just fit too well. Then you've got his mother Sora, and his father Judge the Garuda and you have all this sky flying, winged animal images that come to mind.

When Queen questions that Sanji couldn't be a Lunarian, I have to wonder if thats exactly where the fire comes from. I bet in the distant path Sanji's bloodline is descendant from Lunarians. I mean all winged tribes in One Piece originated on the moon, so Sanji's space alien theory is even more sound than ever.

Now Sanji's fire is more natural as Judge's enhancements made an exoskeleton and faster recovery. Possibly the extra abilities of the Vinsmoke children as well but no mention of Sanji's fire was ever brought up by the Vinsmokes. What ever Sanji was supposed to get it was probably invisibility. Sanji's eyebrow flipped mid fight with Queen to show that the transformation went further but then after the fight the eyebrows flipped again! Will Sanji be able to activate Ifrit at anytime or is it like under pure stress kind of deal?

I imagine Sanji's body more or less went back to normal but these abilities can be activated again. When Vegapunk comes around I hope to high heaven he can explain exactly what went on and give us a text dump on how Sanji's body operates. Chopper saw what happened to Sanji mid fight and hopefully Oda also gives us a post battle scene with them discussing Sanji's new body at least a bit.
I've seen this thrown around in the last couple of months and I would honestly hate it. Sanji's already been ruined for me (even more than he already had been) with his stupid powerups from his Nazi family, but if his fire gets retcon'd to be Lunarian in origin too I would just lose it. What happened to the simple days when he just spun around really fast to create fire with friction. Everyone and their mother has special lineage now, or tied to some sort of destiny. Blech

Back
Top Bottom