• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro Official Wii U / 3DS online services end April 8th 2024, what are you planning on playing before then? [UP: Shutdown date officially announced]

shoptroll

Yoshi
Pronouns
he/him
For those that missed the news back in October, the official Wii U and 3DS online connectivity are going offline “early April”. For those of us with backlogs we now have about 3 months to get our affairs in order before certain titles become harder to enjoy.

I’m planning on digging out Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles X to try and work through during this time.

MM I bounced hard off of because I just wasn’t in the headspace at the time to design my own levels and just put the game down and apparently missed some neat stuff that was made with it. Mario Wonder (and picking up MM 3DS earlier this year to play the 100 or so Nintendo made levels) really rekindled my love for 2D Mario and while it’s going to require taking a break from Wonder… it’s time to revisit this even if I’m going to have to be very selective about what levels I play.

XCX is also on the list because I’ve been meaning to play and finish a Xenoblade game for a couple years now. I don’t think the online was a huge component at least in the early bits I played but I figure this is as good a time as any to dig this out.

I don’t think I’ll get to it but I would also like to dip into Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I figure of all these games this has the most likelihood currently of getting a re-release so it’s a lower priority and honestly competitive multiplayer isn’t really my jam these days.

How about you fami? Is anyone else planning on digging out their old hardware for one final dance before these systems finally ride out into the sunset? What are you planning to play and why?

Unfortunately I don't own a Wii U, because I really would've loved to try Splatoon before it shuts down. Huge fan of 2 and 3, but never was able to play the original.

Biggest tickets to check off the list would be to finally get to Xenoblade Chronicles X and then see if I want to get any of the online-related achievements in Kid Icarus: Uprising done. If there's any time left after that, Fire Emblem is gonna eat it right up.

Unfortunately I don't own a Wii U, because I really would've loved to try Splatoon before it shuts down. Huge fan of 2 and 3, but never was able to play the original.

The gamepad was special. I'm reluctant to go back because either I won't be used to it anymore and it'll feel uncomfortable and I'll be let down or it'll be as good as ever and make playing Splatoon 3 harder than before I remembered how great the Wii U worked for the game.

For those that missed the news back in October, the official Wii U and 3DS online connectivity are going offline “early April”. For those of us with backlogs we now have about 3 months to get our affairs in order before certain titles become harder to enjoy.

I’m planning on digging out Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles X to try and work through during this time.

MM I bounced hard off of because I just wasn’t in the headspace at the time to design my own levels and just put the game down and apparently missed some neat stuff that was made with it. Mario Wonder (and picking up MM 3DS earlier this year to play the 100 or so Nintendo made levels) really rekindled my love for 2D Mario and while it’s going to require taking a break from Wonder… it’s time to revisit this even if I’m going to have to be very selective about what levels I play.

XCX is also on the list because I’ve been meaning to play and finish a Xenoblade game for a couple years now. I don’t think the online was a huge component at least in the early bits I played but I figure this is as good a time as any to dig this out.

I don’t think I’ll get to it but I would also like to dip into Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I figure of all these games this has the most likelihood currently of getting a re-release so it’s a lower priority and honestly competitive multiplayer isn’t really my jam these days.

How about you fami? Is anyone else planning on digging out their old hardware for one final dance before these systems finally ride out into the sunset? What are you planning to play and why?
I'm just now realizing you can still play Mario Maker stuff cause I thought they shut it all down and now I need to play this...

Honestly as much as I'm sad about it I think I've probably played what I wanted to play over the years. I'm big into local play so at least the 3DS still has that for almost every game. Maybe I'll do a few more rounds of Splatoon 1 before it goes.

I'm just now realizing you can still play Mario Maker stuff cause I thought they shut it all down and now I need to play this...
My understanding is that uploading and commenting/rating is dead but downloads still work. I’ll definitely report back my findings!

While Pokemon Bank will continue past April, we don't know how long it will last so I've been working through some old Pokemon games, gathering ribbons and fun stuff to transfer up before we can't do so (officially) anymore.

I'm in the middle of playthroughs of Pokemon Sun, Black 2, and Emerald. I'll also play Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD one more time before the end.

Want to try to play Kid Icarus Uprising's online, and also hoping to get some people to trade me rare Pokemon (if anyone here's got a Hidden Ability male Nidoran that can be used in gen 7, hit me up!).

