• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware oh no: the new detachable PS5 disk drive has to be activated through Sony's servers before it can be used,

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
buried under the legal text on the consoles box.
F9RnACKXsAAaBiq.jpg:orig

for the record. disk drives being tied to the motherboard it was initally built on has been an issue since the Xbox 360. but considering the drive is specifically designed to only work on slim consoles and not the original model, it wouldn't have hurt them to implement an offline pairing option on the hardware level.

a similar but far more frustrating problem has been recently applied to iOS devices. where every individual part has to be certified by Apple before it'll work on your device.

I got worried when some outlets were clickbaiting this to imply it ALWAYS needed to be online.

But it's just a one time thing for setup to avoid they system getting jailbroken.

This is sort of bonkers to think about.

Oh? I'm actually legitimately curious. Are you thinking it might be about Blu-Ray license fees?
Well I thought it was some DMCA thing but looking more into it, it could just be Sony. Apparently you run into issues if you swap disc drives between two disc based PS5s too.

Well I thought it was some DMCA thing but looking more into it, it could just be Sony. Apparently you run into issues if you swap disc drives between two disc based PS5s too.
Wii U has a similar thing if I’m not mistaken. There’s a hardware pairing between the system and the drive and if you put an unrecognized drive in the system you’re going to have a bad time.

This has been an issue also in PC. When you buy a BD drive you also need to activate it online. At some point I coudln't use mine because I upgraded most of my PC and the BD program used to download the license went down, and I wasn't going to pay powerdvd just to use my drive (I could still use it to rip movies ofcourse)

@ermitron2 Things are even worse for 4K playback on PC, where you don't just need a license through software, but CPUs with specific hardware components to play 4KBD.

Is anyone, at this point, shocked, that physical media is "dying"?

This being a requirement due to the DMCA is somehow even worse than Sony pushing it because potato.

Like, seriously, what the fuck is this shit and thank god i never got a Blu-Ray reader for my PC

Nice. Glad I bought an OLED Switch instead of investing in Jim Ryan's Scamstation.
What hurts the most about the PS5 is that it has a huge potential, and i'm not exaggerating.

The raw power, the controller, the SSD as the default storage. My PC is more than up to the task and i'm playing Cyberpunk on my PS5 because of the controller feedback.

But this may be the worst Playstation gen ever. No Japan Studios means no quirky experimental games, TLoU as a "mascot" franchise, remasters of games that you can purchase and play thanks to BC, GT7 being more of a grindfest than ever thanks to the pseudofocus on MXT, the recently revealed focus on GAAS...

Thank god for the PS4 library.

Yeah, that was what I was fearing here. This is the first time I hear about this requirement.

This has been an issue also in PC. When you buy a BD drive you also need to activate it online. At some point I coudln't use mine because I upgraded most of my PC and the BD program used to download the license went down, and I wasn't going to pay powerdvd just to use my drive (I could still use it to rip movies ofcourse)

I... Didn't know about this, lol. I sort of never got a BD drive. Can't say I have missed having one, either. And this isn't making me any more interested on having one, lol

Oh wow, I didn't know about that! In the early-mid 2010s I had two gaming laptops, both with Blu-Ray drives, and the drives in both just crapped out eventually. I spent months trying to find out what was wrong because I could access the files on the discs but I couldn't get the movies/show to actually play. I tried swapping the old BD drive into the newer laptop once the drive in the newer laptop broke, just to see if that would work. Obviously it didn't, but I didn't realise it was tied to the original hardware. To this day I still don't know what actually went wrong, but I feel a bit better knowing that BD drives were riddled with bugs across the PC spectrum.

If you buy Playstation products, you buy the right to get abused by SIE. The solution is to not buy Playstation products.

Between this and the lack of compelling software, SIE is giving Xbone launch era Xbox a challenge to see who can alienate the most customers.

@ermitron2 Things are even worse for 4K playback on PC, where you don't just need a license through software, but CPUs with specific hardware components to play 4KBD.

Is anyone, at this point, shocked, that physical media is "dying"?
It won't die but there will be more threads in video game forums about it.

The Xbox Series X will tank even more than it currently is between the lack of a retail presence from going all digital to the lack of compelling games.

As for me, if physical media dies, I quit video games. I have plenty of other ways to spend my time. I will also not buy my kids Nintendo products without physical media.

here’s some more info

it's not because of the Blu-Ray movie DRM, no. the encryption used on PS5 games is entirely different (and works 100% offline, the worst they can do is prevent the game from installing if you're on a lower firmware version than expected), and they could only require an online update just for said movies (which is what the PS3 does, that's why the system still randomly gets updated after all these years.)

PC drives are a bit of a mess when it comes to watching DRM-protected movies, but basic read/write functionality on standard disks shouldn't be locked to an online update in most cases. the drive i use works like that.
the problem is of course that the vast majority of blu-ray disks on the market are those aformentioned films and console games, and the licensed PC software to view the former is extremely buggy, difficult to activate, and lacking important features.
using unofficial tools to crack the DRM (which even works with a few 4K disks, alongside most PS3 games) and rip the data is practically required to have a good experience on PC.

Back
Top Bottom