• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Previews Octopath Traveler II | Preview Thread

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him

Looks like Agnea is popular with thumbnails.

Soooooooooooo stoked for another comfy Octopath game.

Started the demo with Hikari because he gives me some serious Noah vibes. Although Ochette was my second pick.

I sincerely hope my issues with the first are addressed in this one. Adored the feel and vibe of the demo, would love to play the whole game but bailed from OT1 after 30 hours and just wanna make sure that doesn’t happen again lol

When people look back at the Switch generation, Xenoblade and Octopath Traveler will definitely be the highlights. Top tier JRPGs.

Man it does kinda suck I won't be playing this day 1, I just want to get it later this year when I'll be ready to sink my time into it.

Will enjoy what the demo offers until then though.

I think Octopath was an OK game that was pretty dang close to being excellent, so I’m definitely excited to see if this gets there! Will be picking this up from the library day 1

I found that the complaints with the first one were overblown. I really dug the little personal stories each character had.

From what I've played the combat feels snappier (and considering the first one was already great, that's saying something), I vastly prefer it over the one in the Bravely Default series by now. Hopefully the interactions between the cast is handled better since that is one of the few complaints I had with the original.

They have been very transparent about the criticism of the first game and how it was adressed in the sequel. What were your issues Octo 1?
They’ve addressed a lot of the common criticisms but mine haven’t yet been brought up (unless I missed it):
  • The lack of inactive party member EXP
  • Combined with the inability to swap out the starting character from the party
  • Combined with the inability to swap out the character whose story you are doing currently
  • Combined with the insane length of even basic trash mob battles starting chapter 2 and onwards that makes leveling and grinding a slog (to be fair the 2X speed for battles will probably help with this a little)
Are my biggest concerns (I had some other, such as relating to party interactions, but those already did get addressed elsewhere). Basically none of them by themselves is a dealbreaker, but all of them in tandem are just contradictory to one another and made the game an effort after a while, causing me to drop off. The demo, being only 3 hours, by definition cannot address these concerns (except the battle speed toggle which like I said I did appreciate), so I’m hoping for clarification from people before I jump in

They’ve addressed a lot of the common criticisms but mine haven’t yet been brought up (unless I missed it):
  • Combined with the inability to swap out the character whose story you are doing currently
  • Combined with the insane length of even basic trash mob battles starting chapter 2 and onwards that makes leveling and grinding a slog (to be fair the 2X speed for battles will probably help with this a little)
Your first 2 concerns are still a thing, I'm pretty sure the 3rd one is too.

For the last one I can't say, since grinding was non-existent in the first game for me.

I don't know who to start with and it's killing me

Went with Cyrus as my main last time and I was pretty happy with having a magic nuke in my party at all times, but I feel like I should do something different this time to mix it up and not go Scholar

Purple chests seem to be gone now, so Thief isn't as important to have as it was last time. That being said, always being able to steal from NPCs does sound convenient, so I kinda want to go Throne anyway, even though I thought Thief seemed kinda weak last time

Hikari looks cool and having a physical heavy hitter at all times would be nice, so maybe him? But I also like Partitio alot...

Gaaaaah, I hate that your starting character is locked in again

Your first 2 concerns are still a thing, I'm pretty sure the 3rd one is too.

For the last one I can't say, since grinding was non-existent in the first game for me.

In the last game, if you were engaging in all the systems and didn't try to do one characters playthrough from beginning to end, you did not have to grind whatsoever. Unfortunately how a person approaches playing Octopath can impact their playthrough.

Are my biggest concerns (I had some other, such as relating to party interactions, but those already did get addressed elsewhere). Basically none of them by themselves is a dealbreaker, but all of them in tandem are just contradictory to one another and made the game an effort after a while, causing me to drop off. The demo, being only 3 hours, by definition cannot address these concerns (except the battle speed toggle which like I said I did appreciate), so I’m hoping for clarification from people before I jump in
All of those points are negated once you understand that gear matters way more in Octopath than levels.

It was poorly conveyed in the game I concede, and goes against the standard RPG formula, but it does mean that adding underleveled member to your party isn't an issue.

All of those points are negated once you understand that gear matters way more in Octopath than levels.

It was poorly conveyed in the game I concede, and goes against the standard RPG formula, but it does mean that adding underleveled member to your party isn't an issue.
Honestly, fair enough! I am fully willing to accept I probably played it wrong (albeit yes, as you note, the game itself didnt do the best job of conveying this to me).

Regardless of my own reservations with OT2, I hope it is a wonderful game

Yeah, the „open world“ freedom that Octopath gave you was probably both a blessing and a curse for the game. I get the impression many players simply did 8 chapter 1s, followed by 8 chapter 2s, etc. I could see that being a slog that would turn many off of the game (and the formulaic chapter structure didn’t help either).

Since gear plays such a big focus, I only recruited 4 party members at first. You don’t have to worry about inactive party members not getting exp, since they were never part of my team, or not being able to switch your main character out if you limit yourself to 4.

Only after I finished my „main“ party’s chapters did I recruit the last 4 travelers, gave them all the top level equipment, and treated their chapters like a new game+. It did kill the challenge a bit until I was back at their chapter 4s, but at that point I was only playing for the stories anyway. Doing side dungeons in between chapters also helped break things up.

It will be interesting to see if I can carry over such a play style to OT2. Enjoying the demo a lot right now.

Last edited:
Also, OT rewarded the players who consistently engage in the Path Action system compared to playing the game like a traditional RPG. A player who consistently buys thier gear from shops or grinded monsters is more likely to be weaker than a person engages in beating up or stealing from an old lady. There were some NPCs that if you used a Path Action to duel once, you wouldn't get anything spectacular, but if you reset the area and challenged them several more times a powerful weapon/armor could drop. I think this is made easier in the sequel with the Day/Night system being a NPC Resetter by pressing ZR but I am not sure.

I get the impression many players simply did 8 chapter 1s, followed by 8 chapter 2s, etc. I could see that being a slog that would turn many off of the game (and the formulaic chapter structure didn’t help either).
This is exactly what I did, and definitely made me stall out on the game by around Chapter 3-4. I finished around... half the Chapter 4s, and then didn't end up completing the rest of the game. I really enjoyed a lot of it, but the formulaic structure, and more importantly, the limited job system, are what really turned me off the Chapter 3-4 section of the game.

I'm pretty excited about this one, though, and it seems like they've done a lot to help with some of the issues I had with the original (still not sure about the job system, though)

Yeah, in terms of open structure, Octopath is one of the most ambitious JRPG I played. So just do what you want and you'll have a great time !

Honestly, fair enough! I am fully willing to accept I probably played it wrong (albeit yes, as you note, the game itself didnt do the best job of conveying this to me).

Regardless of my own reservations with OT2, I hope it is a wonderful game
Don't worry, you were far from being the only one to face that issue. I saw even hardcore JRPG fans believing the game was one of the grindest in the genre.

I must be the only madman who picked the four I liked and just played with them. And yeah, hardly any grind needed to play that way.

Octopath II is severely tempting me, but I haven’t gotten to LaL, Chained Echoes and TriStrat yet, so it will have to wait.

Holy shit, this exactly what I didn't get in the first game. I really played it as a traditional RPG which meant I was totally missing the point.

Back
Top Bottom