There was an unfinished level in Mario Maker 1 that will probably remain unfinished, sadly. I got pretty far in it too.

I really want to play Triforce Heroes properly - that is, online. I even thought about putting up some thread here looking for pals for playing it first time too.

Original Splatoon and Mario Maker on the WiiU and on the 3DS Kid Icarus Uprising (imagine being the person to kill this gem).
I would've replayed Deus Ex Human Revolution as well on the WiiU, but that games unique features were killed when Miiverse was undone, so yeah :(

I really want to play Triforce Heroes properly - that is, online. I even thought about putting up some thread here looking for pals for playing it first time too.
I've tried it, but my friends gave up and with randoms it's absolutely chanceless, so I'd be up for it!

Nothing but I'm in process of moving every single pokémon I have in games gen 3 onward. Yeah starting from ruby and Sapphire. So far ~1800 Pokémon got stored in my Pokémon Home and a lot more left. Moving from gen 4 to gen 5 is really time consuming.

My hunt for a shiny minior in sun/moon continues, and I filled up all my boxes recently. So I'm just wonder trading all of my extras just to see what I can get. It's still surprisingly active. I'm never waiting for a trade, though I have done trades with the same people a few times.

Looking back i played a lot more of 3DS online than Wii U, having mario kart 7, smash, monster hunter 4/XX was so good, on Wii U i only played smash, MK8 and Splatoon for a bit. I guess i'll boot up some games to see what is like to play nowadays

Am halfway through my replay of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, its hardest online quests are very difficult to solo without at least one other person. If you've ever wanted to play this classic, get it now.

I will of course continue to occasionally play the first and to this day best Splatoon game
Just curious as to why you feel it’s the best? I have no skin in the game because I don’t play splatoon, but I can relate in the sense that I love halo 2 and 3 multiplayer, but 4, 5, and infinite haven’t done much for me despite having new gameplay additions. For me its case of less is more. I have many friends who feel the same way about the purity of gears 1 multiplayer compared to the rest of the series. Would you say its the same for you?

Just a heads up to anyone, if I'm understanding what I saw on GameFaqs last week it sounds like the Bravely Default/Second servers have been AWOL for a while so if that was on your list of things to take care of before the shut down you can scratch it off the list. It does sound like the Dragon Quest VII server is still up though.

I just bought a 3DS and bought Pokemon X. How will I be affected by this?
You won't have access to online trading, Pokemon Bank functionality is supposed to sunset at some point (either on 4/8 or sometime after), and I think you probably can't get access to any distributions that are still available via SpotPass.

Fuck, I really need to start with the Pokemon Bank transfer stuff asap

I am, as most I guess, playing some older Pokémon-games. Good to know that I have time till April at least. Already finished a few! Some will also not take that much longer... I hope :D.

Just curious as to why you feel it’s the best? I have no skin in the game because I don’t play splatoon, but I can relate in the sense that I love halo 2 and 3 multiplayer, but 4, 5, and infinite haven’t done much for me despite having new gameplay additions. For me its case of less is more. I have many friends who feel the same way about the purity of gears 1 multiplayer compared to the rest of the series. Would you say its the same for you?
Cant speak for that poster, but I find 1 controls the best. The Gamepad just felt better when it came to gyro aiming plus having the map on the Gamepad and being able to clearly pick where you wanted to jump was far more intuitive than the map overlay they implemented in 2 and 3. In 1 you just glance at the map to see how things are, but in 2 and 3 having to press a button to bring up a map and completely obstruct your view and it just never felt as good. I found myself using super jumps and checking the map far less often in 2/3 cause of that.

Want to try to play Kid Icarus Uprising's online, and also hoping to get some people to trade me rare Pokemon (if anyone here's got a Hidden Ability male Nidoran that can be used in gen 7, hit me up!).

There was an unfinished level in Mario Maker 1 that will probably remain unfinished, sadly. I got pretty far in it too.
If anyone got that Nidoran hmu

That's part of it I'd say. It feels like a "purer" experience. The game is slower and controls a bit better thanks to the better controller response of the Wii U GamePad, the maps are more wacky and unique from one another, and I prefer a lot of aspects of the presentation such as the music and characters.

Back
Top Bottom